Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#120957 - 01/21/08 04:54 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: Bartman]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Bart--use the Search and find "overboard vest" posted 12-13 07
that was my post--sorry i don't know how to do links--

#120959 - 01/21/08 05:02 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

Bart--use the Search and find "overboard vest" posted 12-13 07
that was my post--sorry i don't know how to do links--

OVERBOARD VEST

There you go.

Re,

C. Rowe

#120975 - 01/21/08 07:53 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: Crowe]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
My PSK is my Personal Support Kit. I use it if I need it, and make sure I replace/upgrade anything used!

#120976 - 01/21/08 08:09 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: Stu]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

This thread has my creative juices flowing and has got me to working on a personal kit that is both easy to access and sealed.

I'm going to build a slightly bigger version of my 'pocket kit' in a GSI 840 waterproof container (I use the 420 for my pocket kit) and then put that into a multipocket belt pouch (I have one from Kuny's not really doing much ATM) that has some additional items like a knife and/or multipliers, a flashlight, pen or pencil, etc...stuff you might want to get at without disturbing the waterproofiness of the kit. It will be larger than pocket size but it will be small enough to be clipped to ones belt or other piece of gear. Fortunately the Kuny's pouch has a belt clip in addition to horizonal and vertical webbing loops.

I'm going to go back to the beginning and think about the big 10 items one should have and see how many of them I can comfortably fit into this package.

You never know when playing around like this results in improving what you've already got.

#121075 - 01/22/08 04:47 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: Dan_McI]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Use it, you survive because you know how to use and carry at all times the critical items you need to survive. "Sealed" Survival Kits often degrade due to moisture and to not get checked to see what needs replacing. Also many of the most useful items (Survival Knifes etc.) not fit well it a Kit but are basic Critical Survival Items.
boreal.net

#121305 - 01/24/08 12:36 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: Russ]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I don't what size your PSK is, but with most such kits, some of the items (first aid, lights, matches, tinder, etc.) obviously need to be in a watertight container and some (knife, multitool, fresnel lens, signal mirrors, etc.) do not. You can structure your kit to protect those things needing it in the small Witz containers or smaller otterboxes and carry the containers in a pouch with the other items. That way, things that need sealing are sealed and those that don't are not, but all are accessible without compromising waterproof seal.

#121309 - 01/24/08 01:20 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: saniterra]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Watertight doesn't mean sealed for emergencies only. I have a small Pelican case that is plenty watertight but is also an EDC item. If I need something from the box it's available. I keep some of my FAK (4x4's and other flat items) in a vinyl pouch that's also watertight and again, if I need it I open it up, it closes just as easy. I consider that to be easy access.

#210929 - 11/05/10 07:15 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: SwampDonkey]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Old thread wake up...

I use a combination of sealed and easy access. My most likely survival situation is in the snow when I'm snowboarding or whatever. My neck kit is primarily for fire starting. I'm constantly changing my kit. It has to be loose. Here's a rough idea of it:

#210935 - 11/05/10 11:54 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: SwampDonkey]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I do both.

LOOSE: I've got a snapped (Easier to open than a zipper or button, but more secure than without a fastener) pocket in my vest that holds a lighter, knife, mini flashlight, some paracord, a disposable rain poncho and a mini 1st aid kit. My keyring has a whistle, light and some paracord. I wear a watch with a digital compass and I always have a mini photon and harmonica around my neck. I've also got a mini-mag, some matches and a birthday candle in the Leatherman case on my belt. A little bit of overkill perhaps but it gives me piece of mind and eliminates frustration with the stuff I use regularly. The stuff that doesn't get used gets rotated and refreshed every six months or so.

SEALED: I've got a PSK in my purse and I carry that everywhere except the bush when I've got my full kit. Then the PSK goes in a cargo pocket.

PSK:
Case Logic mobile phone case + DR PSK + SAK Camper + contents of outside pocket

photobucket

PSK outside pocket:
Fox 40 whistle, keyring light, mini bic

Leatherman PSK: (gets put on belt when i leave the pavement)
Leatherman Wave, Mini Mag, key fob with candle and matches

Edited by bacpacjac (11/06/10 12:02 AM)
Edit Reason: removed a broken link

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#210954 - 11/06/10 06:32 PM Re: Personal Survival Kit. Sealed vs Easy Access? [Re: SwampDonkey]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I have both. However, sealed should always be resealable while in the field, especially living in the wet PNW.

I’d picked up one of Doug’s PSK’s shortly after they came out and about a year later when out checking for windstorm damage on fences used the wire to jerry rig rather than walking back to the barn. While I replaced it --it was time consuming finding the exact gauge and then re-rolling it neatly. So shortly after that I decided to pick up another PSK and always leave that one totally intact for an emergency. That was really a good idea as it gave me the opportunity to actually practice with the signal mirror, compass-comparing it with my regular compass and fire making tools when out and about on my small farm and leaving the other kit always totally intact for when I leave the pavement for a hike.

That’s also given me the opportunity to play around with some other containers. What didn’t work for me was trying to stuff too much into a small waterproof hard-sided container as things were going to either get wet or spill out and potentially be lost when opened and especially when trying to dig something out of the bottom. So I keep the original pouch and then usually put that into a larger but still pocket able pouch or waterproof container that is often combined with the shelter or FAK supplies. I’d caution trying to play around with reorganizing Doug’s kit too much as that kit has a whole lot of lifesaving thought put into it. Supplementing it some is fine but I can see the need for most everything else, maybe with the exception of the fishing supplies.

With all my kits, first aid kit included, I keep a small light packed near the top so it is easily accessible when the kit is first opened. So yes, there is some redundancy but light is pretty darn important if lost in the woods in the middle of the night and I‘ve always had a theory that FAK‘s should be self-contained. I’d highly recommend either the nano or Doug’s pico over the photons for two reasons-- the photons can get bumped on and the batteries would be a nightmare to change in an emergency situation out in the field, too many little parts that could get lost. The photons are great little key chain lights, however.

Along with having a psk on my person, I also always include additional shelter in my pockets such as the AMK Heatsheet or Bivy and a small FAK. I’ve supplemented Doug’s original kit with 4 Katadyn water purification tabs, a one quart freezer zip lock bag, a small Steamlight nano light and a few BCB lifeboat matches with striker. While I don’t yet have a small knife in that kit, I always carry a knife, leatherman, good flashlight, bandannas, a couple of bic lighters, whistle, and cell in my pockets.

In the summer I almost live in the Filson Tin Cruiser vest which has ample large pockets. And I just don’t buy winter outerwear unless they have has sufficient pockets that will accommodate my various kits. And sometimes that takes some shopping as clothing made for women are notorious for scrimping on quality large secure pockets.

The main thing is if you’re going to get into your emergency kits -- then you had better promptly replace the items used or damaged. I’m lucky that I have several outdoor stores in my immediate area that carry replacement supplies for both PSK and FAK. So if your back is hurting and you use the aspirin then promptly replace them. Most people don’t and that becomes the problem. I find myself getting into the FAK’s for aspirin or a band aid but not the PSK so much, as my regular gear is used rather than the PSK.

Edited by rebwa (11/06/10 06:36 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 401 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.