Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#122141 - 01/31/08 03:40 PM Products to stop bleeding?
Jeff Offline

Anyone have experience with this stuff? Could help in a bad situation?

The reviews are good. Especially the one by the sheriff's department.
Here's another link

click here for info

Thanks.

Edited by Jeff (01/31/08 03:42 PM)

Jeff

#122150 - 01/31/08 04:34 PM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: Jeff]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
This is Quick-Clot. A gauze pouch filled with a mineral wich absorbes the moisture from the blood, leaving the clotting-factors inside the wound, stopping the bleeding.

Please realise that Quick-Clot is a absolute last-resort means to stop a bleeding. You've got to use gauze, pressure, tourniquet, etc. first. If that doesn't work, then you can use the Quick-Clot.

It's also recommended that you get training on how to use it and after using it, you've got to get to the hospital.

The new thing about the Quick-Clot sport is that it contains silver, wich inhibits bacterial grow. I only use the Quick-Clot ACS+

So, it could be a good addition to a FAK, but only if you know what you're doing!!

#122156 - 01/31/08 05:17 PM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: JIM]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Jim,

What is you opinion on Celox?

http://www.celoxmedical.com/

I've heard and read that it won't cause burning like quick clot and you don't need extensive training to use it?

Thanks

Blitz

#122161 - 01/31/08 06:09 PM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: Blitz]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Celox is a protein wich practically works the same as the Quick-Clot. It's absorbed by the body, so that it doesn't have to be debrided out of the wound, but with the new quick-clot, removal is a piece of cake.

Celox are granulates, but the QC- ACS comes in a gauze-pouch. If it's windy, you will have some of the Celox blowing away..

It's always better to get training on the use of first-aid products, but in a emergency, you can use Quick-Clot and Celox with limited instructions.

I think that the prices are very similair.

Lastly, the Quick-clot ACS+ versions don't get as hot as the 'old' version.

From the ETS Shot 2007 report:

Quote:
Celox
While not exactly new, Celox received their FDA approval in June of 2006; their hemostatic agent is worth mentioning as it is just now being widely distributed and readily available to civilians. Hemostatic agents are designed to stop bleeding by "clotting" the blood. Hemostatic agents have become popular in the last few years as the military seeks to curb the number one cause of preventable death on the battlefield, uncontrolled hemorrhaging. Many of these agents work well on minor wounds, but failed to adequately stop major bleeding. Other agents worked on major bleeding, but fail to perform well in the cold or produced too much heat in use. Others proved no better than a simple pressure dressing.

2006 saw a few new hemostatic agents introduced that show more promise. While many of these are unavailable to the public, and would be cost prohibitive for most users even if they were available, Celox is not only available, but is inexpensive enough to be included in many kits. Better yet, it works. Celox has been tested and shown to work on arterial bleeding, hepranized blood, and hypothermic patients (an issue with some earlier agents) with no known side effects. Asscociates who have been using it on the job validate every one of the claims made by Celox. Celox sells for $17 for a 15g package and $25 for a 35g package.

No special training is required for Celox; the on package instructions should be adequate for most users. The directions can be simple stated as; "open envelope, dump contents in wound, apply pressure for 5 minutes, wrap with dressing for transport" (refer to actual instructions before use). A couple 15g packs would be a great addition to anyone's first aid or medical kit. Be aware that Celox has a limited shelf life, like many medical products, of 3-years. For most markets, Celox is distributed by SAM Medical Products (yes, the SAM Splint folks).

#122164 - 01/31/08 06:29 PM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: JIM]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Thanks for the info Jim.

#122176 - 01/31/08 09:29 PM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: Blitz]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Any comments on BloodStop Gauze?

Thanks,

-john

Edited by JohnN (01/31/08 09:30 PM)

#122191 - 01/31/08 11:05 PM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: JohnN]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I used QR to stop a nose bleed once. Came as a tab of loose granules with a cotton swab. Burned, but it worked. Takes more than you think.
It's a different kind of clot you have to deal with afterwards though...

#122216 - 02/01/08 02:48 AM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: Nishnabotna]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My emergency medical experience isn't all that extensive, but I have been involved in about two hundred wilderness accident scenes where significant bleeding occurred. In all cases, direct pressure on the wound worked just fine. One of these situations was the virtual amputation (the job was completed later in the hospital) of an arm. This stuff may have applications with battlefield situations, but I don't think it is necessary for most "normal" traumas.

I would be very interested in the experience and opinions of some of our really experienced medical folks.

#122253 - 02/01/08 12:56 PM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: JohnN]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JohnN
Any comments on BloodStop Gauze?

Thanks,

-john

Haven't heard of it, but after reading the link it looks good at first glance..

#122258 - 02/01/08 01:40 PM Re: Products to stop bleeding? [Re: Jeff]
MtnRescue Offline

Loc: NoVA
I like keeping things simple:

pack several 4x4s (or other sizes) and apply direct pressure with a gloved hand or wrap a triangular bandage around the wound (not so tight on an arm or leg to cut circulation).

Another alternative product to the above example: Bloodstopper Dressings

I have several in my SAR FAK and have used them once so far. I like them because they're easy to use.

Edited by MtnRescue (02/01/08 01:40 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 616 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.