Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#128430 - 03/26/08 06:50 PM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: ssmith_1187]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My mistake, spare lithium batteries are not allowed in cheched baggage as of Jan. 1st, 2008.

link

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#128433 - 03/26/08 07:33 PM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: falcon5000]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks for the info, so many things have changed since I've had a chance to head to the third world and it should be interesting this go around. I have been gearing up on a lot of non metallic items as well like money belts as well as the zipper belt (non metallic zippers)etc.. to put normal stuff to pass through the detectors seamless. Nothing illegal, just papers, money things of that nature and some basic kit items like a small signal mirror, plastic whistle, magnifying frenzel lens, etc.. I'm bringing on a mosquito net for sleeping (backpacker style) and cut down the 50 foot cords as suggested into 4 equal pieces because I won't have a knife until I get into country and then I'll acquire one locally. On the way back probably concerns me the most because along time ago I always got a hard time trying to bring things back with crooked customs on the third world side, so I'm trying to also gear up with items that may get stolen or confiscated. Usually they never cared about bags or water filters but GPS or the military compass may interest them as well as solar may stick out. I'm trying to blend as much as I can with the sheep but still giving me a positive edge. The military stuff and the watershed dry bag may start to single me out, so I've been trying to adjust loads and cloths to have everything I need in a carry on, no checked luggage and every thing on me, non magnetic and non field reflective.
Thanks for the advice all and I have much work to do.

Update: Maybe the PSK in the money belt may be a bad idea if they are using the new millimeter wave portal. So much for freedom I guess... At least the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. or should I say the heard loves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4388OfZEI

Edited by falcon5000 (03/26/08 11:15 PM)

#128473 - 03/27/08 12:58 AM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: falcon5000]
NAro Offline
Addict

"Over the pond" doesn't narrow things down much. My experience in England, Ireland, the Netherlands, and Costa Rica has been that the security and customs people were honest, courteous, and professional. Perhaps I've been lucky. But my policy is to hide NOTHING. Something innocent and allowable, in a belt or neck wallet, is apt to at least slow you down. EVERYTHING I carry which is along PSK lines is clearly visable in my carry-on.. in clear plastic bags.

IMHO much of the delay and occasional "attitude" around TSA or customs is simply people trying to "see what they can get by with" and hiding things. For instance: I don't know for certain if my BSA ferro rod fire starter is officially ok. Mine is clearly visable, on the zipper of my carry-on daypack, with a photon led light. Never a problem. But I'll bet there would have been a problem if I'd stuffed it in the toe of a shoe or something.

Incidentally, my large toenail clipper (I did break off the pointed file) has been a better cutting tool than as a nail clipper. Cuts paracord easily. And, it'll produce a spark with my BSA ferro rod. Never brought a second glance.

My signal mirror is with my bic razor. Clear plastic bag. Never a question. My paracord is with my duct tape and a small sewing kit (yep..needles..and carpet thread)... clearly visable. I can't imagine them being questioned: they never have. I carry 2-3 rolls of dental floss. Never been asked to prove that they're for oral hygiene rather than tying stuff up!!

I've carried a water filter pump and carbon filter to Costa Rica. No problem. Can't imagine why I'd even consider bringing one to Europe. But again, I don't know where you're going.

Lighters. Just follow the rules as posted on the link to TSA. A couple of books of matches, and a couple of bic lighters, easily travel without question in my carry-on. Generally nestled in a plastic bag with a few cigars or pipe/tobacco... but not hidden.

Medications/first aid products. If they're OTC here, they're probably OTC there. That's not true coming back to the States. But I don't bring anything I haven't SEEN OTC in both directions.

I do carry some prescription medications such as antibiotics, anti-emetics, and pain medications (which I know how and when to use). I DON'T carry them in their original containers. I know... this isn't the common advice. But I put them in tiny plastic bags (found in the beadwork department of my Hobby Lobby)or I carry the bubble-packed physician samples. I have my pharmacist print an extra "travel" copy of the label...and that goes in the bag. Also, I have a one page listing of these prescription drugs on a Physician's letterhead with his signed note that he has prescribed these medications to me (he had no problems doing this..as it was the truth). Nothing "covert": I'm legally entitled to have them under our DEA regulations, I can prove it, and it has never gone past that.

The only time I've ever had trouble is bringing back a blackthorn walking stick I cut myself on a farm in Ireland. Unvarnished and unprocessed. To my great surprise, the Department of Agriculture checkpoint in Newark was of the opinion that I was possibly bringing in some wood-borer or other pest. Confiscated it. Politely, professionally, cordially. However, they thought the Irish Whiskey was harmless and passed it easily. Little did they know what harm that Powers Gold did to me!

#128481 - 03/27/08 02:14 AM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: NAro]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If your walking stick had reeked of Irish whiskey, you might not have had a problem. An old friend of my father's always said there wasn't a bug that it couldn't kill.

Sue

#128499 - 03/27/08 12:51 PM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: NAro]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
There is a reason that whiskey is called the "uisce beatha," "water of life" in Gaelic.

#128500 - 03/27/08 01:01 PM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: Susan]
NAro Offline
Addict

SUE!
"reeked of Irish whiskey"
I'm hurt, Sue. Thats an "aroma" or "perfume..of Irish Whiskey". Please, not reeked. (he says, as he pours another).

#128502 - 03/27/08 01:22 PM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: NAro]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: NAro
SUE!
"reeked of Irish whiskey"
I'm hurt, Sue. Thats an "aroma" or "perfume..of Irish Whiskey". Please, not reeked. (he says, as he pours another).

That's a very good point.

#128505 - 03/27/08 01:40 PM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: Dan_McI]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Coming back from Mexico last week I had a lighter confiscated, the agent told me you are only allowed one per person. I had two stored in my shaving kit. Not a big deal.

I agree with making everything as easy to see and access for the agents as possible. Also, read up on the rules at the TSA web site. Prep work ahead will save you a lot of grief at the airport, eg. liquids in the quart sized plastic bag. The goal is to make the agent's job as easy as possible to examine your stuff.

You may wish to consider simply checking your bag if you are concerned with some items. Carry on the most valuable items and check the rest.

#128580 - 03/28/08 12:13 AM Re: Overseas traveling question [Re: NAro]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

NAro, you've given me a great idea for my set up and thanks. I've had corruption if immigration officials from Philippines to Mexico and now I'm exploring a new little island that is very far from land (Not Hawaii) So it will be island surviving involving several puddle jumpers aircraft to get me there. I am now realizing with the new requirements with carry on will not cut it for my stay duration, so I will have to check a sacrificial clothing bag checked. If TSA wants to steal my underwear then so be it. I also will take your advice upon just throwing all my stuff in the carry on except for money and passport.
Thanks all for the advice, I'm slowly forced to evolve to make the heard happy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.