Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#128227 - 03/25/08 12:35 AM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: Xterior]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
ONCE AN HOUR?? What a treat!

At my closest bus stop, the bus comes at 6:15, 6:40 and 7:30 AM and comes back at 16:15, 17:05 and 17:55. That's it. No other buses.

That's why I have to drive so far (almost 20 miles) to the other station.

#128229 - 03/25/08 01:24 AM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: MartinFocazio]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
All over the United States, it's the same story. There's AMPLE demand for mass transit, there's nowhere near the infrastructure to support the number of people who WOULD use mass transit if they COULD.

I don’t know that I agree with that. It may work for a big city like New York. But here in Toledo Ohio it will not.

The way people go to work here is much different then NY or LA. Here business are spread all over the place, downtown Toledo is not the center of business like it is in NY. Much of it is in the blurbs in buildings that are under 2-stories tall. With a high-rise building you can have thousands of people in a small area. But with a bunch of 2-story buildings spread all over the area in many cities it becomes impossible to bus people to them very well.

Toledo has buses, but they are on limited loops and used mostly by lower income people that don’t or can’t drive. And many of the surrounding cities are voting to opt-out of the TARTA system (Toledo area bus system.) 2 of them in the last week voted to opt-out.

My guess is that most of the USA is like this and just not well served by a public bus system like it is in a larger city like NY.

I haven’t been on a bus since high school other then one vacation trip, it’s the same way with almost everyone I know.

Every business that is not actually in downtown Toledo (more here are not downtown then is, many many more) has a parking lot that you can pull into and find a parking spot any time of the day, and it’s free to park in. And the walk from your car to the front door of all the businesses is no more then 30-seconds. Everyone here drives their own car to work or appointments because it’s easy to do. Why wait for a bus when you can drive right up to the door of the place you are going to? Even when going to downtown Toledo you can find street parking all day long. And the parking meters are free from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.

Edited by BobS (03/25/08 01:47 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128251 - 03/25/08 05:38 AM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: ]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
Actually other then the rise in the cost of food. the gas price raise hasn't really affected me as i don't drive.

but the only annoying thing is the closest bus to my place only runs once an hour and doesn't run on sindays and it stops fairly early in the evening frown

#128253 - 03/25/08 07:14 AM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: picard120]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Since my DUI in summer 2005, I have hardly driven at all. I live in a small enough city that I can comfortably walk almost anywhere I need to go. On the rare occassion that I need to cross city borders, there is a bus.

#128259 - 03/25/08 11:59 AM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Quite the dichotomy, but I think accurate. Most of the metro I've experienced in the US has woefully inadequate mass transit. It ain't cheap either. Contrasting, suburban and rural mass transit is way underutilized. In most non-metro places, nearly all of the passenger traffic seem to be among the poorer parts of the communities.

When they invent teleportation devices, it will make getting around a lot easier, after they work out the bugs, that is. Get it, bugs in the teleporter; the movie "The Fly"? I made a funny...

#128277 - 03/25/08 04:08 PM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: benjammin]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Get it, bugs in the teleporter; the movie "The Fly"? I made a funny...

I made a funny

Not really....

#128281 - 03/25/08 04:46 PM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: BobS]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yeah yeah yeah, everyone's a critic...

#128334 - 03/26/08 01:22 AM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: ]
sodak Offline
Addict

Gas prices haven't changed our driving habits at all. Gas is such a small part of our monthly outlay, it would have to rise quite a bit more before I'm going to change anything.

Seeing as how everything is supply and demand based, it amazes me how people and politicians complain about the prices while not letting the oil companies drill more and build more refineries... Go figure...

#128337 - 03/26/08 01:52 AM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: sodak]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: sodak
Gas prices haven't changed our driving habits at all. Gas is such a small part of our monthly outlay, it would have to rise quite a bit more before I'm going to change anything.

Seeing as how everything is supply and demand based, it amazes me how people and politicians complain about the prices while not letting the oil companies drill more and build more refineries... Go figure...

Really, there is plenty of oil to sustain the US. It's not like the oil crisis we've experience in the past, were the supply was very low, driving the price up. The main reason oil is so high, is our weak dollar. It makes commodities like oil, gold, steel, ect more expensive, because your dollar isn't stretching as far as it used to. If the dollar was higher, gas prices would be lower. Not $1 a gallon low, but much lower than they are currently.

#128338 - 03/26/08 02:14 AM Re: Has high gas price affect your daily life? [Re: Paul810]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

I won’t pretend to understand all the factors involved in what sets the gas prices. I just try to minimize it’s effect on me personally. So far it’s working. In fact I make more money on it.

Edited by BobS (03/26/08 02:15 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 538 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.