The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#125505 - 02/28/08 12:45 AM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: Schwert]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
There you go again. I'm just gonna have to sell all my camera gear, I'll never be up to your standards. sigh...

#125513 - 02/28/08 01:20 AM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: benjammin]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Although I've never publically posted negative comments regarding a retailer before, Military Logistics Manufacturers, Inc. gets the nod for being the first (and hopefully last) to warrant such an honor.

http://www.militarylogisticsmfg.com/

I ordered several items from this site back in December (2007) and after several weeks of hearing absolutely nothing from them I attempted to contact them to inquire as to the status of my order. Originally I gave them the benefit of the doubt, as I thought perhaps they were closed for an extended holiday break, or were simply a small Mom & Pop operation operating out of a basement and had run into some other type of crisis.

It was only at this time that I noticed there was no telephone number listed on the website. Had I noticed this fact before I placed the order I would have shopped elsewhere, as I can't imagine why a legitimate retail outfit wouldn't list a telephone number on their website, let alone a physical address.

My American Express statement showed that MLM had processed the charges related to the entire order on January 3, yet here it was several weeks later and I still hadn't received anything from them, and they continued to completely ignore all my attempts to contact them.

When several more days went by without receiving replies to any of my previous emails, I sent a final email informing them of my desire to cancel the order, as well as my intention to contact American Express. AMEX suspended the charges and made attempts to contact MLM regarding the transaction.

Fast forward several more weeks -- I received a small banged up recycled package in the mail with a couple of dirty, used canteen cups and no paperwork (these items were merely one of several items from the original order with MLM). The postal cancellation on the box was from the same town in Florida that my investigation had determined MLM was located in, so I attempted once more to contact them informing them that I had previousely cancelled the order, not to send anything else, and if they wanted the trash back that they sent me they needed to forward a prepaid ARS label to me, otherwise it was going in the garbage.

This week I received notice from AmEx that they had completed their investigation into the charges, and since the retailer had provided documentation that the order was received by me, had reinstated the full charges! I called AmEx and advised them that MLM had merely sent me a small box of trash (with USPS Delivery Confirmation) fully two and a half weeks after they were first contacted by AmEx requesting documentation.

AmEx agreed this seemed very suspicious (producing documentation that was dated several weeks after the initial request was made by AmEx) so once again the charges have been reversed and AmEx's fraud investigation case has been reopened.

Jim

#125545 - 02/28/08 05:07 AM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: MichaelJ]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
REI, Eastern Mountain Sports, TAD Gear, Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, County Comm, Cabela's, Surefire, and Sportsman's Warehouse all get a big thumbs up from me.

#125565 - 02/28/08 01:00 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: Paragon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
After reading your post I've decided to investigate this a little. The address the company gives on their website is only 20 minutes from my home, so I think I will check them out this weekend. The company is not in the local phone book, and should be, so I am going to check with the local county folks here and see what I can find out.

I'll let the forum know what I discover.

#125621 - 02/28/08 07:27 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: Andy]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted By: Andy
There you go again. I'm just gonna have to sell all my camera gear, I'll never be up to your standards. sigh...

Thanks Andy. Sometimes I just get lucky...having a really good subject certainly helps.

#125648 - 02/28/08 10:13 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: benjammin]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: benjammin
After reading your post I've decided to investigate this a little. The address the company gives on their website is only 20 minutes from my home, so I think I will check them out this weekend. The company is not in the local phone book, and should be, so I am going to check with the local county folks here and see what I can find out.

I'll let the forum know what I discover.

Benjammin,

Thanks. I sent you a PM with additional details regarding this matter.

Jim

#125653 - 02/28/08 10:31 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: Paragon]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Has anyone ever bought anything from ToolUp.com? The reason why I ask is because I am looking for the cheapest place to get a Leatherman Charge TTI and they can get it to my door for $98.96!!

#125673 - 02/28/08 11:27 PM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: ]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

I checked the Fry's website and it showed only the AL model. I prob will just get it for $118 (to the door) from REI...

Sorry to digress from the topic...

#125705 - 02/29/08 01:36 AM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: Rusty]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Rusty
I checked the Fry's website and it showed only the AL model. I prob will just get it for $118 (to the door) from REI...

It's only $99.00 plus $8.97 shipping from here:

http://www.all-leatherman-tools-4-less.com/detail_leatherman_chargeTTi.html

Ten bucks is ten bucks...

Jim

#125707 - 02/29/08 01:42 AM Re: Places to buy, places to avoid? [Re: Paragon]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Yeah I was looking at that place... I didn't know how legitimate they were. It's a good price though!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 574 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.