Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#124721 - 02/21/08 08:04 PM Finally joining up
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Greetings fellow survival folks.

I have been reading this forum for a while, mostly due to one of my best friends joining a while back. He is a survival nut, and although he has a big fancy house and lots of cool toys you will often find him in the woods with nothing more than a backpack, a knife, a gun and some homemade items testing out some skill or another. I don’t profess to be at that level but he is always ragging on me about being an armchair survivalist. He is correct. I have all the fancy gear but don’t use it much. He has actually succeeded in getting me quite hooked on the topic of survival though. I really began to read this forum a lot more knowing it was one of my buddies doing the talking. In fact, half the unit reads this forum now because of the guy. He is currently away for the next few months tending to business overseas. Little does he know that he was voted to become the unit advanced survival instructor upon his return to Canada. He is going to love that one. He always tells me that I should join the forum rather than just reading it. I finally broke down I guess.

He goes by the name of TAURUS on this forum. If you are reading this Mac, you win dude. I am here finally. Hope all is well over there. Take care brother. stay sharp

I hope I can learn a lot here. I am Looking forward to having some knowledge by the time TAURUS gets home so he will stop picking on me.

Now.......where do I begin?

#124722 - 02/21/08 08:21 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Welcome to ETS! I hope you'll enjoy it over here.

#124723 - 02/21/08 08:24 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Any friends of Taurus are a welcome here. As for where to start, just go for a walk in the woods and start trying some of your gear.

Or better yet, mail it to me and I'll test it for you! grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#124725 - 02/21/08 08:43 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Welcome and join in with questions and/or commnets.

Pete

#124727 - 02/21/08 08:47 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: Blast]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Blast

Or better yet, mail it to me and I'll test it for you! grin

-Blast

Hold it Blast. You're already getting your own TV-show grin, so we'll let someone else do the testing right.. wink

#124732 - 02/21/08 08:52 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: Blast]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Blast
Any friends of Taurus are a welcome here...

-Blast

+1 to that. We all love that guy...in the manliest sense possible of course.

And another Edmontonian (I'm assuming of course you live in or near here) is great in my books smile

If we get enough of us here we'll have to *gasp* actuall meet up some time and talk to each other the old fashioned way...or better yet go out into the hinterlands and put our money where our mouths are.

#124741 - 02/21/08 10:39 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the ETS Forum friend, you will find this site very educational and addictive. Your input is most welcome.

Mike

#124745 - 02/21/08 10:59 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker
Now.......where do I begin?

First of all..Welcome to ETS.

Taurus is a great guy and can't wait for his safe return.

Now...Plow through the old forums until your eyes bleed. There is gobs of stuff available to you. Research, research, research: practice, practice, practice.

Last but not least...do not send BLAST anything!! He doesn't use that name for no reason...

Again, welcome.

#124747 - 02/21/08 11:02 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: MoBOB]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Welcome to the forums new guy!!

#124756 - 02/22/08 12:28 AM Re: Finally joining up [Re: Themalemutekid]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Welcome, and glad you could make it wink - lots of good folks and information.

#124759 - 02/22/08 12:50 AM Re: Finally joining up [Re: massacre]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Looks like TAURUS made a few friends here. Well, let me just say that if you ever are lost in the sticks or in the middle of a firefight that’s the fellow you want with you. I owe him big time in that regard. I don’t want to swell his head but a better soldier or outdoorsman you will not often find. A little bit on the insane side though.
I am a good friend of his but like all true good friends I will take every opportunity to embarrass and rag on the guy just like he does with me. All in good fun of course. Did he ever mention the time he got lost in a blizzard and was stuck for two days till I had to get him unstuck? Ha ha
Hacksaw. I hail from Wainwright for the moment but I spent a lot of time in Ed usually traveling back and forth several times per week. I guess I am an ex -Edmontonian if that counts for anything. Would be nice to plan a trip sometime. I don’t hunt or anything but I want to get back into a little hiking and stuff, and maybe plan a little hunt or two later to see how I like that. The army ruined the enjoyment of most outdoor activity for me but my nut job friend has slowly re-invoked my interest in that stuff. When on civi time I usually don’t consider it camping unless I have beer and loud music. I am no stranger to the outdoors being in my job. But on my free time I enjoy sitting on my couch and drinking beer with a ps3 game rather than heading right back out like Taurus does. You really wouldn’t believe half of the stuff that lad gets into for fun.

Blast. You need to talk to Taurus for getting gear sent to you. That guy is always mailing people free stuff when he can. As crazy as he may be he got a big heart in every regard. As for explosions, we both are explosives techs by trade so I bet the three of us could have a real ...…well…....blast together someday.

I will apologize in advance if I drag up a topic that has been beaten to death but it would take a month to read back through all the material here. Army stuff I know, but I honestly don’t know about certain other aspects beyond the basic army survival training.
My goal is to get as much info as possible and get good at a few things so that I can be the one to show him up in the field for once.

Once again. Thanks for the welcome.

#124776 - 02/22/08 02:31 AM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Hi BMT,
Welcome to the group. Glad to have you join. Please review the older threads as you have time to do so. Suggestion, keep a pad and pen handy as you review them & note items of interest. Makes them easier to find. Bookmarking also works well.
Regards,
Comanche7

#124779 - 02/22/08 03:00 AM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Welcome aboard glad you finally joined, and stories about Taurus or anyone else are always good especially when he aint here to take up for himself. As for Blast and things that goes boom he’s OK there just keep the cats away from him.

#124784 - 02/22/08 03:20 AM Re: Finally joining up [Re: raydarkhorse]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
just keep the cats away from him.

I will have to dig back through the old files now to find out why this is. sounds like a funny story

#124820 - 02/22/08 04:09 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Welcome BMT,

I think it safe to day that we are all missing Taurus and await his safe return.

Here is a link for you about Blast and the kitty.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=106967&fpart=1

Welcome,

Blitz

#124864 - 02/22/08 06:59 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Well, first of all, hello and welcome. My name is Marty Focazio, and I'm one of the forum admins here. We always welcome new members and I think that the others have answered most of your "where do I start" questions. It's always nice to have our northern neighbors join in the conversation.

#124878 - 02/22/08 09:11 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Welcome aboard BMT!

#124882 - 02/22/08 09:34 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I don’t hunt or anything but I want to get back into a little hiking and stuff,

As you may have seen, Hacksaw is also a not a hunter, but was may be the right word. Seems his thread today says he is planning on purchasing a firearm. Be careful, this may be contagious.

And as the others have said, welcome.

#124960 - 02/23/08 05:25 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Welcome to the forum!
When on civi time I usually don’t consider it camping unless I have beer and loud music.

Don’t worry. Beer and loud music are probably on many of our survival lists. laugh

#125015 - 02/24/08 02:55 AM Re: Finally joining up [Re: bigmothertrucker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

#125066 - 02/24/08 03:57 PM Re: Finally joining up [Re: MartinFocazio]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Welcome aboard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 408 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.