#127209 - 03/13/08 02:27 PM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: KG2V]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
Does forge coal work well for heating?

It should, in a properly designed stove - thing is, forge coal is usually very high quality (metalergic coal) - to allow the blacksmith to weld steel without imputities - typically expensive

I just happen to have 2 barrels of it sitting around. Brother in law moved away 10 years ago and his wife wouldn't let him bring it or his 2 forges.
It's just nice to know that it's there if I was desperate enough to start burning it. Now I just need to come up with a way TO burn it.

#127400 - 03/15/08 11:33 AM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
You must have a high grade of coal to light it so easily. Ours takes a lot of heat before it really gets going, and won't produce much heat unless there's a good draft all around.
The firelighter burns for 5 or 10 minutes - it's a commercial product designed for the job so it ought to make it easier. It comes as a biggish brick which you are supposed to break into small tabs. I actually break it into double-tabs. A single tab isn't enough to get the fire going, and two work best if they are close together. I can't really remember how much success I had with the paper and kindling approach; it was a long time ago that I stopped using it.

The firelighters add a significant cost to each evening's fire, and I stockpile them much as I do the coal. The grate and chimney means there is a good draft.

Quote:
Do your neighbours object to coal burning, or is it commonly used in your area?
It's not common. I'm not very social, so I don't really know what they think.

#127702 - 03/18/08 07:59 PM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: Brangdon]
OIMO Offline
Opinion Is My Own
Journeyman

Loc: UK
"Do your neighbours object to coal burning, or is it commonly used in your area?"

No, they burn coal too! However I used to live in a major city in the UK that was classed as a Smokeless Zone this meant no open fires unless you were burning a special (read expensive) low smoke coal-like fuel. These zones came about from the era when lots of people burnt coal in densely populated areas and smog became an issue.

However even regular coal will burn relatively clean once the fire is established, it is only when you feed the fire with fresh coal that the smoke levels rise again temporarily.

#128019 - 03/21/08 05:03 PM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: OIMO]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Interesting! I seem to recall that coal burning was banned in Victorian London when Parliament was in session, because the MPs didn't want to breathe in all that smog.

I have one of my small coal stoves mostly together and installed in a cabin. I think I'll try to fire it up this weekend. Might even try to post some pics.

#128343 - 03/26/08 02:40 AM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Farmer Offline

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
Just a side note. Coal is graded by checking it for sulphur content, how much ash it produces and BTU output.

Low-sulphur, low-ash high BTU coal is more expensive since it burns hotter, burns more completely and puts out less raw material for the formation of acid rain.

If you go to buy some coal, be sure to ask for the content ratings.

#128400 - 03/26/08 03:30 PM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: Farmer]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
what about storing bags of charcoal for an emergency?

#128445 - 03/26/08 08:37 PM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: EHCRain10]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

You mean charcoal briquettes? The BBQ type?

Well, if you kept them dry, they would keep just about indefinitely. And they would provide a slow, even heat when burned in a wood stove. You could also cook with them of course.

In mild climates, charcoal in a fireplace would break the chill and be cheery to boot. But it would take quite a large volume to keep a house warm in a three-day blizzard.

Unless you were able to buy charcoal in bulk, I think the cost would be a killer.

#128456 - 03/26/08 09:37 PM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: dougwalkabout]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
understandable with the cost, was just thinking that it could be a viable option

#128461 - 03/26/08 10:50 PM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: EHCRain10]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I think you're right: it is a viable option. It's hardwood, after all, and puts out a lot of heat. The only question, from a planning perspective, is whether it gives the most bang for the buck. But in an emergency I'd be very glad to have it. And of course it's easier to justify because it's dual purpose (always be prepared for Steak).

Anybody know an inexpensive, bulk source for charcoal?

#128465 - 03/27/08 12:06 AM Re: Storing Coal for Emergency Heating? [Re: dougwalkabout]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
You mean charcoal briquettes? The BBQ type?
Well, if you kept them dry, they would keep just about indefinitely.

Dougwalkabout is right about keeping the charcoal dry. The big danger is that if it gets damp/wet, it has been known to spontaneously combust. Don't think that is a good thing. Aside from the cost, an unintended fire could be a killer too.

Coal is safer.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 336 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.