Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#122621 - 02/04/08 10:41 PM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: clearwater]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Rather than lawyers, I think the majority of congress should be historians.

That is one of the most quotable statements I have ever heard!

#122627 - 02/04/08 11:04 PM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: Erik_B]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
American schools in the present atmosphere of what educating the young now means are the reason why when one thumbs through an American History Book, you'll find that George Washington has an entire paragraph dedicated to his life and history while Marilyn Monroe only gets a paltry PAGE!!!!

#122630 - 02/04/08 11:41 PM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: CJK]
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
I've heard that they do not teach kids about the constitution anymore .

When I ask myself " whats the world coming to " I can't think of anything good . I'm not very optomistic about the future .

#122631 - 02/04/08 11:44 PM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: CJK]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
My father grew up in South Bend, Indiana. His father was a professor at Notre Dame and a good friend of Knute Rockne; my dad literally was bounced on Rockne's knee as child. In the 60's and even into the 70's I could tell that story and people didn't have blank expressions on their faces. Nowadays I get nothing but blank stares at the mention of Rockne (whose funeral was broadcast on national radio). But I think that's to be expected. Americans tend to look to the future not the past. We want to believe that the future will be better than even our own most recent past, not to mention our parents' or grandparents'.

I'm sure the curmudgeons among us will want to blame the school system or politicians or parents or somebdy for the sorry state of today's young people and their knowledge of the past. But I've been hearing this lament for 40 years and it's no worse now than it was in 1968. It's just not in our nature for most of us to get caught up in the details of the past. So, sure, we make some mistakes over and over again. But that's not education, that's human nature. There are lots of young people who can make all the connections to Billy Joel's song just as there lots of baby boomers who can't.

If anybody really wants to get me on a soapbox just bring up the subject of the "good 'ol days"... You think dial up Internet was bad? Trying talking to your girlfriend on a party line telephone!

#122638 - 02/05/08 02:18 AM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: CJK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Ask about Pearl Harbor, the Bataan Death March, Midway, Normandy, Sputnik, Cuban Missile crisis, Bay of Pigs, etc, you will get the same blank stares...

#122645 - 02/05/08 03:21 AM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: Andy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Americans tend to look to the future not the past...I've been hearing this lament for 40 years and it's no worse now than it was in 1968."

Americans are so future-oriented due to simple ignorance of the past, not because of any blissful view toward the future.

I was 18 in 1968. I knew about the British Empire, the French Revolution, the American Revolution, the opening of the American West, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, the Korean war, and got hit in the teeth with the Vietnam war. I knew music from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, plus some classical. Of course, I got most of it on my own, since I only got to finish high school. Most Americans seem to think that the attack on Pearl Harbor was unprovoked!

If you really want to see how poor the American educational system is, send your public-school-educated 12-year-old to Europe to continue his/her education. Your child will be so far behind that he/she will probably never catch up.

Tell me, do you think an educated population is easier for its government to fool, cheat and lie to, or an ignorant one?

Sue

#122646 - 02/05/08 03:52 AM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
'...send your public-school-educated 12-year-old to Europe to continue his/her education. Your child will be so far behind that he/she will probably never catch up..."

Or to Japan. Sad, but true....

#122654 - 02/05/08 05:04 AM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Any of you ever watch Jay Leno. Especially his Jay Walking segment. Sure he only airs the stupid answers but really now. A couple of examples.

Just graduated history major. Couldn't answer questions about the founding fathers or the revolution. And on many was given hint that all but gavr her the answers.

A pair of grade school teachers that were very vague on WW II.

And so many more just as bad.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#122657 - 02/05/08 06:23 AM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'd take a bet that most of what people know about major historical events comes from big budget hollywood movies. IMO thats worse than not knowing anything.

#122660 - 02/05/08 12:43 PM Re: What are things coming to??? [Re: LED]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Geez, this sounds like a thread tailor made for my input; just the sort of discussion I can sink my teeth into.

I will refrain, as I have no doubt most all of you by now will know what I have to say before I do. :}

I will interject one seemingly appropos line in the spirit of the Rockie and Bullwinkle show, "Que se ra, se ra", or "Are we not Spartans?"

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 313 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.