Topic Options
#12215 - 01/20/03 03:09 PM Fish bags
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Gang:

On Friday I got lots of sample fish bags from Mid State Plastics:

www.midstateplastics.com

This weekend I experimented with the different sizes and thicknesses for use as water treatment and storage bags in my PSKs.

The 3 mil 5 x 12 inch bag seems just perfect. When you twist the top closed, it's exactly the same size and shape as a 1 quart (1 liter) pop bottle, so it's easy to estimate when you've got a quart.

The 2 mil bags seemed more than rugged enough, but the combination of the perfect size and extra thickness made the 5 x 12 the winner in my estimation.

They're not set up for online sales, but if you call them, they're friendly and helpful.

I've ordered a case of 1,000 of the 5 x 12 inch bags. That should be enough to last me a lifetime.

If anyone wants a few of these, I'd be happy to share them with you. Just send me a self addressed, stamped envelope, and I'll put some in and mail them back to you.

Email me off-forum and I'll give you the address to mail to.

Bear

#12216 - 02/06/03 03:42 PM Re: Fish bags
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

My apologies to those who sent messages requesting bags. I did not realize that the little flashing mail icon meant I had messages until today.

I've replied to them and will do my utmost to expedite return of the bags once I receive your SASE.

The offer still stands, by the way -- anyone who wants ten or so bags, just email me and I'll give you the snail mail address.

Bear

PS: you can use the private message feature of this site (I promise to pay better attention) or you can email me -- I've added my email address to my profile.

#12217 - 02/07/03 06:47 AM Re: Fish bags
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found a good alternative-high gauge plastic "book carriers" - if you have kids they may come home with a haugh guage plastic bag with reinforced handels-they are clear and can be bought from bookshops for around 50p - £1 my trials so far prove they are good-only thing is they don't seal!!!

Mark

#12218 - 02/07/03 02:13 PM Re: Fish bags
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Mark: The fish bags don't seal either. Their saving grace is how small they fold down -- for inclusion in an Altoids-sized PSK. A bigger bag, especially with handles, might be handier in actual use. You'd have to put the fish bag in a sock or other plastic bag or find some way to help it stand up.

I've just received some Platypus 1L plastic bag bottles and carriers for use when backpacking. (I set up base camp with a 3L bladder in my backpack, but like to go exploring with just my jump bag and some water.)

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/bottles_carriers.asp

One is just a net bag with a strap and that seems really promising for either my hiking application, or for inclusion in a larger PSK.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 310 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.