Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi AyersTG

Your niece may need some time acclimatising to the altitude, by spending a few days at say 4000, 6000, 8000 feet each and watching out for mountain altitude sickness (AMS)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

Going straight to 9000 feet can sometimes present problems especially if your neice has never been in high mountains areas.

Ingnoring the warnig signs for AMS can sometimes be fatal.

It is true that people can get AMS (Altitude Sickness) at 9000', but it would be very rare for it to be fatal at 9000'. Still, stairs will be a pain in the butt for a while.

If you (well, your neice in this case) have the time, aclimating is the way to go, although one could do it in a couple of days. When I climbed Mt. Whitney (14,501') a few years ago, I aclimated over two days without ill affect although three would have been better. When I climbed Taylor Pk (13,000' and some change) last summer, I aclimated over one day only. That was a bit rough since I left from sea level the day before, but I did all right. Note that everyone is different with altitude. Some get it at 10,000', some at 13,000', some at 17,000', etc. It depends on the person and the time allowed for acclimitization. Under 10,000', most people can adapt fairly quickly, although it'll be multiple weeks before they'll feel comfortable playing basketball or something.

A drop of altitude of as little as 1,000' is often enough to ameliorate atltitude sickness.