Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#128250 - 03/25/08 04:37 AM Traveling light
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I am on a different boat than my normally assigned one, due to the extreme high water on the Western Rivers that has been in the news. Because I am shifting around, I am travelling very light.

I have:
my EDC (Buck 110, Leatherman multi-tool, cord, mini maglight, magnifying glass, Bic lighter, cell phone, eye glasses, bandanna)

A duffle w/shoulder straps (for a ruck), FAK, very small Possibles Bag (5 Bic lighters, sewing kit, etc), 2 blankets, sheets, cigarettes.

2 messenger bags w/shoulder straps (cash-bills & coins, paper & pens/pencil, small candy bars, roadmaps)

My Life Jacket (emergency whistle, flashing red light, flashlight, batteries, 35 & 55gal trashbags, signal mirror, leather gloves)

PVC sealable tube on a shoulder strap

The boat has:

Canned and dry food, bottled water, 35 & 55 gal trashbags, zip ties, rope, small tarp, pot, dishware, utensils, and about anything else I'd need except for a compass.

#128269 - 03/25/08 01:39 PM Re: Traveling light [Re: wildman800]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think if you look at the extreme things that can happen they fall into categories; TSHTF ashore and the boat is fine; the boat has problems and you need to leave but nothing is happening ashore; and all you-know-what breaks loose and both boat and shore are in trouble.

So long as the boat has no problems, your stuff on board is of use if you need to make your way home without normal transportation and supplies. If you could scrounge some food and a tarp for such a trip, and I imagine these are likely to be available, then I think your are doing ok. A blanket might be nice to take too.

If the boat has a problem and nothing ashore is really amiss, you seem fine, espcially on the Rivers. grab the lifejacket and just get off, if that time ever comes. If you can get off, you should not be too far from land and hopefully civilization. I think that if I wanted to add anything to your gear, it would be to maybe attach a lighter to your lifejacket or put a match or two inside one of the lights attached to it. If you ever went swimming in a hurry and were not close to civilization, a fire might help you dry out and get warm.

The last, worse-case scenario I see happening only during a hurricane or tsunami. In the worse-case, keep you alive first, because otherwise you cannot do anyone else any good. it's good that this is not the time of year for hurricanes and that is not an area known for tsunamis. I've never known of many companies that did not try to get their boats away from hurricanes.

Also, how about something for water, in case you need to mkae the long walk home from the boat. Something that can hold it and make it drinkable it. Might not be able to add it to the stuff this week, but it is a thought.

Edited by Dan_McI (03/25/08 02:31 PM)

#128289 - 03/25/08 06:00 PM Re: Traveling light [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Additional realizations/comments:

General Note:
The only event that would cause me to leave this boat & still have time to gather equipment/supplies first: IS an EMP event!

No, I would not try to carry or make use of all of my bags and other gear. I would share my excess bags with my shipmates that need some bags to carry their BoB type gear.

The life jacket gets stripped and dropped as soon as I get onshore!

From the boat: Fire axe

Equipment/Supplies Notes:
The PVC tube can carry additional water from the boat.

From 1 messenger bag: Large plastic coffee cup w/lid.

#128295 - 03/25/08 06:31 PM Re: Traveling light [Re: wildman800]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

I know about boats that are holes in the water for motors, and I've run for the bulwarks in my skivvies. Lucky for me, I got to stop running before I got to the bulwarks (the wire that was tripping us parted, and we settled down to make coffee and go chase the barge). I also know guys who got out through wheelhouse windows, and I've thought about a jump from the wheelhouse door (Lucky me again, things got better fast). Getting out and off is sometimes enough. Trying to gather equipment/supplied first is probably asking too much time.

I was thinking of something like a water bottle, or even just a ziploc bag, empty except for maybe some iodine or chlorine tablets. It's going to be of use only in some unusual circumstances, but it is something fairly cheap and light that could be of use.

Of course, I never thought of any of this stuff when I was afloat. I had the gumby suit and life jackets accessible and that was about it.

#128348 - 03/26/08 02:50 AM Re: Traveling light [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm a little confused (a common occurance). What is the duffle/ruck carrying? The 2 messenger bags and other few things, or something else???

#128360 - 03/26/08 04:42 AM Re: Traveling light [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The duffle will carry food, blankets, water, and most everything else I need to take with me, to walk home.

The other bags are with me and have certain components that I would use. I would strip what I need from those bags and let my bagless shipmates use them, to get themselves home.

Contrary to what DanMcl seems to think, I am not concerned with my boat sinking, it's taller than the water is deep. I am back in the canals.

I took stock of canned foods on this boat today. They don't have much that would qualify as "C-Rats". They have chili, hot tamales, & soups. If I'm here for the next grocery order, I'll order more "C-Rats" type of canned goods. They do have lots of Raman Noodles.

I am concerned about having sufficient equipment/supplies to enable me to walk home in the event of an EMP incident.

Edited by wildman800 (03/26/08 04:43 AM)

#128415 - 03/26/08 04:57 PM Re: Traveling light [Re: wildman800]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I am not concerned with my boat sinking, it's taller than the water is deep. I am back in the canals.

Yeah, that could significantly lower ones concern with sinking.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 254 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.