Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128136 - 03/24/08 02:06 AM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I agree with Izzy, that's a nice looking peice of land. However, wouldn't it make sense to put the garden on the north side of the pond? It would get more sunlight that way, wouldn't it?

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#128146 - 03/24/08 05:32 AM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: Blast]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
That's a worthy project. Lots of good ideas already posted.

Blast makes an interesting point: the pond is already a cleared area, giving increased sunlight to the northern side. I'd go out regularly and mark the limits of sunlight early in the season.
Of course, the topography may not be suitable (if, say, it's a low area).

You could create a micro-climate for tomatoes, squash and peppers with a 6-10' solid panel wood fence near the back of your garden. "Indeterminate" tomato varieties will climb all the way up. Pick the spot with maximum hours of direct sunlight. This is a good spot for composting too.

Another consideration: are there any "night raiders" about (deer, rabbits/hares)? They will clean you out unless you fence the perimeter; dig the fence well into the ground.

I like the idea of trimming/topping "junk" trees to increase your light exposure.

Hope the project comes together well.

BTW: I'm told that Troy-Bilt is not what it was. The company went under, the name was bought out, and the new product is not nearly as robust as it was in years past. So consider a careful investigation before buying.

#128153 - 03/24/08 11:38 AM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: dougwalkabout]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Hmm....
Just found this summertime image of the property, and I think that I might need to re-think this whole project:

Thats a LOT of tree cover, and while I know that the pond gets direct sunlight for part of the day, it's not for long.

I tell you, when we bought this place, I thought I'd love being in a heavily wooded lot, but I kind of wish we had a clear acre or two now that we're here for a while.

My neighbors behind me have 18 acres, of which 5 are clear and open meadow. Having cleared yet another fallen tree off of a smashed animal pen, I'm starting to think that it's time to start dropping more trees.

Oh, and for the folks suggesting that I contact a woodlot management company - it seems that Tulip Poplar (the trees I want down most) cost $110/hour to mill, plus the cost of transportation to the mill. It was suggested that I could get 2x4 or similar dimensional lumber out of them. At $110 an hour, I'd get about 80 2x whatevers, which is cheaper than in the stores IF they are good quality.

There's a black walnut that has no commercial value (it's too small) and one massive red oak which is so huge that there's going to be a big cost to take it down in the first place ($1,700) plus hauling and milling. The rest are an assortment of ash, some cedars (small), some maples (mixed, 1 or 2 sugar maples in there) and several small Hickories, which I'd love to keep, but I have other, larger and highly productive ones on the property and we like to snack on the nuts.

So, basically, my woodlot is an expense, not an asset, and to take it down would require special permits, which I could not get anyway.

Oh well, back to the community garden plot we've been doing at the farm a few miles away. I was hoping to be more local.

#128156 - 03/24/08 11:59 AM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm confused, special permits to cut down trees on your land?

#128167 - 03/24/08 01:39 PM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: Eugene]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think the only possible solution that will allow you to have any garden that received sunlight is to cut down your 20 trees on the northside around the pond, and then fence the area off. next chance you get to cut down another bunch of trees, suct them down in the same area.

The soil should be fairly fertile. If you make a good compost pile each year, that should take care of most of the soil's needs. For the next year.

#128168 - 03/24/08 01:47 PM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Martin,

How about planting "wild foods"? Meet with some of the forestry experts and find out what berries, mushrooms, tubers, vines, ferns, and other edible wild plants could grow throughout your woods. It probably wouldn't be as productive as a regular garden but it would be something you could start now to help suppliment your meals. Heck, you might already have a lot of food growing there.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#128174 - 03/24/08 02:01 PM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: Blast]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Blast has a good idea. I know of one plant that would provide a decent amount of sustenance, even if you only used it because it attracted critters. Chufa is a plant that forms a starchy tuber like a cross of a potato and a peanut, and the tuber is edible. It also attracts deer and turkey, so it might help stock the freezer.

You might already have and should be able to grow ramps.

Have you considered stocking the pond? You could probably stock with a number of fish. Channel cats should work and there is a lot of info available on raising them.

Finally, if you really want some trees gone and cannot cut them down legally, considering putting a couple pigs out there for a short while where you want the garden. They will clear out trees and leave fertile soil behind.

Edited by Dan_McI (03/24/08 02:01 PM)

#128187 - 03/24/08 03:30 PM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: MartinFocazio]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Martin,

Nice property.

I had a bushlot 15 years ago and had a lot of fun improving it. Each year I cut firewood to heat 3 houses, planted the thin soiled areas to white pine/red oak and harvested deer/grouse and hares.

In 1996 I had to relocate to keep my job so I sold the house and property; it is now a golf course.

Mike

#128188 - 03/24/08 03:38 PM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: MartinFocazio]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

Forest farming: raising fruits, mushrooms, nuts, medicinal plants on woodlots. Who knew?
http://hwwff.cce.cornell.edu/learning.php

This si the Cornell coop ext website, offers multi-media training for lots of stff. The UKentucky site indicates that tulip poplar was used for ship and canoe building.

#128195 - 03/24/08 04:39 PM Re: From Forest to Farmland [Re: Eugene]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Yes, if you want to cut down more than 20 trees in total in any given year, or if you want to clear an area larger than 100x100, you need to go to the township council and apply for a permit.

Clear-cutting is specifically named as an illegal act in my township, and the can and do enforce it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 516 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
2 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.