The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128659 - 03/28/08 11:58 PM Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Today, I had to deal with a rooster that turned way aggressive on my kid, and as an experiment, I wondered if a fairly basic Swiss Army Knife was sufficient for a start to finish butchering job. It is - just barely. But if you keep the blade REALLY sharp and if you have the very handy scissors, it's totally do-able. The only thing I'd say was really hard was getting the darn head off after it bled out. Getting the feet off wasn't hard at all, and the rest was almost trivial. I did use the big pot 'o water to de-feather and all that, if it was a real survival situation, I'd have just skinned it and not bothered with the whole feathering, but he had enough meat to be a small meal. Anyway, it's good to use tools you think you might need one day in a way you think you might actually use them.

#128666 - 03/29/08 12:58 AM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I can't do anything with a SAK, since I don't like them, but I am pretty sure I could whack the head off of a rooster (or hen) with the serriated blade on my Leatherman Wave...

#128667 - 03/29/08 01:00 AM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: MartinFocazio]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Excellent! I never butchered one with a SAK. You did good saving the skin. For me, that's the only way to go.

What kind of rooster was it? We have Rhode Island Reds, Cochins, Orpingtons, some weird bantams, and some new ones that I think are called "Wells Summers" (never heard of them and can't find them in a search)

#128669 - 03/29/08 01:07 AM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: Stretch]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Imagine that. On another tab, I was looking at a new chicken website and what do you know? Welsummers chickens. There we go.

#128674 - 03/29/08 01:54 AM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: MartinFocazio]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Martin,

I have not cleaned a chicken since I was a kid at my Grandparents about 35 years ago, I just remember the "running with no head" part.

How much different is cleaning a chicken to cleaning a grouse? For grouse using anything but your hands is optional.

Mike

#128680 - 03/29/08 02:33 AM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Izzy took the words right out of my mouth. Cleanup is the reason why hunters/fisherman/chicken-processors reach for fixed blades.

I grew up dealing with fryers (farm chickens raised for meat not eggs), so I have no doubt a SWAK would get it done. Though all you need is a small, sharp paring knife.

But it seems to me that unless you soak the whole SWAK in bleach, you will never look at the toothpick and tweezers the same way again.

(P.S., I've never cleaned a grouse. Please elaborate. I'm not squeamish, as long as things are done humanely.)

(P.P.S, I have a collection of made-for-purpose knives from my grandfather's shop. One was specifically designed to end the lives of turkeys, without noticeable bloodshed. If you're really squeamish, don't ask how it was done.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/29/08 02:34 AM)

#128682 - 03/29/08 03:00 AM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: dougwalkabout]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

I've never cleaned a grouse, but maybe it's the same as doves. You hold the bird on it's back in one palm. With the other hand, you push your index and middle finger into the birds chest, below the breast. The you lift up and out and out comes the breast in one piece.

#128684 - 03/29/08 03:20 AM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
(P.S., I've never cleaned a grouse. Please elaborate. I'm not squeamish, as long as things are done humanely)

The following grouse cleaning method is not for the sensitive/squeamish, its just the normal way it's done around here.

On a grouse almost all the useable meat is in the breast.

You lay the dead bird on it's back, step on the wings close to the body, pull on the feet hard and the bird turns inside out. The wings and breast remain on the ground and the rest pulls clear attached to the legs. Snap/twist the wings off and you have 95% of the meat. The legs have about one small bite of thigh meat each, the drumsticks are full of sharp thin bones. If I have enough grouse I keep the legs for grouse/rice soup with carrots and celery (very nice).

You need to weigh a little to use this method, my 8 year old daughter tried it and was not heavy enough to hold the grouse down. I often just seperate the grouse breast/wings from the rest of the bird without laying it on the ground (especially if the ground is muddy or sandy). Tear the shin off the grouse breast and grip the breast tightly in your hand with your index finger in/under the crop, grasp the head/neck/crop in your other hand and pull hard down and away. You will be left with the breast/wings in one hand and the rest of the bird in the other.

Grouse are usually cleaned in the field before coming home, I try to do it near water so I can clean up after. The remains are left in the bush for the critters, they have to eat too (from nature, back to nature, nothing really ever goes to waste).

I apoligize if this is a little to graffic for some; Moderator if this is "over the edge" feel free to delete.

Mike

#128685 - 03/29/08 04:06 AM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: SwampDonkey]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Lets hope you dont end up with another "mike"

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/story.html

#128696 - 03/29/08 01:25 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: Chisel]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Chisel,

Interesting "headless chicken" story, I had never heard it before!

Mike
(with head intact)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.