Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#124120 - 02/17/08 02:52 PM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: dweste]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
My DR's PSK and AMK FAK have gone through many a building and airport screeening without a problem. In those buildings where I have trusted access but no guards with guns I will carry a small SAK and sometimes a CRKT KISS money clip/knife.(technically that may be a violation but no one seems to mind) In buildings with guards with guns but where I have trusted access (I can skip the detectors)I may carry a small SAK. But to get into buildings where I don't have trusted access and therfore need to go thru the detectors I leave all the sharps home if I take public transport, or in my car if I drive.

My biggest fear is that I may get called to someplace in the middle of day that has detectors and I've got my non-detector day EDC with me. I'm thinking of buying a flat rate USPS Priority Mail envelope to carry with me so I can dump the forbidden stuff in that, drop it in the mail box before I go in the building. Since one of my rules to live by is to always be polite to people with guns and badges I don't try to fight the system.

The worst day is taking public transport to a building with detectors, guards with guns, and not having a knife or multi-tool with me. If an event occurs I'm left toolless. Most of these kinds of placess are 100+ miles from home.

#124127 - 02/17/08 06:25 PM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: SwampDonkey]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I think a p-38 or p-51 can opener is not a problem walking into court. One had made it with me into some courts, and no one has looked twice at the thing on my key chain.

The knife is the thing I take out of my pocket. I leave keep the knives together and pull them from my bag. Since a few of our courthouses have cafeterias with plastic knives, I think you could bring one in.

Edited by Dan_McI (02/17/08 06:25 PM)

#124128 - 02/17/08 06:45 PM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: dweste]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: dweste

2. Tools: Seatbelt cutter and can opener probably not acceptable, the rest manageable.

the resq-me seat belt cutter does not look like any other cutter, and if attached to your key ring, would probably not gather any undue attention. imho - worth a try.

#124191 - 02/18/08 06:46 AM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: bsmith]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
When I go to the post office downtown in Sac.. I have to go through a metal detector just to get in. My problem is I EDC a Leatherman micra and a genric SAK. and often i don't have anyone with me to hold my stuff so i can just run in. I'd be very leary of stashing my stuff in the bushes.. due to the fact that theft is common in that area.. Also you cannot bring in cameras, cellphones that can take pictures. So what should i do with my stuff? The public ibrary is across the street. They do have storage lockers, but aren't open early or on Mondays.

Also I am very surprised I haven't set them office just due to that fact i have metal rods, screws and a plate in me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 222 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.