The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#127728 - 03/19/08 12:00 AM Re: Satellite Radio instead of NOAA? [Re: Eugene]
SJC Offline
Stranger

Loc: Detroit
I picked up the new Cobra 425 Radio 3 weeks ago. It is a VHF / GMRS / NOAA radio. The first of its kind. It is an awesome radio. Light, long antenna, dual battery source (rechargabel or 6AA). It even has a rewind feature that will play back the last 20 seconds of sound that came out of the radio in case you only heard the last few seconds of a call. VHF (ch 16) is really the only emergency channel monitored by most rescue sources. Plus it only costs about $150.00 (124.00 on ebay)

steve

#127731 - 03/19/08 01:30 AM Re: Satellite Radio instead of NOAA? [Re: SJC]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've seen this radio and truly I do like it. Unfortunately in Canada it's neutered as 5 Watt radios aren't allowed to be in the hands of the public.

If I ordered it from a place like Cabela's, customs likely wouldn't allow it across the border without some kind of fancy permit.

#127764 - 03/19/08 03:16 PM Re: Satellite Radio instead of NOAA? [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Do you need a license for the VHF channel like GMRS?

#127766 - 03/19/08 03:25 PM Re: Satellite Radio instead of NOAA? [Re: Eugene]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Do you need a license for the VHF channel like GMRS?

The below was copied from http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/radio.htm

Do I need a radio license? The Telecommunications Act of 1996 permits recreational boaters to have and use a VHF marine radio, EPIRB, and marine radar without having an FCC ship station license. Boaters traveling on international voyages, having an HF single sideband radiotelephone or marine satellite terminal, or required to carry a marine radio under any other regulation must still carry an FCC ship station license.

Those not exempted by the Telecommunications Act of 1996 must still have an FCC ship station license. A ship station license application is made on FCC Form 506, available from local FCC Field Offices, by writing to the FCC, P.O. Box 1050, Gettysburg PA 17326, or by calling the FCC Forms Distribution Center at (202)418-3676 or the toll-free number (800) 418-FORM. Forms can also be obtained from most marine electronics dealers.

Radios can be used immediately upon license application. The license is not transferable if a boat is sold or if the installed radio equipment is moved from one boat to another.

Effective 18 September 1995, the FCC fee for renewing or applying for a new ship station license is $75. Licenses will be valid for ten years.

If you wish to purchase a portable radio for use on more than one boat, only one license is necessary. When completing an FCC Application for Ship Station License (form 506), check "Portable" in block 10, "Type of License".

Do I need a permit to operate a radio? The FCC Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is required for boaters having an HF radiotelephone, for boaters having a VHF transceiver and traveling in foreign waters, or where fitting of a marine radio is required by law (e.g. on boats 20m long or larger). There is a fee for this lifetime permit, but no tests are required in applying for this license. An application is made on FCC Form 753, available from local FCC Field Offices or by writing to the FCC, P.O. Box 1050, Gettysburg PA 17326.

#127780 - 03/19/08 05:13 PM Re: Satellite Radio instead of NOAA? [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

In Canada it doesn't work the same as in the US. In the US you can use high power but you need an FCC license. In Canada you can't use anything high powered unless you have a permit or are a professional which requires it (coast guard, police, etc). You can't buy 5 Watt GMRS radios in Canada at all because they're for recreational use only.

My SAR group uses high power VHF hand helds and a VERY high powered base station in a trailer with a 40 foot antenna and something like a 40 mile range...but we have special permission from the RCMP to do so (and use some of their frequencies).

Edited by Hacksaw (03/19/08 05:31 PM)
Edit Reason: I can't spell good.

#127879 - 03/20/08 02:53 PM Re: Satellite Radio instead of NOAA? [Re: ]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
Have you considered a decent portable shortwave receiver?

I recently purchased a Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

It's small, light weight but sturdy, and seems to have great range. 4 AA batteries should get you about 40 hours of life.

The radio has great reception of the area AM/FM Stations, includes NOAA weather channels, and access to the full spectrum of short wave channels.

I think it will be great to take camping as you will be able to find local radio, NOAA, and many of the national (or international) stations that broadcast on shortwave. You can preset them into the radio for easy access.

In a big picture catastrophe from massive earthquake up to and including a terrorist action, the shortwave radio might be the only access to outside media reports.

From what I've seen recently, most newer AM/FM radios are not strong on components - they rely on a stong signal from the station, where a decent portable shortwave receiver has a much stronger ability to pick up distant or weaker signals.

This model I purchased cost about $150.00, and so long as I keep it out of the hands of my 2 year old son, it should last a long time. Even when commercial radio goes digital, there will still be a wide range of communication on the shortwave spectrum worth listening to.

#127882 - 03/20/08 03:12 PM Re: Satellite Radio instead of NOAA? [Re: NorCalDennis]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've tried SW and I much prefer the satellite radio...in my opinion, the results are the same only the satellite is much less finicky...both have similar pros and cons. The only advantage is access to the NOAA channels but the only SW radios I've seen which access those frequencies don't do the alert tone alarm thing or the digital local programming.

#127945 - 03/21/08 12:46 AM Re: Satellite Radio instead of NOAA? [Re: NorCalDennis]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: NorCalDennis
Have you considered a decent portable shortwave receiver?

I recently purchased a Sony ICF-SW7600GR.

It's small, light weight but sturdy, and seems to have great range. 4 AA batteries should get you about 40 hours of life.

The radio has great reception of the area AM/FM Stations, includes NOAA weather channels, and access to the full spectrum of short wave channels.

I also own a Sony ICF-SW7600GR and haven't found any NOAA weather channels (162.xx MHz). What frequencies do you dial in to hear NOAA?

BTW - I love the Sony's AM/FM reception and the SW bands (with SYNC Selection;USB and LSB reception) come in better than any other portable I've owned (although my new Eton E1XM is giving it a run for it's money and my old Sangean 183A still works).

FWIW - I also like Satellite Radio, although I decided to go with XM (the E1 was XM ready). My wife took a lot of convincing, particularly when she considered the cost of the monthly service. The number and variety of stations is beginning to interest her. I also went with XM because I'm a baseball fanatic and Sirius had the NFL package, not the MLB package.

Edited by BrianTexas (03/21/08 12:48 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.