The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126775 - 03/08/08 09:51 PM What's missing- BOB
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
With the rash of posts lately, I was motivated to clean out my BOB. I've moved it from a large ALICE pac to this, from CTD:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE124-41648-1964.html

It's a tight squeeze, but so far it's ridden more comfortably than the ALICE.

Wondering if I'm missing anything. For the sake of bandwith, I'll just do a list. Also, there's a few things (like MREs, crowbar, candles) that are house/bug-in supplies not listed. This is to be used as a 72-hr BOB. If I'm walking, I figure I'll travel about 30 miles, maximum, with it on. If I need to go farther, it'll be tossed in my car, and I'll walk when I run out of gas!

Backpack,
Outer pocket: 2 wool blankets (these take up a LOT of space)
2 backpacker Pantry dinners
2 Gatorade packets
3 Kool-Aid packets
1 roll of TP
Stack of coffee filters
Military poncho
4 40-gal plastic trash bags
100 ft of 550 cord
1 packet of moist towelettes
12 trioxane tabs
1 package of Esbit fuel tabs (12)
Pocket size SAS handbook

Large panel pocket:
Clothes packet: stocking cap, 2 pr socks, 1pr underwear, gloves
3 spoons/forks
4 zipties
1 SOG multiplier
1 Paraframe Gerber knife
1 small sharpening stone (from CountyComm)
1 pack: travel size mouthwash, lotion, shampo with 5 dental picks
2 1-gal ziploc bags
1 250ml Nalgene, with photocopy of ID's, 20 Micru-pur tabs

Outer panel packet
1 pr leather gloves
small hatchet

Bottom pocket
1 pack moist towlettes
1 roll TP (I might drop this 2nd roll)
5 books of paper matches
2 tinder-quick
1 firesteel
1 altoid of drier lint
5 9-hour candles
3 Cyalume light sticks
1 River rock LED lantern (AA batteries)_
10 AA batteries
Esbit Stove

Side pockets:
1 GI canteen in each

I want to add a GI cup to one of the canteens, but it wasn't in stock at the Army-navy store.

Thanks for suggestions!

Edit: After 2 replies, I forgot to say:
I did add a FAK, forgot to mention it. Realized I need a better form of shelter! (had a tarp, took it out, haven't replaced it). Also, maybe add a trowel or shovel? And a small box of .22 in case I take the 10/22 with me.

Edited by MDinana (03/08/08 11:27 PM)

#126776 - 03/08/08 10:13 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: MDinana]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
How about some more tinder, a form of water-purification, a better stove, duct-tape, FAK, metal water-cup?

#126780 - 03/08/08 11:12 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: MDinana]
LED Offline
Veteran

Small notepad w/pen, pencil?

#126811 - 03/09/08 01:30 AM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: LED]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Possibly missing; Compass, area maps, GPS, cell phone
small earbud radio (for information), headlamp.

#126819 - 03/09/08 02:21 AM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What is the total weight? There are quite a few things where equally effective, but lighter, items are available. What are the contemplated weather and terrain conditions for which you are preparing?

I have found cyalumes useless after even moderate long term storage. What will work as USCG approved life vest markers. I would get a headlamp and carry a smaller number of lithium batteries - Lighter, more efficient, and will work in colder weather. I would prefer an appropriate sleeping bag to two wool blankets - much more efficient. If you are carrying dehydrated backpacker meals and water, you might as well save money and carry canned goods (after opening, these can be cooking containers). I really prefer energy dense foods which do not need cooking - well packaged sausages and cheeses, Clif bars, trail mix and nuts. If I am going for lightweight, I would go for an alcohol stove, but folks endlessly argue the merits of Esbit, trioxane, and alcohol.

I rarely go out the door without at least a zip-front synthetic jacket and a light windbreaker-this varies with the season and the terrain. For many western localities, a little bit of rope is an absolute requirement.

Unless you are looking at severe conditions, your poncho will make a perfectly fine shelter. My preference is to find a good rock shelter, but that depends upon the terrain in which you are traveling.

I wouldn't bother with either a trowel or shovel - you can always find a field expedient - usually a handy rock or stick, supplemented, if necessary, with the canteen cup.

These suggestions are just minor tweaking - mostly reflective of personal preference. You will be in the game just fine with what you have listed.

#126823 - 03/09/08 03:03 AM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: hikermor]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
+1 on that backpack. Thats what my BOB lives in.
BOB Pics

#126841 - 03/09/08 02:33 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
What is the total weight? There are quite a few things where equally effective, but lighter, items are available. What are the contemplated weather and terrain conditions for which you are preparing?

I have found cyalumes useless after even moderate long term storage. What will work as USCG approved life vest markers. I would get a headlamp and carry a smaller number of lithium batteries - Lighter, more efficient, and will work in colder weather. I would prefer an appropriate sleeping bag to two wool blankets - much more efficient. If you are carrying dehydrated backpacker meals and water, you might as well save money and carry canned goods (after opening, these can be cooking containers). I really prefer energy dense foods which do not need cooking - well packaged sausages and cheeses, Clif bars, trail mix and nuts. If I am going for lightweight, I would go for an alcohol stove, but folks endlessly argue the merits of Esbit, trioxane, and alcohol.

I rarely go out the door without at least a zip-front synthetic jacket and a light windbreaker-this varies with the season and the terrain. For many western localities, a little bit of rope is an absolute requirement.

Unless you are looking at severe conditions, your poncho will make a perfectly fine shelter. My preference is to find a good rock shelter, but that depends upon the terrain in which you are traveling.

I wouldn't bother with either a trowel or shovel - you can always find a field expedient - usually a handy rock or stick, supplemented, if necessary, with the canteen cup.

These suggestions are just minor tweaking - mostly reflective of personal preference. You will be in the game just fine with what you have listed.

No idea on the weight; no scale at home! Roughly 30 lbs I'd say, without the water (add 4lbs for that). Intended terrain, at present, is the Detroit area (essentially a rolling metropolis for many dozens of miles). If you've never been here, it eventually goes into forest, with lots of towns/houses along the way. Weather: summer, potentially humid, maybe 80-90s. winter, snowy, this year we've seen down to about 0 F. The kit at present is in it's "winter" configuration.

I agree with you on the sleeping bag; in fact I've got the Sub-kilo by REI (down, about 2lbs), and a synthetic warm weather bag, both sitting in a pile next to this bag. The wool blankets are there mainly in case I have to GO. I'd rather not scrunch up my 2 bags for potentially months at a time. If I have 10 minutes before I need to go, there's a VERY good chance my sleeping bag and 1-man tent would be packed in exchange.

As for the headlamp, good idea. Again, I have one in my camping gear. But it probably would be good to get a small one just to toss in there; I think Walmart has $10 little ion ones. The cyalumes are getting old, so maybe I'll dump them.

During the winter, I added a fleece jacket to the pack. However, it's too tight in this bag to carry the wool blankets AND fleece. So I guess I'm just going to either A) strap it to the outside, or B) grab an extra jacket as I rush out of the house... if I remember!

#126842 - 03/09/08 02:39 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: teacher]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: teacher
Possibly missing; Compass, area maps, GPS, cell phone
small earbud radio (for information), headlamp.

You're right; no compass or maps. I've never used a GPS. I do have a cell phone, with a Bluetooth headset. Like my above post, you're right about the headlamp.

#126858 - 03/09/08 06:40 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: MDinana]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

MDinana,

One pair leather gloves, break them in before storing in pack.

Water purification tabs (Micropur MP1, or Potable Aqua ), or one of the electronic or pump style filters/purifiers. (I figure the tablets will fit better in an already tight pack.)

It lookd like you have plenty of,
12 trioxane tabs
1 package of Esbit fuel tabs (12)
but I do not see any type of metal container in the kit.

The GI canteen cup will work great, or something like the MSR Stowaway pots, or http://store.sundogoutfitter.com/Items/z...t%2022oz%2010cm may work if you can pack some stuff inside the pot, as they do not add that much more space. (you may already have this type of thing in the camping gear you mentioned but in a rush to Bug out/ Evacuate it may be better to already have this type of gear stored in the pack.

For the most part your kit sounds like it is well oriented for the 72 hr thing. If space in the pack is an issue there are a ton of bags that you can attach to the outside of your pack.

Joe

#126867 - 03/09/08 09:13 PM Re: What's missing- BOB [Re: Joseph13]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I think your list is great and the effort to be prepared even better. I have only a couple suggested tweaks for your consideration focusing on the idea that you cannot know if the crises will be over in 72 hours and your survival stash may not be available or reachable in 72 hours..

I think it is the Voyager cell phone from Verizon, is a waterproof item with built in GPS and other outdoor-oriented features.

Some change for public phones, vending machines, toilets, etc.

Triplicate list of phone numbers that matter to you.

One of the Grundig self-powered radios that crank generates power enough to recharge itself, cell phones, and small batteries. It could be a hectic 72 hours (that turns into many more hours) with many communication or attempted communication hours that could drain even your spare batteries. An obvious study of weight and space trade-offs is necessary - sorry I have not yet done it.

Along the same lines, self-powered, never-need-batteries flashlight.

Concealed (?drain bamage re what you call it!) under clothes-, belt- , and shoe wallets / pouches – not exclusively for cash.

Clothing not cotton.

Pre-bugout pitstop: car and house kit.

If it is a bugout situation, you or others with whom you choose to travel may be injured before you get to your BOB. Be sure your car and house kit FAK is beefy enough to stabilize sprains or fractures, do significant cut and gash repair, suppress pain, etc. to ready you for bugout. Lots of water in the kit to fully hydrate you, with extra to carry at least for a while as you bugout. Walking / defense staff in kit as optional carry. Lots of food to eat on the go – grab, munch, and discard during the start of your bugout without having to stop and get into your BOB. Complete change of clothes, boots, hat, etc. A second bugout bag / backpack of consumables or whatever for an unexpected and less-well prepared companion to carry - or for you to get back to and carry out as needed.

Edited by dweste (03/09/08 09:36 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.