Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#126708 - 03/08/08 04:48 AM Re: Iceman on Everest: 'It Was Easy' [Re: LED]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I think that freezing isn't the main issue. I think hypothermia is. Hypothermia occurs when your core temperature falls below a certain, very small, threshold. Maybe it starts at 95F? I know it's only a few degrees below the normal body temperature of 98.7F. I could look it up if anyone is interested. 95F is WAY above freezing.

Yeah, frostbite would be an issue, and it's amazing that he's not susceptible to it. I think LED's idea may have something to do with his resitance to frostbite -- the human body DOES, at least accoring to Cody Lundin's book, cycle blood to go through cool/warm phases to preserve tissue while conserving heat.

But hypothermia is the real issue. How come he's not dead? Even if he can cycle blood to prevent frostbite, he's still losing heat something awful. His core temperature should drop -- rapidly -- in an ice bath. He's got to be generating an amazing amount of body heat in order for his core temperature to not fall below the hypothermia threshold (I think it's 95F). One starts very quickly toward death as the body's core temperature falls below the hypothermia threshold. All those climbers on Everest that die of "exposure?" That's hypothermia they're talking about. Seriously, why isn't he dead?

#126717 - 03/08/08 06:18 AM Re: Iceman on Everest: 'It Was Easy' [Re: Hikin_Jim]
LED Offline
Veteran

The 20/20 episode mentioned the Tummo meditation and that he may be consciously raising his body temperature. Like giving himself a fever of sorts? One part of the show they showed footage of a test with a british special forces guy immersed in freezing water (not as cold as was used for Wim Hof's test) and he could barely stand it, literally screaming underwater. Then comes the Wim guy talking calmly, no teeth chatter, nothing. Unreal.

#126933 - 03/10/08 06:22 PM Re: Iceman on Everest: 'It Was Easy' [Re: LED]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Pretty wild.

#126937 - 03/10/08 06:46 PM Re: Iceman on Everest: 'It Was Easy' [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Some thoughts...
yeah, "antifreeze". Some life forms have a higher glycerol content in their cellular fluids to lower the freezing point.

Many mammals withstand artic temps, like whales. Of course, their mass is much larger. But, perhaps he has an inordinant amount of brown fat, which is used in thermoregulation. Supposedly humans don't have much, especially adults. But, it's got a high metabolic rate, and might be producing more heat?

Lots of cold weather animals also have counter-current circulatory systems: warm blood going to limbs passes cold blood coming back. Helps to retain core temp. It's possible he's just set up wierd...

Either way, I really hope this guy says his body goes to science upon his death. But by then, I'll probably have forgotten, it won't be published, and the world will stay ignorant of the root of his ability.

#126961 - 03/10/08 09:37 PM Re: Iceman on Everest: 'It Was Easy' [Re: MDinana]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
As far as Everest goes I think the problem is lack of oxygen, not cold.

The temperature conditions simply aren't so bad you can't come up with gear to do with it: the explorations of the Antarctic had to deal with such things a century ago. A badly-equipped climber could certainly be at risk from the temperature but the real problem is oxygen.

"Raising his body temperature" probably means shivering: I'm not sure how much heat the body can generate on demand other than by muscle activity.

#126984 - 03/11/08 04:07 AM Re: Iceman on Everest: 'It Was Easy' [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

He doesn't shiver; that's the point

The brown fat sounds intersting. I suppose doing a autopsy would be a bit much to ask pre mortem.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 97 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.