The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#120482 - 01/17/08 02:38 AM "Mariner" matches
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I tried searching back through the forum but couldn’t find much on this. My search tool is not turning up anything from the forum and going back through all this info manually is rather time consuming. If I drag up and old topic that was already on here I apologize but I wasn’t having much luck. I just was given an entire case of these lifeboat matches.(job perks grin) They work better than any I have ever seen and are packaged 24 to a vial. Each group of 6 matches is vacuum sealed as well as 2 striker strips (thick heavy suckers) also vacuum sealed. Stored like this, I was wondering how long these "Mariner" matches will last. There is no stamped shelf life or expiry date and I can’t find much info online either. Any knowledge on these matches is welcome. Thanks

[img][IMG]http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/zazabu531/survivalspear002.jpg[/img][/img]

#120484 - 01/17/08 02:45 AM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: Taurus]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

wow, how many are in a case? I just got mine out and they don;t have an expiration date, but I thinkt hat it would be a long time? Do you work with the military or something? wanna hook a brother uP??

*edit* ectually just found this on proforceequipment.com (the manufacturers of my matches

To Whom It May Concern: I don’t know where to direct this letter to but I figure the marketing dept. would be the best bet because you are always looking for ways to increase sales. I bought some SAS survival matches from your company back in 1984. They have never been used up until two years ago but were always in my backpack, and they worked flawlessly. My friend and I were archery hunting and he was shivering and cold. He had to answer natures call and when he came back with some wood I knew he was cold. He asked for the matches and struck one with no problem. Instant Hot Flame and presto, we now had a fire. Keep up the good work on the quality of products that you have. Semper Fi."

I hope this helps

Edited by climberslacker (01/17/08 02:48 AM)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#120486 - 01/17/08 02:47 AM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: climberslacker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
try looking up the "lifeboat" matches. they're sold by BQM and a few others, but I'm pretty sure they've been beaten to death here. Just looking up the wrong term!

#120488 - 01/17/08 03:01 AM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: Taurus]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
An entire case huh??? What would it take for you to be persuaded to sell a few to me in Regina? Private message me with the details. Thanks. smile

#120489 - 01/17/08 03:15 AM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: Roarmeister]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
An entire case huh??? What would it take for you to be persuaded to sell a few to me in Regina? Private message me with the details. Thanks. smile
hey! Me too!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#120525 - 01/17/08 02:06 PM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: MDinana]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: MDinana
I'm pretty sure they've been beaten to death here. Just looking up the wrong term!

I thought so too but my search tool wouldn't dig anything up except threads on people arguing about if they should carry matches or lighters and the like, nothing specific to the particular shelf life etc of these. I was hoping someone here had seen this particular brand/type before. Oh well

The matches are friggin awesome though. I lit one and put it in front of a fan at the highest setting, and it burned flawlessly. I lit another and tried as hard as I could to blow it out and it was futile. A third was lit and passed quickly back and forth under the spray from the shower and still stayed lit. Then for s#$%s and giggles I lit my fire place WITHOUT using any tinder. The dammed things burn like a torch for about 15 seconds. Now I need to switch them with all the matches in my other kits (hunting, truck, BOB, fishing, scuba, PSKs, military kits and bug IN supplies) I will still have plenty left to burn stuff with MUAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA!!!! crazy

Edited by Taurus (01/17/08 02:07 PM)

#120541 - 01/17/08 03:44 PM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: Taurus]
jenkinma Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA
Tarus,
Methinks you have been sharing some of the same oxygen as Blast with that last comment laugh

Those little sticks ARE pretty impressive, huh? Now you don't have to worry about them not working when you need'em, no matter how old.

What a gift!

-Matt

#120545 - 01/17/08 04:09 PM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: jenkinma]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: jenkinma
Tarus,
Methinks you have been sharing some of the same oxygen as Blast

Hey come on !! is there anyone here that doesn't enjoy burning things with giant matches?? grin

#120546 - 01/17/08 04:15 PM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: Taurus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i would say "forever"--i have plain old wood matches from
the 1950's that still light..REI sells matches somewhat like
that but about 3 times as long--if you want to light a campstove in nasty weather just toss one of those on the burner
and stand back--

#120559 - 01/17/08 05:22 PM Re: "Mariner" matches [Re: Taurus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Hey come on !! is there anyone here that doesn't enjoy burning things with giant matches??

You had me at "burning". grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.