Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#129722 - 04/09/08 10:06 PM So.....am I crazy?
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I’ve always treated survival prep as just that, prep for any situation that may potentially get myself or those around me killed. This involves a lot of stuff in my mind, and it does not always revolve around that ever popular “lost in the woods alone” scenario. It Could be a car accident, a robber, a fire or whatever. I often train/practice things that will give me any available edge in a bad situation. I regularly try to take courses in first aid, accident scene management training, defensive drivers courses, instinctive shooting, self defense training etc (above and beyond what the Army teaches) because in my mind I may someday need those skills (or need those skills again)

In my mind this is perfectly logical

After buying my house one of my first bits of survival training was to pace out all the areas of the house and then practice walking them blindfolded. I wanted to be able to find my way to the nearest window or to the door even if I was totally blind. In my mind there are many reasons this may be useful, but the biggest reason would be waking up and having the house full of smoke. Without being able to see I could get to the kids room, and then to the nearest escape even if blinded by smoke (in theory anyway) Of course this is easier said than done….so I practice it from time to time. Sounds silly but in all honesty I can feel my way through my house at night with skill that only my cat can match(most of the time)

Last night after changing the batteries in all the smoke/Carbon monoxide detectors I decided to give it a go as I was a while since I had practiced this hope to God I never need it, but will be glad IF I ever need it skill. Things went well until I tripped over my kid’s guitar hero controller. No big deal, it was good for a laugh.(no doubt it would have been good on video)
When I shared this story with friends over lunch however, they were quite amused by it. Not the fact that I tripped, but the fact that I was blindfolded walking through my house practicing fire escape. In fact, they seem to think I am completely nuts for even considering the possibility of such nonsense. I was taken aback. Some part of me thinks that everyone else must do this kind of stuff as well. Why wouldn’t you? I mean really
I guess I won’t get into detail about the other things I practice doing in case of emergency but I was really surprised that everyone thought I was the crazy one. I first was drawn to this forum because it appeared that there were a few people here who think very much alike but….

Am I the only person who does this stuff? Am I really nuts, or is it everyone around me?

Sure would feel less nuts if other people here did similar things. Let me know.

#129724 - 04/09/08 10:16 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
LaLine Offline
Stranger

Loc: Utah
If you're crazy then so am I. I've been working on a couple of articles to put on our family's web page about preparedness and how to get started. One of the ideas I was putting out there for them to practice was walking through their house blindfolded. Better to practice now when all they have to worry about is feeling stupid rather then do it when they are scared spit-less.

BTW, I must thank all of you on this forum for your fabulous posts. I've been lurking for quite a while as I feel like I'm very inexperienced in this area, but the more I read the more I feel like my knowledge is increasing. I've only been able to practice a few of the things I've learned here, but I'm now in a CERT training class at work and I actually feel a little more prepared then some of the others in the class. So thanks to you all.

#129726 - 04/09/08 10:16 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
technician Offline
Stranger

Loc: S Central Kansas
No, you're not crazy, just better prepared than your lunchmates.

#129730 - 04/09/08 11:05 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Great idea, but I think that you are doing one thing wrong. In a house/building full of smoke, you won't be able to walk around, there will be too much smoke for you to breath. You need to get down on the floor, as low as you can go. So I would suggest that you do all of your practicing on your hands and knees, crawling as low and fast as you can go. Then have the entire family practice crawling in line, possibly with a hand on the ankle of the person in front. You, of course, will be leading the pack...

#129732 - 04/09/08 11:07 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Taurus,

You are not alone in your training just among friends who are just scattered over a large area (e.g. worldwide).

Welcome to the ETS Forum, Laline. This is a fun, interesting place to learn.

Mike

#129733 - 04/09/08 11:16 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: SwampDonkey]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Taurus, a big ditto on OBG. Heat rises, as well as smoke. In a real fire, the air on the ground is cooler (relative to standing upright, which may be several hundred degrees), and clearer. In fact, many FF's crawl around too while in structure fires. Don't forget to check any closed doors before you go through them.

2nd, having a good light is essential in this environment. That's a no-brainer.

3rd, no, I don't do this. I do, however, leave the lights off during late-night restroom runs. So I pretty much know how far to my restroom, and that passes 3 windows.

#129735 - 04/09/08 11:36 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Welcome home as well! No, your not crazy. I do the same thing except I do it like OBG suggests, on your hands and knees. As any of the other firefighters (i'll have 19 years in Sept)on here can tell you the air is significantly cooler, cleaner and much easier to see through! I can brag that my 9 and 6 year old daughters can climb out and down the escape ladder in their room faster than I can! grin

#129736 - 04/09/08 11:47 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: MDinana]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Quote:
a big ditto on OBG. Heat rises, as well as smoke.

True, point well taken. I have considered this but I am still concerned with the pacing part yet.(getting fairly quick) I have tried it crawing a few times. I even tried it with a wet rag over my face once. If you do make sure you keep one arm fully extended while crawling.And make sure the wife is not home or you may Secretly end up on youtube(lol)

Quote:
having a good light is essential in this environment.

Oh, dont worry. I have about 3 emergency lights in every room of the house. I practice without only because I want to know I can do it in the worst case(short of filling up the house with smoke).

Thanks guys. Now I dont feel so crazy after all(lol) If I am at least I am in good company here. crazy

#129737 - 04/09/08 11:47 PM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Taurus,

Apparently more people are killed by their trousers than killed by bears in Canada every year. I don't know the statistics for those who have been killed whilst falling down stairs wearing a blindfold but I suspect it could possibly be more than those killed by bears in Canada every year. wink

#129738 - 04/10/08 12:01 AM Re: So.....am I crazy? [Re: Taurus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, you're crazy..... like the proverbial fox.

Real crazy is the attitude that nothing will ever happen to you.

Real crazy is when something happens and you don't know what to do, where to go, or generally how to deal with it.

Real crazy is standing around crying or curling up in a ball in a corner with smoke swirling all around you.

Hey, your coworkers can absorb it all through their optic nerves while they watch Bear Gryllis, can't they? Now THAT'S real preparation!

Never pay attention to idiots because you're not responsible for how, or if, they think.

Sue

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 518 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.