Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#123537 - 02/12/08 10:18 AM Climbing gear
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

After reading on the scuba tread, I have some questions about (indoor) climbing gear. Last night I finished a basic course for indoor climbing. I’m now allowed to climb without supervision.

I’m planning on doing this more often, so I want to buy some equipment my self. Any climbers here, who have good advice about buying gear, can tell me what to look at or knows a few good websites about climbing gear? I must be looking with the wrong words on google, because I haven’t found any.

And yes, I will only buy new climbing equipment and not second hand equipment, because that’s just taking unnecessary risks.

#123550 - 02/12/08 01:47 PM Re: Climbing gear [Re: Tjin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
There are many many makers of climbing gear, Petzl being just one. If you know the proper knots, you can make pretty good harnesses with nothing more than flat tubular webbing, or (less comfortable), rope. I would suggest that you visit a store like REI that has a large selection, and start trying stuff on for fit and comfort. REI also employees with experience in that area...

#123551 - 02/12/08 02:01 PM Re: Climbing gear [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I do know the mayor climbing brands. I just have no idea which one is more innovative, has better designs, certain specific type of equipment, etc. I am familiar with tying a harness with webbing, also know as a “swissseat”. But for safety reasons, I will go for a proper harness. Mine life is a lot more worth than those 40 euros I save.

I’m looking for information from more than just one climber, I want to be able to see all kinds of different perspectives from different people about climbing equipment. Something a single employee generally can’t give.

I'm also planning on buying mine gear from an actually store, after testing it. I could safe money on the internet, but actually testing the comforts and build quality before buying, can't be beaten.

#123556 - 02/12/08 02:48 PM Re: Climbing gear [Re: Tjin]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Indoor climbing's nice, isn't it.. wink

Didn't the climbing-facility or instructor have a couple of suggestions?

Generally, outdoor-stores do have this stuff in their assoriment. Maybe go pay them a visit as well for suggestions?

How about at the fire-station grin

#123557 - 02/12/08 02:57 PM Re: Climbing gear [Re: JIM]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Here is a forum, (google must have dropped the ball on this one)
http://www.rockclimbing.com/

#123571 - 02/12/08 04:41 PM Re: Climbing gear [Re: Tjin]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
For indoor climbing (oxymoron?) you should start with your own shoes. Brands like 5.10, La Sportiva, Boreal, MadRock all make good shoes. Get shoes that fit the tight without pain. Try on as many models as possible.

Next you need a chalk bag; pick you favorite color or pattern.
Nothing technical here.

You now need a harness. Black Diamond, Metolius and Petzl make good ones. Again try a buch on.

To go with your harness you will need a locking carabiner designed to be used with a belay device. For belay devices I like the Black Diamiond ATC. Petzl also makes the GriGri which is a bit more complicated but is a good choice for indoor and sport routes.

That is the basic gear you need for climbing in a gym.

Don't stay inside; use the gym to propel you into outdoor climbing on real rock. Redal rock can't be beat.
Bill

#123616 - 02/12/08 10:02 PM Re: Climbing gear [Re: Tjin]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
I wish I could help you, when I was a in my teens and early 20's I did a lot of rock climbing and repelling. A couple of years ago I was thinking about getting back into it, but when I started looking I could vaguely remember what each piece was but they had changed so much. I was staggered by the way the equipment had changed but when I saw the new prices my ole heart nearly stopped!

Edited by raydarkhorse (02/12/08 10:03 PM)

#123803 - 02/14/08 02:59 AM Re: Climbing gear [Re: Tjin]
MtnRescue Offline

Loc: NoVA
If you're not in a rush, find a local climbing club. Talk with your new mates and see what they recommend for your particular area. More then likely, they'll even let you try their gear to see what fits you best before you buy or even accompany you to a gear shop.

Originally Posted By: PC2K
After reading on the scuba tread, I have some questions about (indoor) climbing gear. Last night I finished a basic course for indoor climbing. I’m now allowed to climb without supervision.

I’m planning on doing this more often, so I want to buy some equipment my self. Any climbers here, who have good advice about buying gear, can tell me what to look at or knows a few good websites about climbing gear? I must be looking with the wrong words on google, because I haven’t found any.

And yes, I will only buy new climbing equipment and not second hand equipment, because that’s just taking unnecessary risks.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 140 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.