The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#125667 - 02/28/08 11:19 PM Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I had ordered some more Celox from http://www.bydezignproducts.com/
and they had a Blizzard Survival Blanket on the site so I ordered one to see if it was any good. It had been approved by the military and had a NSN 6532-01-524-6932 with it. When I got it, it came in a vacuum sealed bag and was the size of a VCR tape.This was all good indeed, a little big but doable. I then wanted to inspect it to see if it was worth all the hype. I very carefully opened the vacuum sealed bag and gently unfolded it. I was extremely disappointed with it, it's extremely fragile, very noisy and rips extremely easy. It had 3 ripped holes when I opened it and I oppened it up very gently. I understand they go with thinner materials for space and weight but they should be selling these for a dollar and one time use. It didn't keep me even a little bit warm outside in 40 degree weather (for testing). It is very loud and rips internally extremely easy and for the size and weight and functionality I prefer a military poncho any day. This piece of garbage is now in my vehicle truck as something. I guess I can use it as a big signal since it's silver and as a blanket if I have nothing else. All in all I say save your money and get a military poncho or fleece or something but not this piece of garbage.

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/product.php/100/blizzard_survival_bag

#125675 - 02/28/08 11:28 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Quote:
It had been approved by the military

ha. there was the first problem.

#125677 - 02/28/08 11:33 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Thanks Falcon.

Always good to hear some real persons experience with a product. When I checked that out it seemed just as chincy as the regular space blankets.

Blitz

#125681 - 02/28/08 11:43 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Blitz]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

No problem, this was a try at to see if they have improved the space blanket ideas and they spent more money on Hype than product. Definitely a no go on this one. Save your $30, a trash bag with grass shoved in it would be 1000% better than this thing.

#125691 - 02/29/08 12:46 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I can’t remember who made it as I’ve had it for 15 or 20-years and the package is long gone. But I purchased a heavier space blanket from a gun shop for $20.00, one side is red the other side silver. It has a rolled and sewed edge with grommets all around the edges. It has rip-stop fibers built into it. It folds up to the size of about 3 VCR tapes. I know it’s kinda big, but it’s been with me for a long time and is still in good shape. For the most part I hate buying throw away items like those $1.00 space blankets.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#125722 - 02/29/08 03:23 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've almost ordered one of these several times. Thanks for the dose of truth Falcon.

#125737 - 02/29/08 04:23 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: BobS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: BobS
But I purchased a heavier space blanket from a gun shop for $20.00, one side is red the other side silver.

That sounds like a regular "Space Blanket" not the "Emergency Space Blanket". I have one too. For short simple dayhikes I carry a HeatSheets emergency blanket, but for longer or more treacherous hikes I carry a regular Space Blanket as my emergency shelter option.

I folded it lengthwise and duct-taped two of the edges (full lengthwise) to make it into an inexpensive bivy. I can always peel the tape off and make it a full sized blanket again if need be - and I have the duct tape available for other uses as a bonus. I folded it as small as I could and then wrapped it with paracord (75 feet or so) to keep it compacted tightly - this also provides a neat way to store lots of cord.

#125745 - 02/29/08 08:28 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: haertig]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
It was horrifying to see in 'Survivorman' that the survival kit in his inflatable dinghy was an unsealed plastic bag with a flare that started getting hot immediately and items missing. Trouble is unless you put it together yourself how do you know a sealed (or sealed in your dinghy, BOB kit is ok?
Maybe I answered my own question with 'unless you put it together yourself'. If you can repack a dinghy.
The Sock

#125775 - 02/29/08 02:13 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: BobS]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I've got two of these but I have always called the casualty blankets. One of them is about 10 years old and still in fairly good condition considering some of the abuse it's had. the only difference is mine are OD green on the back.

#125779 - 02/29/08 02:26 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: TheSock]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: TheSock
It was horrifying to see in 'Survivorman' that the survival kit in his inflatable dinghy was an unsealed plastic bag with a flare that started getting hot immediately and items missing. Trouble is unless you put it together yourself how do you know a sealed (or sealed in your dinghy, BOB kit is ok?
Maybe I answered my own question with 'unless you put it together yourself'. If you can repack a dinghy.
The Sock

I don't think you can repack one of the inflatable rafts on your own. It's my understanding that repacks are normally carried out by certified companies. I know the USCG certfies companies to do repacks. The quality of the company that's going to do it is key.

#125795 - 02/29/08 05:26 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Dan_McI]
Westwindmike Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
I unpacked a space blanket that had been in my flight bag for several years. When I unfolded it, all the silver coating came off and left me with a clear sheet. Not very good.

#125802 - 02/29/08 06:14 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi falcon5000,

The problem is that nothing else weighing in at around 500 grams is really going to keep your warm either at 40F or 4C, except for perhaps an ultralighweight Down Bag with the very highest specifications.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_58&products_id=31

Even then it would require the use of a bivi bag designed with breathable materials, which is again another 300-400 grams, when used in conjuction with the sleeping bag in wet conditions and windy conditions. e.g Rab Survival Zone Bivi or Alpkit Hunka bivi

http://www.alpkit.com/hunka/

The main problem with the 'Blizzard Bag or Blanket' is the word 'Blizzard'. It claims a Tog rating of 8. This is a comfort temperature equivalent to a 1-2 season sleeping bag i.e. late spring/summer/early autumn. Certainly not a winter 'Blizzard' application product. These products are certainly an improvement on the conventional space or mylar blanket but there needs to be a reality check on its claimed usefulness in winter conditions.

From the Blizzard Survival Website;

Quote:
A report by the British Royal Marines has proved that Blizzard Survival Bags are up four times more effective in cold weather warfare conditions than current issue UK army survival bags.

The three day trials were conducted in Arctic Norway, at temperatures down to -13°C (8.6°F).

They also showed that our Reflexcell™ material kept soldiers warm up to three times longer than bivvy bags commonly used by civilian mountaineers.

The British Royal Marines are generally issued Snugpack Softie 12 osprey or Discovery 15 Sleeping Bags rated to -12C to -15C weighing in around 1.75 to 2.4 Kg together with a British Army Goretex Bivi bag (800 grams). I don't know what survival bag they are referring to. Your certainly correct about the 'hype' though.

I wouldn't rely on this type of product in temperatures less than 10C to keep myself warm and dry, but then being trussed up like a turkey has no appeal either.

If it was a choice between the army poncho and the 'Blizzard Blanket' in dire circumstances of cold, wet and windy conditions to keep myself from suffering a cold weather injury overnight in an emergency I would have to pick the 'Blizzard Blanket' over the poncho. (especially if the poncho was not made from a vapour permeable material)

#125820 - 02/29/08 09:44 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: raydarkhorse]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I have never used or even seen a Blizzard Bag so I cannot comment, but appreciate the "Heads Up" on the lack of quality/effectiveness of this item.

I have used the heavy-duty space blankets/casuality blankets for many years and have found them to be an effective and useful piece of kit.

When hunting in the fall I would often carry a foam-type cushion to sit on to keep my butt dry and prevent me from moving. The trouble is that this is mostly a "single-use" item, so I put a space blanket in an orange nylon bag and now sit on it. It is just as comfortable as my old cushion and is much more multi-use (shelter, raincoat, signal sheet, rain-catch, heat reflector, gear tarp, etc).

These heavier space blankets are not as tough as a real tarp but I have used them a lot with just a few duct tape patches added.

Mike

#125824 - 02/29/08 11:18 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Am_Fear_Liath_Mor, I know what your saying about the Blizzard bags functionality, I still think a military poncho liner and poncho would be more durable and efficient as this piece of garbage. The use of reflectivity has it's uses but to this date there is nothing significantly available for size to weight and durability that I'm aware of. I had tried this bag over the hype and again was disappointed with it. In a life or death situation and you had this available it would help but would it last the whole night without tearing itself apart, I would be skeptic. Would I trust my life to it or recommend it, absolutely not. I would trust a military poncho liner and the poncho with it if it was raining or a 55 gallon trash bag with leaves and grass in it first. I carry a WM bag in my LRBOB kit but I was trying to find something for my EDC backpack BOB.

#125828 - 02/29/08 11:40 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I saw a similar product years ago and though it sounded too Murphoid for my tastes. Given the cited weight and size wasn't too much below what a good ultra-light sleeping bag is it seemed technologically redundant and unlikely to degrade with wear gracefully. That it is One-use-only tends to cement in my mind that it isn't very durable to begin with.

Interestingly I saw reviews of a similar product and they didn't have the sort of problems you have with it falling apart when opened. I suspect that the bag you got was old and the plastic in the laminate has degraded over time. I would package it up and send it back with a demand for a refund. It is unacceptable as shipped.

Thankfully you were made aware of its shortcomings before it was needed to fill a critical need. Shades of "Catch-22" where the first-aid kits and parachutes had been replaced with IOUs.

#125833 - 03/01/08 12:26 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Art_in_FL]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks Art_in_FL, I think I'm going to take your advice and return it for a money back. I don't care for a replacement, just a refund. I think I'll stick with poncho liners fir now and my WM bag for everything else.

#125835 - 03/01/08 12:28 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Falcon 5000,

I have never used a poncho liner and do not know what a WM bag is, can you expand on this?

Thanks,

Mike

#125836 - 03/01/08 12:43 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: SwampDonkey]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

for 30.00 you can get 2 amk heatsheet emergency bivys. Heck I carry 2 of the 2 person heatsheets one to rig as a tarp or lean to cover or to waterproof a debris hut and one to wrap myself up in.

#125840 - 03/01/08 02:36 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi falcon5000,

The problem is that nothing else weighing in at around 500 grams is really going to keep your warm either at 40F or 4C, except for perhaps an ultralighweight Down Bag with the very highest specifications.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_58&products_id=31

Even then it would require the use of a bivi bag designed with breathable materials, which is again another 300-400 grams, when used in conjuction with the sleeping bag in wet conditions and windy conditions. e.g Rab Survival Zone Bivi or Alpkit Hunka bivi

http://www.alpkit.com/hunka/

The main problem with the 'Blizzard Bag or Blanket' is the word 'Blizzard'. It claims a Tog rating of 8. This is a comfort temperature equivalent to a 1-2 season sleeping bag i.e. late spring/summer/early autumn. Certainly not a winter 'Blizzard' application product. These products are certainly an improvement on the conventional space or mylar blanket but there needs to be a reality check on its claimed usefulness in winter conditions.

From the Blizzard Survival Website;

Quote:
A report by the British Royal Marines has proved that Blizzard Survival Bags are up four times more effective in cold weather warfare conditions than current issue UK army survival bags.

The three day trials were conducted in Arctic Norway, at temperatures down to -13°C (8.6°F).

They also showed that our Reflexcell™ material kept soldiers warm up to three times longer than bivvy bags commonly used by civilian mountaineers.

The British Royal Marines are generally issued Snugpack Softie 12 osprey or Discovery 15 Sleeping Bags rated to -12C to -15C weighing in around 1.75 to 2.4 Kg together with a British Army Goretex Bivi bag (800 grams). I don't know what survival bag they are referring to. Your certainly correct about the 'hype' though.

I wouldn't rely on this type of product in temperatures less than 10C to keep myself warm and dry, but then being trussed up like a turkey has no appeal either.

If it was a choice between the army poncho and the 'Blizzard Blanket' in dire circumstances of cold, wet and windy conditions to keep myself from suffering a cold weather injury overnight in an emergency I would have to pick the 'Blizzard Blanket' over the poncho. (especially if the poncho was not made from a vapour permeable material)

Speaking of 500g range down sleeping bags, I bought this one http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=69 last summer and have really liked it. It weighs 19 oz (~539 g). Depending on the conditions you're taking it into, a bivvy of some sort would be advisable; it doesn't retain heat well in wind and would be useless wet.

It does sound like a lot of hype on the "blizzard" bag. I'd love to know exactly how they tested it. What were the marines wearing? Did they put a sleeping bag or the like inside the bivvy? Wrapped in that flimsy piece of foil in -13C sounds like misery if not death unless you've got a lot of other things in that bag beyond your naked, shivering body.

#125842 - 03/01/08 03:24 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Thanks Art_in_FL, I think I'm going to take your advice and return it for a money back. I don't care for a replacement, just a refund. I think I'll stick with poncho liners fir now and my WM bag for everything else.

I would take it up with the company politely but firmly. If they fail to take care of it in a reasonable manner, assuming you make the purchase with a credit card, you may have some extra leverage.

Contact your credit card company and explain the situation. Several times I have had money refunded.

#125865 - 03/01/08 01:00 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: SwampDonkey]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

SwampDonkey
The bag WM is a western mountaineering bag and the poncho liner http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/big-id-2-shbgid-5441.html are a small military blanket that lines the poncho. The western mountaineering bag is what I keep in a LRBOB (Long range Bug out bag). I have always wanted a WM bag and after over 10 years I finally bought one and I love the bag to death. It has been the most comfortable bag I've ever owned. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=40

Art_in_FL
Thanks for the advice Art_in_FL, the company I bought it from said they would gladly refund the money. They've been a pretty good company to deal with, it's not there fault on a defective product from a vacuum sealed bag from the manufacturer but they want to make good on it, which I was happy with.

Hikin_Jim
I had got the Bristlecone MF http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=40
and have great luck with it. I have been eying bivy's what would you recommend for the WM bags. The one I have is huge and like a fortress and I love the extra room. I had just began looking at them and this was the first one I came across. Outdoor Research Micro Night Bivy--> http://www.backcountry.com/store/ODR0240..._df_2737_694598
Any ideas on a good Bivy for real wet environments?

#125897 - 03/01/08 08:15 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

... "the company I bought it from said they would gladly refund the money. They've been a pretty good company to deal with, it's not there fault on a defective product from a vacuum sealed bag from the manufacturer but they want to make good on it, which I was happy with."

Cool deal.

IMHO the difference between a merely adequate outlet and a really good one is how they deal with legitimate complaints and returns.

http://www.bydezignproducts.com/
A big +1 for them for handling it well.

Keep the option of working directly through the credit card company in mind. It can be a useful threat and in a few cases when I got stiffed it was the card company that set things right. Bless their craven, greedy little gravy-sucking, capitalist hearts. Just don't abuse the privilege or turn to them too early or too often.

#125966 - 03/02/08 03:21 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am no fan of space blankets. That said, I tested the Blizzard Bag and came away with a positive opinion.Forum readers may want to read that thread before screaming garbage and rattling credit cards at the retailers. Once again, The BB meets a specific need; compact emergency units for people who hopefully are wearing winter clothing. If you don't like one use items carry either a dedicated sleeping bag and tent or a body bag. A garbage bag seen without the prejudical contents equated with a BB is just that. I truly want to see an injured or hypothermic victim gather leaves in the high wind, white out conditions of say, The Pennines of the U.K.

#125980 - 03/02/08 06:16 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I am no fan of space blankets. That said, I tested the Blizzard Bag and came away with a positive opinion.Forum readers may want to read that thread before screaming garbage and rattling credit cards at the retailers. Once again, The BB meets a specific need; compact emergency units for people who hopefully are wearing winter clothing. If you don't like one use items carry either a dedicated sleeping bag and tent or a body bag. A garbage bag seen without the prejudical contents equated with a BB is just that. I truly want to see an injured or hypothermic victim gather leaves in the high wind, white out conditions of say, The Pennines of the U.K.

Chris,
I was given one of these when they first came out. They are strictly 1°c +. Typical UK just above freezing, wet & windy . Classic hypothermia conditions.
Pennines/Scottish Winter 0/0 -15°c, no. If you ain't properly dressed, and you don't have a decent sleeping bag and preferably a snow hole you are very likely dead.
As something you can wrap around a casuality to stand off shock and retard hypothermia whilst awaiting medivac it's excellent.
But, and its a big but, I would hate to try deploying one with a broken arm or leg.
Ironically, I think that its best role is for survival at sea. For protection in a dingy or even in the water it has distinct possibilities.

#125989 - 03/02/08 12:18 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
trailgear Offline
Stranger

I've used the Survival Tube from www.BlizzardSurvival.com with great success. But my application is a bit different, I use it as an over bag for my camping hammock.

It is a bit crinkly as they say and it's made with several layers of Reflexcell™ which I found to be fairly strong. The crinkly noise is not an issue once you get inside the hammock because you don't roll around like you would if you were laying on the ground. It weighs only 18.5 oz and can be folded an rolled to a small size for storage. It's delivered vacuum sealed about the size of a video cassette.

The benefit with using with a hammock is there's no strain placed on the Survival Tube, it's suspended in the air. I'm sure if you used it on the ground it would have a chance of being damaged, but used with a hammock it's great.

I've used the Survival Tube at 38 degrees with a fleece blanket and sleeping pad inside the hammock and was very warm all night long. This is a great product. If you're a cold weather hammock camper, you owe it to yourself to check this product out.

To use as an over bag, simply slide your hammock through the Survival Tube. Close the end at the foot with the pull draw cord. Get in the hammock, pull the Survival Tube over your body and hammock then adjust the draw cord under your chin. To avoid suffocation, always keep your head outside the bag.

For the low price of $29.95, I think it's a good product at least for my application.

TG

Here's some pictures ...

It comes vacuum sealed about the size of a video cassette

#126058 - 03/03/08 12:21 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: trailgear]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

trailgear, I'm glad you've had good luck but mine was falling apart out of the package which in an emergency situation and never inspected because you trust a vendor of a good product could have resulted in a life threatening situation. I will give you credit this is better than nothing, but it has reinforced the fact that nothing beats a bag and bivy. All the noise that it makes and how fragile mine is, I would opt for a bag or poncho liner. To each is his own, I know the mylar and type materials have always had a shelf life break down period. I've changed out tons of mylar with Meximelt on aircraft due to static and desegregation. Even on aircraft, new it works great but very noisy but after a few years, noticeable desegregation occurs. If you inspect yours closely, do you have any small holes developing yet? If not, ma bey you got a good batch for now but time will tell. I still am very very dissatisfied with the quality. I would not put my life on it for sure.

#204727 - 07/14/10 10:36 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
BrianP Offline
Stranger

Sorry about ressurecting an old thread, but I recently received some blizzard bags and blizzard vest for evaluation. They worked great and I now include them in our mountain rescue kits.

They must have improved upon them recently as I feel they are great for casualty evacuation, more so than heatsheets.

Nothing beats a good sleeping bag for the rescuers, though...

#204739 - 07/15/10 01:36 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: BrianP]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
So, in other words, you could carry a person by grabbing on to the two ends and lifting? Interesting.

HJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.