Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#130260 - 04/16/08 05:07 AM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
How about the center of a cheap plastic fresnel lens? Carefully cut it to the size of the existing lens, and then slip it into the Mag's head behind the regular lens. I'm thinking fresnel lens as in something you'd see in a bookstore on the bookmark rack. I bought one of those a while back for less than dollar. I have idea how well this would work as a diffuser, if it would at all. If I could find my spares, I'd shine my Mag through one to check the results. I have one tightly sealed away in my hiking PSK, but I don't really want to open that up to dig it out.

#130261 - 04/16/08 05:15 AM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I ended up buying one of the Mini-mag led lights and am very happy with it.
I like mine a lot too.

I just found out - yesterday, as a matter of fact - what happens when the batteries die. The light just goes out, no warning. I though my switch had gone bad. I was cleaning the contacts, making sure everything was tight, disassembling and reassembling. You'd turn it on, it would be bright for a second or two, then off it goes. You turn it on again and it wouldn't work. Then again, and it would work for a second or two.

Then I remembered - hey, these things are highly regulated! I put in new batteries and all was good again. You really get NO WARNING when the batteries are about to die. Full brightness one second, then total darkness the next. If you're in a situation where you really need a flashlight, carry a small backup light (I always do, luckily).

#130280 - 04/16/08 12:22 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: haertig]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: haertig
How about the center of a cheap plastic fresnel lens? Carefully cut it to the size of the existing lens, and then slip it into the Mag's head behind the regular lens. I'm thinking fresnel lens as in something you'd see in a bookstore on the bookmark rack. I bought one of those a while back for less than dollar. I have idea how well this would work as a diffuser, if it would at all. If I could find my spares, I'd shine my Mag through one to check the results. I have one tightly sealed away in my hiking PSK, but I don't really want to open that up to dig it out.

There is a difference between a Fresnel magnifying lens and a Fresnel diffusing lens. I'm not sure you can interchange them as one would focus the beam and the other scatters it.

#130287 - 04/16/08 01:20 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: haertig]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: haertig
Then I remembered - hey, these things are highly regulated! I put in new batteries and all was good again. You really get NO WARNING when the batteries are about to die. Full brightness one second, then total darkness the next. If you're in a situation where you really need a flashlight, carry a small backup light (I always do, luckily).

I fly electric powered model helicopters. I talked to the maker of the speed regulator I use, and asked him why nobody makes a constant-RPM regulator for electric helicopters, like they do for gas ones. He said it was the same problem- you get NO warning when the battery is low. Which is bad on a helicopter! You need to be ready to land when the battery runs out.

#130291 - 04/16/08 01:49 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The basic difference being the prismatic angle of deflection. On a magnifier, the prismatic angle is facing towards the center of the lens, on a diffuser, it is facing away from the center, IIRC.

#130303 - 04/16/08 03:45 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: benjammin]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: benjammin
On a magnifier, the prismatic angle is facing towards the center of the lens, on a diffuser, it is facing away from the center, IIRC.

Yeah, you guys got me. I didn't consider the different types when I mentioned fresnel lens. The ones in bookmarks would be of the magnifying variety and wouldn't work. Whereas the ones you see stuck on the back of RV rear windows would be the diffuser variety, and MIGHT work. But buying a large RV model just so you could cut a 3/4" diameter circle out of the center of it might not the most cost-effective thing you could do!

#130342 - 04/16/08 10:29 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: haertig]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...But buying a large RV model just so you could cut a 3/4" diameter circle out of the center of it might not the most cost-effective thing you could do!..."

You could cut a jillion little discs out and sell them online, you could be rich!!!

#130371 - 04/17/08 03:35 AM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Have you looked into that stuff they sell at the hardware stores that is used to frost household windows? I’ve seen both thin plastic film coatings that are applied like the LCD screen protectors and thicker plastic rigid sheets.

Addendum: Another thing that might be readily available at your local hardware store are the plastic diffusers for light fixtures (i.e., fluorescent light lenses, etc.). There are many styles of these, of course, and some may work better then others for flashlight diffuser function.

P.S.: I have always found the hardware store a great place to wander when looking for improvisation material for a project.

Edited by JCWohlschlag (04/17/08 02:47 PM)
Edit Reason: Addendum

#137006 - 06/21/08 12:26 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
figtree
Unregistered

I know this is a lengthy process solution.......but not all that long ago on candel power forums........I came across a link to a company that sold actual glass/crystal lenses for the mini mags........which would be a really pro way to upgrade a mini mag........i could have swear that had a "frosted glass" equiv crystal lens...........

-I'll see what i can find

#137007 - 06/21/08 12:27 PM Re: mini Mag lite diffuser lens? Does it exist? [Re: ]
figtree
Unregistered

Found one link......

http://www.flashlightlens.com/

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 570 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.