Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196399 - 02/23/10 12:44 AM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i ran this photo a few years ago,a one match fire made after a downpour.i found enough small dry sticks and some birch bark to get a fire going and added more until it was going and drying the wood above it.i did not split open any sticks to get to the dry wood inside.

if i had wanted a fire in the rain i would have found the most sheltered spot i could find,even if it was not where i wanted the fire in the end.any dry overhang anyplace would work and once going moved to where ever.if nothing close then a hasty shelter of leafy branches with something like a undershirt over it to keep out the worse of the rain.i have done a lot of camping and it takes a huge bonfire,well fed,to keep something going in the rain.without a tarp or shelter a fire will be over powered sooner or later.look what your wearing,that tee shirt will dry if you get a fire going,same with a jacket,even a hat over the first sticks will keep off enough rain to get something going.a square foot of foil from a kit would work great.this would be the time to really think.down on your belly and striking a match to kindling inside the hollow part of a log and then moving that fire to a bigger pile of sticks would be better than running down a Bic huddled over a wet firewood pile out in the open.so on-----

#196420 - 02/23/10 08:26 AM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
Can anyone please point me to a good video showing someone actually making fire in pouring rain? I always seem to stumble on the "make fire during nice weather" videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB6I9jO_lg4

Eddie Stone shows the Potassium Permanganate and glycerin fire lighting trick at the end of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU1VDzqo8T0

I prefer a small tube of Halfords bicycle Tyre Rubber Solution to start a fire (a reliable way to get butyl rubber tubing to catch from a single spark)

Thanks, I have seen these before, they are rather good but still, they do not show fire making in pouring rain.

Edited by BorkBorkBork (02/23/10 08:40 AM)

#196425 - 02/23/10 11:42 AM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: JAMAR]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Be very careful about how you store the potassium permanganate. It reacts with a lot of different chemicals & its environmentally hazardous. One or two of them are somewhat more vigorous than glycol.

http://www.reagent.co.uk/uploads/msds/POTASSIUM%20PERMANGANATE%205%20percent%20W%20V.pdf

#196429 - 02/23/10 12:43 PM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You bring up a very important point. My experience with any liquids stored over a relatively long period of time is that they will leak. The worst case was a bottle of betadine inside a FAK that leaked, fouling the zipper so that I had to cut the case open to access the contents.

Leakage of potassium permanganate could be exciting, to say the least...

#196721 - 02/27/10 03:15 PM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: hikermor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Potassium permanganate is generally stored as powder, or rather crystals, and not as a liquid. Like that it's relatively easy to store, but you need to be sure nothing else will leak into it.

Storing glycerine without leakage is harder. Therefore it needs to be kept well separate to the potassium permanganate. You don't want them both in the same pocket in containers that might be compromised if you somehow fall on them, for example. Not that matches are entirely safe, either, or a BIC, but these chemicals scare me more.

They aren't not a great way to start a fire anyway, especially if it is cold.

#196794 - 02/28/10 04:23 AM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: Brangdon]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Aren't not? My brain hurts... crazy

#197014 - 03/02/10 08:17 PM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: JAMAR]
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Sears sold small bottles of potassium permanganate for cleaning water softener resins. I can't recall where I picked up the glycerin. I think the drug store.

#197503 - 03/08/10 02:02 AM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Pete Offline
Veteran

RE: This reply to the thread ...

"I prefer a small tube of Halfords bicycle Tyre Rubber Solution to start a fire (a reliable way to get butyl rubber tubing to catch from a single spark)"

OK ... I'll bite.
Can you elaborate on the fire starting with the tire (tyre) rubber kit. That's a new one to me.

cheers,
other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/08/10 02:05 AM)

#197506 - 03/08/10 03:46 AM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: Pete]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I would venture to say that Am_Fear is referring to the glue that typically comes with bicyle tire patch kits. It is extremely flammable and many people will set a match to the glue then quickly blow out the flame before applying the patch. The reason for the flame was to get the glue hotter as it supposedly causes the patch to stick better and dry faster to the tube.

My experience after patching too many flat tubes (until I discovered Tuffy tire liners) is that I never resorted to the match and flame, rather I just applied the glue and waited a few minutes for it to dry enough and stuff the tube back into the tire and pump it up with air.

Now days some people carry small strips of used bicycle inner tube in their survival kits as it does burn very well on it's own. If you happen to be carrying patch glue, you have the perfect combo for a surefire, fire starter.

John Lubbock

#197519 - 03/08/10 11:44 AM Re: Potassium permanganate and glycerin [Re: Pete]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Pete
RE: This reply to the thread ...

"I prefer a small tube of Halfords bicycle Tyre Rubber Solution to start a fire (a reliable way to get butyl rubber tubing to catch from a single spark)"

OK ... I'll bite.
Can you elaborate on the fire starting with the tire (tyre) rubber kit. That's a new one to me.

cheers,
other Pete

These type of rubber solution are simply a very flammable rubber based glue. Most types of rubber, car tyres, cycle inner tubes, ranger bands (same thing) take a flame from a lighter (preferred) and burn hot and long. They have the great advantage that they are cheap, easy to obtain and storable.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 129 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.