Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#120970 - 01/21/08 07:00 PM Step 1, THEN step 2...
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I got a call from the DW this morning telling me, A) DD1 has two cavities and B) our water taps had gone dry. I immediately launched into telling her that we had plenty of water stored, to use the collected rain water for flushing the toilets, to call the neighbor to confirm their water was out, etc... And as I was talking I could feel the phone in my hand freeze over...

D'oh! I don't know about your wives, but with mine the first step always needs to be saying, "Wow honey, that really sucks. You must be feeling miserable."

Once I remembered to say those words DW snapped out of her funk, thanked me for understanding her needs and started taking care of things again. We're a month away from our 10-year anniversery and I still always forget that step one is not to solve the problem but to give DW a little comfort.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#120977 - 01/21/08 08:10 PM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: Blast]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
What IS it with women and their incessant need to vent and by doing so, get some attention? Geez, every GF I've had, my mom, all the ladies I know...

"Don't you dare solve the problem! I just want you to feel bad for me!"

Drives me absolutely insane. I refuse to change for their twisted need to feel downtrodden. (NOT married, and happy!)

#120980 - 01/21/08 08:24 PM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: MDinana]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
As much as I find this frustrating, I also know it is just the way many women are, although not all. Conversation for them is not so much as simply sharing information, it's about emotions. Fight it at your own peril.

I will note that I do fight it, but not all the time.

#120981 - 01/21/08 08:31 PM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: MDinana]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: MDinana
"Don't you dare solve the problem! I just want you to feel bad for me!"

I couldn't have said it better myself.

When I actually remember this and put it into practice, more often than not after I express my empathy she says "thanks" and hangs up before I get a chance to solve the problem.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#120982 - 01/21/08 09:01 PM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: MDinana]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: MDinana
"Don't you dare solve the problem! I just want you to feel bad for me!"...I refuse to change for their twisted need to feel downtrodden

Women are (generally) wired to seek relationship & understanding. Men are (generally) wired to seek solutions & resources. This is a fundamental truth of human beings and puts the lie to the mistaken modern notion that it is (generally) healthy to reverse sex roles.

You can fight it and suffer, or understand it and benefit.

#120987 - 01/21/08 09:11 PM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: ]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
Woah, easy gents. Don't paint with such a broad brush. I was reading the post and thinking - ah good - he's all set, she ought to be well equipped to deal with things now - after all - loss of water (temporarily) is simple enough with a few precautions and he did provide solutions. When I got to the Freeze part - *I* was stunned for a moment - and I'm female. I had to reread it to figure out what her issue might have been. Not every female immediately reacts emotionally and mildly hysterically in the face of an emergency. Some even react rationally. Who knew?? Just sayin'.

Of course - I suppose the trick is to know on which side of the split your SO stands.

Bona Na Croin

#120988 - 01/21/08 09:15 PM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: wolf]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I did try to qualify my post by saying "many women" and "although not all." It's not universal, but it is common.

A practical sort of man should to some extent figure this out, and do what he needs to get the job done or have her get the job done. I expect most men that read on forums such as this one are relatively practical.

#120989 - 01/21/08 09:31 PM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: wolf]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Of course - I suppose the trick is to know on which side of the split your SO stands.

Exactly! My post wasn't to slam women or just my wife, it was to remind us that we need to understand our teammates. One must know all the strengths and needs of their teammates. Ignoring these needs, even if they don't make sense to you can lead to a worse situation.

-Blast

*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#121026 - 01/22/08 03:16 AM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: Blast]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Blast,

So, are you sleeping out back by the bench or under the tree? At least it is warmer tonight than last week!

kmat

#121031 - 01/22/08 03:48 AM Re: Step 1, THEN step 2... [Re: kmat]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
o, are you sleeping out back by the bench or under the tree?

Bathtub in the master bathroom. Hey, at least it's dry!

-Blast

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 648 Guests and 142 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.