Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#123731 - 02/13/08 08:33 PM Re: Young Adventurers Club: Ideas? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I like the idea of a "Young Adventurer's Club" a lot. I wish there had been an alternative to scouting when I was growing up simply because I couldn't seem to get a "transfer" out of the lame troop I was saddled with.

Lame or not, I had a Cub Scout Knife and was allowed to carry it.

Anyway, I'd change "- real tools, real adventures, real risks" because you're just asking to be sued if anyone ever gets hurt, or to be shut down for child endangerment.

I hope you can get this rolling.

#124972 - 02/23/08 07:52 PM Re: Young Adventurers Club: Ideas? [Re: Susan]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Sue nice idea with the scavenger hunt.....I'll have to remember that one....Martin...I didn't read through all the posts so forgive me if it repeated...I know some said that some things got to artsy craftsy.....think about sewing.....and no it doesn't have to be artsy craftsy.....they should all know how to do at least the 'repair' type.....buttons...a small amount of straight line sewing (think split seam)....and reinforcing.....you could include it with a few other types of meeting activities....you split your seam....find something (scavenger hunt) to fix it with.....

#126771 - 03/08/08 09:02 PM Re: Young Adventurers Club: Ideas? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone! You've inspired the indoor portion of the March Break camp at our house!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#126817 - 03/09/08 02:11 AM Re: Young Adventurers Club: Ideas? [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
RE indoor tracker training: Before the event get parents and youngsters to use tupperware type boxes partially filled with damp sand to make tracks with the "help" of their favorite domestic canid, feline, turtle, lizard, birds, and whatever other pets you can find in your group. If you are brave, try to include some "scat."

Station the boxes around the room with the pet owner as part of the instructors. Have the appropriate pages from something like the Peterson's Guide to Animal Tracks at each station. Let the youngsters solo or in small groups go around the circuit try to figure out each track, then let the youngster who owns the pet instruct on the track and how to tell who made the track with the aid of the guidebook pages.

Make it part of other events going on so if someone doesn't enjoy the tracker stuff or has to wait their turn, there are other things to keep their interest.

Have fun!

Edited by dweste (03/09/08 02:12 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.