Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129931 - 04/11/08 03:12 PM Solar radio
Hookpunch Offline

One thing I have so far neglected to get for my home survivial kit is a solar radio or really any radio that has an alternate power source besides batteries.

I realized the importance of staying informed after the big Eastern black out.

any recommendations?

#129932 - 04/11/08 03:15 PM Re: Solar radio [Re: Hookpunch]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Check out Freeplay radios. They have a crank. I have the Summit and it works well:

http://www.freeplayenergy.com/product/summit

#129933 - 04/11/08 03:25 PM Re: Solar radio [Re: Rusty]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I like this one, lots of options for powering it. If it had shortwave reception, I might think it was perfect:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CM%20R850_A_name_E_Sun+Tap+Ultra+Solar%2FDynamo+Radio%2FFlashlight

#129938 - 04/11/08 04:21 PM Re: Solar radio [Re: Hookpunch]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I think pretty much any solar radio would be all right for an emergency kit. It's doesn't seem too hard to make a decent solar-powered radio, in the same way it's uncommon to find a really crappy solar powered calculator.

However, the battery part of solar powered radios leaves much to be desired, particularly because most don't allow you to easily replace them when they go bad, which is important since these radios are often unused for long periods.

Personally, my favorite solar radio is any of the original Freeplay radios that used either solar or a spring-powered crank. The spring is never going to go bad from just sitting in the closet. I have the big, tabletop model, although they made the portable model with a spring, too. Even in complete darkness, 30-seconds of winding the spring will give me 30-45 minutes of radio, depending on the volume. I have a newer Freeplay and I don't like trying to charge the battery with the crank. It takes forever, and you never know when you're supposed to stop cranking since there's no "full charge" indicator. It's like wind-up flashlights--sounds good on paper, but I don't find them that practical in real use. However, some people don't mind, so if you've never tried it, please don't let my preferences totally dissuade you from giving one a try.

#129939 - 04/11/08 04:36 PM Re: Solar radio [Re: Dan_McI]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hookpunch,

Just get a solar PV panel such as the Sunlinq type and appropriate battery charger which can take a 12V input to recharge the batteries for all your needs and not just the radio.
Freeplay Freecharge can also be used if solar becomes unworkable.

http://www.freeplayenergy.com/product/freecharge12v

Good high quality SW, AM and FM radios are avialable such as the Roberts R9921 or Roberts R876 or Sony ICF-SW7600GR which are designed to work with AA cells.

Cheaper models are available but don't perform as well especially on the coverage and the ability to discriminate radio broadcast channels for especially for World SW frequencies such as the BBC World Service.

Eneloop NiMh rechargeable AA type cells are preferrable as they keep their charge much longer i.e over a year. A set of AAs can be charging under solar while the other set of AAs is in use.

A small set of headphones for the radio will also help reduce battery drain and therefore increases the radios battery life before recharging is required.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/11/08 04:38 PM)

#129941 - 04/11/08 04:47 PM Re: Solar radio [Re: Hookpunch]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've had unpleasant experiences with cheap crank radio/flashlight combos. I have one that has failed sitting in the drawer with no use for several months - I crank it for two minutes, and the lights come on but the radio no longer plays.

This is one of those things that we get to make a judgment on: many things can be cheap crap and get us by, but some things we need to have working when we need it. It may be that a radio is something we can get by without. If so, I'd buy a few cheap ones with solar panels and cranks and such. But if we're going to really need the radio, I'd buy a good one from a known manufacturer that provides a warranty. (Not that the warranty will do me any good, but if the maker provides one, I'll expect some reliability.)

I like the idea from another poster about using a stand-alone solar panel to provide charges to real batteries. I have such a panel, and I'll do just that. I have radios that run on AAs, and I have a AA charger.

#129948 - 04/11/08 05:52 PM Re: Solar radio [Re: philip]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I use an external solar panel to charge my portable AM, FM Shortwave.

I looked at those solar & hand crank radios and found the sensitivity lacking. They are OK for local AM & FM stations, but any long range listening (DX) they are not up to the task.

I use a Sangean 803-A, and a Radio Shack DX-392 (also made by Sangean)

With the solar panel I get a fairly good radio and also have a solar recharging ability.

You should decide what you want in a radio, if you want local stations the hand crank / solar radios may do it for you. If you like to listen to shortwave or enjoy AM DX I would go with the external solar panel.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#129949 - 04/11/08 05:55 PM Re: Solar radio [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I have the freeplay radio that does crank, solar, weather stations and can charge off USB. I like it a lot so far but haven't used it enough to really review it yet.

#129955 - 04/11/08 07:08 PM Re: Solar radio [Re: Hookpunch]
narly51 Offline
Stranger

Picked up a Kaito KA009 for under $40 and IMHO it's a good value emergency radio. It's worked reasonably well for me. A review is available at the address below:

www.monitoringtimes.com/mtrevumar07.pdf

It's one more option to consider.

Edited by narly51 (04/11/08 10:24 PM)

#129983 - 04/12/08 12:39 AM Re: Solar radio [Re: Hookpunch]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Why not a small AA powered radio, and a solar charger for AAs? It is more versatile.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.