Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#127929 - 03/20/08 10:51 PM Re: Our next disaster ? [Re: MoBOB]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
lol

Actually Market Place isn't too bad. They have stock brokers and tresurary officials and such -- real people in the biz -- frequently on the show.

Still, bland news attracts no listeners ...

#127948 - 03/21/08 12:56 AM Re: Our next disaster ? [Re: MoBOB]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Whatwas done in the '70s when the "mini Ice Age" was encroaching on the planet (quick, stockpile socks, jackets and blankets!)? We were all doomed at that point too. As a whole I don't buy into the whole climate change thing (quick, stockpile socks, jackets and blankets!). I am in the camp of the "cyclic nature of the Universe" bunch. Refer to the mini Ice Age of the '70s. I would look at the disasters that typically happen where you are and overprepare for them. Socks, jackets and the like. Make, check, and recheck your plans and preparations. Afterwhich, sit back with a few friends, slide your toques back a bit, and sip a Hamm's (or whatever).

I agree with you on the climate change thing and I do remember the "new ice age crisis". Most of the media hype isn't really driven by the data. The temperature may be warming, but I'd place the likely cause to be solar fluctuations and long-term cyclical events rather than human factors. The increases in CO2 probably will be offset by enhanced plant growth, perhaps helping future agriculture. Besides, the climate is never static, but always changing and fluctuating (in Texas, it changes by the minute).

Catastrophic, sudden climate changes are unlikely. The usual tornadoes, blizzards, ice storms, heat waves, floods thunderstorms, hurricanes that make up weather will always be with us.

Edited by BrianTexas (03/21/08 12:59 AM)

#128011 - 03/21/08 04:33 PM Re: Our next disaster ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
BMT, I don't think you're paranoid to take notice of trends in the weather.

We're certainly noticing some trends on the Canadian Prairies. It seems like we're getting more of everything -- longer dry periods and drought cycles, wetter and longer wet periods, more high wind/large hail/tornado type storms, and so on.

They're mostly the same weather events ... just supersized in strength and duration. For that reason they can wreak havoc on ecosystems and wildlife, and on agriculture and people. That is certainly reason for thoughtful people to take notice.

A few things I'm working on:
- increasing my water catchment, to keep the garden going during hot, dry spells
- contemplating some sort of ground-loop piping for summer air cooling in the house
- thinking about reinforcing and stocking a room in the basement as a tornado shelter
- going over the house insurance policy carefully, to make sure the loopholes are plugged, even if it costs more
- and, I'm trying to be a lot more efficient with my energy use (seems a responsible course of action across the board).

Beyond that? Crack a beer and keep an eye on the sky.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.