The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#12134 - 01/20/03 04:12 AM Re: Food for thought
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
try www.backpacker.com and do a search on the phrase "moveable feast" - their magazine has a regular monthly column on how to eat well when backpacking. Many of the recipes are even delicious when prepared at home.

#12135 - 01/20/03 04:50 AM Re: Food for thought
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Pict,

Good idea for the training (live quail). I used frozen cornish game hens for some training I put on for some Scouts last winter. Several reasons: 1) Never found a thawed critter in a winter snare 2) Safety (food borne illnesses) 3) Convenience (for me) 4) availability 5) low cost. Your technique is what I had presented to me way back when in the US Army - chickens, snakes, and rabbits. No big deal to guys who grew up hunting small game (like me), but it was astounding to me how many of my fellow students didn't have a clue... I'm sure it's more so nowadays. My 4 children (city kids) all know how to make meat from fish to snakes to birds to hogs to elk - hands-on know how. But they are unique amongst their friends in that regards.

In the USA, harvesting animals for food is primarily regulated by the state (some federal regulations for things like neotropical birds). All states that I have first-hand knowledge of do not regulate so-called "non-game" animals much if at all - it's kind of a "Paris Rule" situation rather than a "Berlin rule" situation. I've been easily able to stay on the "right side" of the laws when harvesting animals - hunting licenses for small game are relatively inexpensive.

I've eaten (legally harvested, I hastily add) many types of animals found in North America, including fish, crustacia, small non-game birds, reptiles, and mamals from mice to whales (actually, whole mice and little parts of whales, LoL). Some of the animals were tasty and some were so-so and a few were nasty. Have not eaten many bugs, and no bugs "caught in the wild" - I don't know much about that food source. I recall #3 kid eating a a grubby little fistful of earthworms once, but he was only 2 1/2 and *claims* he doesn't remember... I thought it was funny and my wife about blew a gasket at first - that toddler was FAST - then she found her sense of humor.

(Before someone asks: Paris Rule - That which is not expressly forbidden is permitted. Berlin Rule: That which is not expressly permitted is forbidden. I don't know the origins, but I've been hearing it from my Dad as long as I can remember...)

Regards,

Tom

#12136 - 01/20/03 08:42 PM Re: Food for thought
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,

In the center of my city we have a central market that sells just about any animal you could want. The quail are raised here for eggs. Rabbits cost about $1 and I've thought of using them but they are awful cute. You can also get Guinia hens (called Angolas here). They're so ugly you'd be doing them a favor.

I like the Paris/Berlin rule thing. Here we have Rio Rules - When nobody's looking nothing is expressly forbidden. Mac

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 276 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.