The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#113701 - 11/26/07 10:04 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: LED]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ever try lighting book matches one handed? Trust me, it's easy.

As for breaking wooden matches, I gotta agree with Doug. I've worn the tips off matches that had aged and wouldn't light, but I've never broken a stick. Then again, I lit my first strike anywhere match and lit a fire with it about 50 years ago. . . it's all in the wrist wink

#113703 - 11/26/07 10:12 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: Doug_Ritter]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good point Doug,

As part of the hands-on teaching I do with youth groups I get them each to strike a match and flick a lighter. These kids are usually 12 to 14 years old and many have never done it before. A few are very nervous to go through with it and have to be encouraged/reassured that doing so is OK; I think because they have been insulated from dealing with fire all their lives (e.g. don't play with matches). I then teach some of the more difficult ways to creat a spark/ember and the kids have the choice of what method they want to use to light their own campfire. Most pick the Bic lighter but some of the adventurous ones try a ferro rod or magnifying glass. We also have a detailed discussion on fire safety and responsibility.

I have not had a child yet that did not get a real feeling of accomplishment after toasting a marshmellow over their own fire.

Mike

#114130 - 11/29/07 08:51 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: Stu]
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
"use your BIC lighter to light the match"

I know you intended that as a joke, but this fall on a camping trip I started to light a Coleman lantern with strike anywhere kitchen matches (the classic tool for that purpose). When I unscrewed my so called "waterproof" match case my matches were damp and would not strike. So what did I do? You got it! Light the match with my Bic and then used it to light the lantern.

#114139 - 11/29/07 09:36 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: Ron]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've used a Bic to light a match and then used the match as a sort of quick tinder to get some natural tinder hot and lit from underneath were it's awkward to hold the Bic.

#114248 - 11/30/07 03:08 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Has anyone used the "strike a fire" product from Diamond matches? Its a small piece of tinder log with a match head on one end, tinder and match in one. Might good to carry one or two for emergencies, if they work.

#124271 - 02/18/08 08:40 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
Any suggestions on what to do with 500 - 600 old brittle matches?

Use the old matches to make fire starters. In doing this fire starters require no fire source like matches or a lighter to get a fire going as they have their own built in fire source. I make these several inches long and just cut off what I need.

Here is a picture showing them. It’s at the bottom below the stove.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#124288 - 02/18/08 10:42 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: SwampDonkey]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Good point Doug,

As part of the hands-on teaching I do with youth groups I get them each to strike a match and flick a lighter. These kids are usually 12 to 14 years old and many have never done it before. A few are very nervous to go through with it and have to be encouraged/reassured that doing so is OK; I think because they have been insulated from dealing with fire all their lives (e.g. don't play with matches). I then teach some of the more difficult ways to creat a spark/ember and the kids have the choice of what method they want to use to light their own campfire. Most pick the Bic lighter but some of the adventurous ones try a ferro rod or magnifying glass. We also have a detailed discussion on fire safety and responsibility.

I have not had a child yet that did not get a real feeling of accomplishment after toasting a marshmellow over their own fire.

Mike

O.k. I am 13 and i can light a match no problem. But then again I have a B.O.B that I made myself and can make a fire with one stike of a firesteel. I hold it between my thumb and middle finger and put my index finger on the head. Seem to work well for me as I have never broken a match. the sad thing today is that of you have any firestarting knowledge you are considered a pyro and kinda crazy. Just presenting another view point.

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#124294 - 02/18/08 11:44 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: climberslacker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

ATTABOY Climberslacker,

In every group I teach I always have a few kids that have no problem lighting matches or a fire and are toasting marshmellows before you know it. You can quickly tell which kids have had exposure to outdoor activities and who have not. But with hands-on direction within a short time even the inexperienced ones get quite good at lighting fires.

I sometimes worry or have people comment that teaching kids to light a fire is only encouraging them to "play with fire". I do not know what the correct answer is here. My friends and I were all involved in Scouting when I was young and were required to carry matches (also knives) and light fires; we never played with it or burnt our houses down. Fire was just like a tool and you were still responsible for your actions when you used it.

Good to hear that you are getting lots of outdoor practice Climbslacker, it does not make you "crazy", just an experienced member of this Forum.

Mike

#124373 - 02/19/08 03:29 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: SwampDonkey]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Not really within the original topic, but I have seen a way of stiking a match that I have mastered, but might be of use.

A friend of mine went when in high school to Russia and studied. While there, he learned to use the paper matchbook as a shield for the match. The Russian matches went out quickly in wind, so the nicotine crazed Russians would take the match book and bend it so that it made a circle, with the striker inside. Then, the match would be put inside the circle, struck and kept inside the circle, so it would not blow out. My buddy learned how to do this and still did it, last time I saw him light a match.

I have not tried enough times to feel like I have it down, and now normally am using wooden matches from some type of box.

FWIW, Dad showed me how to light a match at a young age.

Edited by Dan_McI (02/19/08 03:29 PM)

#124376 - 02/19/08 03:57 PM Re: Check those matches [Re: Dan_McI]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Dan, that is a useful tip on how to shield the flame.

I had a bad experience doing something similar. When I was a kid, I had seen people tear off a paper match, place it on the striker strip, compress the folded match book cover over the match, then pull the match, which came out ignited; Cool.

So I tried it, the problem was that I must have been gripping the match through the cover too tightly, because the ignited matchhead seperated from the stick, burned through the cover and blistered my thumb!

I do not use that method any more.

Mike

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 532 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.