The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#122544 - 02/04/08 03:22 AM Comedy in the making
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you're going to travel via Amtrak, take your kits with you.

A large snow plow fell through a trestle and landed on some railroad tracks in the Sierras, stranding about 400 passengers on two trains.

Amtrak, true to the American way of management, didn't tell the passengers what happened, just that the snow was falling too fast and heavy to keep the tracks cleared. I guess they thought the idea of a few tons of metal sitting quietly on the tracks was too much information to provide.

The people whined and complained. The smokers tried to rip the doors and windows open when they were refused permission to go outside to smoke. Kids ran and screamed through the cars. Some teenagers got to the PA system and were making announcements like they were Amtrak officials. The wedding party crawled through the snow to the highway where wedding guests had gathered to collect them.

Not exactly a survival situation, more of a Whiner's Convention. Toss a few paperbacks into your kits for entertainment, and some duct tape to gag the kids. And their parents.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/03/BAM5UR81M.DTL

Sue

#122559 - 02/04/08 12:22 PM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Which is why I get my own room if I take a train like that, except who wants to spend $500+ for a two hour train ride, when you can fly as far in less than half the time for less than 1/4th the cost?

Amtrak was obsolete twenty years ago. Like the postal service, our government sees some reason to keep pumping precious funds into a corpse of a business just so the northeast can continue to have crappy commuter service.

It should just as well be called Federal Train Service as most of it's use is paid for from federal tax dollars.

Gotta love them lobbyists.

A few years back I let the older daughter take the train with her aunts and cousins back to South Dakota from Washington state. They got a room, but they said even then it was pretty rough, as the kids on the train were running rampant.

#122570 - 02/04/08 04:04 PM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My family took the Amtrak train from Milwaukee to Glacier National Park last spring. We had the Family room in a sleeper car. Overall it was a very positive experience, though on the way out the AC was not working too well. The food was great. The bathrooms on the lower sleeper car were clean, though the bathroom in the non-sleeper cars were horrible by the time we got farther out west.

We enjoyed the "smoke breaks" even though we don't smoke since this gave us an opportunity to step outside and see a bit of the towns - usually the back allies though.

We had all of our gear with us - in the hallway, and we brought plenty of drinks/snacks, so a delay wouldn't have been too much of a bother.

#122574 - 02/04/08 05:24 PM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: Susan]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

...Always pack a picnic.

#122637 - 02/05/08 02:11 AM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: Susan]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: Susan
If you're going to travel via Amtrak, take your kits with you.

Kids ran and screamed through the cars. HEY!!!! Some teenagers got to the PA system and were making announcements like they were Amtrak officials. and HEY!!!!
Sue

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#122661 - 02/05/08 12:44 PM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: climberslacker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Huh???

#122668 - 02/05/08 01:45 PM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: benjammin]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Amtrak was obsolete twenty years ago. Like the postal service, our government sees some reason to keep pumping precious funds into a corpse of a business just so the northeast can continue to have crappy commuter service.

Amtrak is obsolete, but it's only money-making route is, I think, on the trains between Boston and Wash. D.C., where the fares are as much as air fare. It was cheaper for me a few years ago to go to Pittsburgh via train, than it is to go to D.C.

Edited by Dan_McI (02/05/08 01:46 PM)

#122671 - 02/05/08 02:07 PM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: Dan_McI]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Every east coast Amtrak is heavily subsidized, including the trains between Boston and DC. They may not cost the taxpayer as much as other runs, but none of them are making a profit.

#122747 - 02/06/08 01:48 AM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: benjammin]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Every east coast Amtrak is heavily subsidized, including the trains between Boston and DC. They may not cost the taxpayer as much as other runs, but none of them are making a profit.

Depends on how you do the accounting - for instance, the count the line off to Harrisburg in the NE Corridor's accounting, and there are a few other things in there. I've also heard that if you don't play the bookkeepping games, the NE corridor, particularly between DC and NYC makes money
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#122789 - 02/06/08 12:51 PM Re: Comedy in the making [Re: KG2V]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

This link doesn't exactly evaluate just the east coast performance, but does give a pretty good overall view of how Amtrak is doing.

Interestingly, it does seem that the NE corridor does make money, depending on what part of Amtrak's accounting reports you read.

Amtrak Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.