Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129047 - 04/02/08 11:38 AM Re: The biggest mistake of my life... [Re: KG2V]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, here's my fix for breaking the addiction.

Wife and daughters got hooked on AI while I was out of country. No big deal, except when I get back and am stuck watching the show, listening to the hype etc. So since the youngest daughter has a sweet sweet singing voice, I suggest maybe she should try out. One thing leads to another, and last fall she ended up coming down to try out here in Miami. Of course the reality how this show really works busted her and her mother's chops pretty good, as they didn't even make the first cut. So now they are all boycotting the show in protest; good for me. You might think that is a bit expensive of a fix, but I needed to see my daughter anyways, so it was worth it.

Since that rude awakening, other reality shows have come under increasing scrutiny. Dancing with the Stars has lost it's appeal when the wife's choices kept getting the boot.

Now her favorite reality show is Ghost Hunters, which I am okay with, and she is letting me watch more reality shows on the Outdoor Channel and the Food Network, so my tv time has gone up a little.

#129058 - 04/02/08 01:29 PM Re: The biggest mistake of my life... [Re: Blitz]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
When they come up with a "reality" show that is somewhere near reality we might start watching. Amazing Race is semi-ok, it is for the most part pure competition, not much of that backstabbing infighting stuff that goes on elsewhere.

As for Dolly, try to find one of her music DVD's, that way you can watch too. Or at least Nine to Five...

#129067 - 04/02/08 03:44 PM Re: The biggest mistake of my life... [Re: JCWohlschlag]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
You got me there JCW,

I am a big fan of Survivorman and Ray Mears, I have even been to a couple of the field locations where they did episodes. But I of course call these "Educational Programs" nothing like my DW's trashy reality TV shows.

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I have been known, in a weak moment, to even watch "Man vs Wild", but don't tell anyone O.K.

#129069 - 04/02/08 03:51 PM Re: The biggest mistake of my life... [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Go Food Network!!! However, they can do away with "The Great American Cook-Off". I managed to make it through 45 seconds of the show before Guy Fieri drove me nuts. He should be driving in his convertible. On the other hand, Rachael, Giada, Gabby, MMMM!

#129097 - 04/02/08 05:58 PM Re: The biggest mistake of my life... [Re: MoBOB]
Hookpunch Offline

I hear you , American Idol is to music what professional wrestling is to sport....just and obscene spectacle that is an insult to real musicians.

As for Food Network...I watch that finding myself fascinated by the latest and greatest in cutlery. Right now I am busy buying Japanese Chef's Knives from here.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/

They also have sport knife retailer

http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/

#129142 - 04/03/08 12:47 AM I feel your pain [Re: Blitz]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
The wife and daughter watch the show every week. I sit at the computer and look at ETS and TN Gun Owner's forum. Right now i am listening to it and trying to ignore it. I can't wait until it is over.

#129165 - 04/03/08 03:40 AM Re: I feel your pain [Re: REDDOG79]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
You know TV is really over rated these days with all these reality (scripted) shows.

I find I'm watching a lot less of it, and am the better for it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#129211 - 04/03/08 05:02 PM Re: I feel your pain [Re: BobS]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
OK, this is where I have to either hang my head low OR stand firm in my manly confidence while I admit that ...

My wife & I took our two kids (ages 10 & 11) to see last year's American Idol Tour live stage show when they came to the Chicago area. It was actually a very entertaining and super kid-friendly squeeky-clean show.

We watched season 1, then ignored it for several years, and then started watching it again last year. Now we're watching it again this year and I won't be surprised if we go to the live tour show again this summer (or whenever it comes again).

#129217 - 04/03/08 05:14 PM Re: I feel your pain [Re: KenK]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hey, long as you are willing to separate the entertainment value of semi-professional performers on tour from the PC popularity contest that determines who goes and who gets sent home, it should be acceptable. I just don't care much for the way the go about deciding who's the best.

#129226 - 04/03/08 06:32 PM Re: I feel your pain [Re: benjammin]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I saw an interview with Simon from American Idol, the interviewer said that he was amazed how bad some of the contestants are. Simon said that the ones we see are the better performers and the really bad one were filtered out long before they ever get on the air. He said the ones we see actually think they are good.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.