Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#119954 - 01/14/08 12:15 AM Helping stranded motorists
Sherpadog
Unregistered

I was reading a news story where a man stopped to help a car with it's hazard lights on and ended up getting a beating instead.

I have stopped many times to help stranded motorists and to date have had no problems. I will drive past the car first and circle back for another look then judge if it is safe enough to offer help.

I always have a pad and pen in the car and I write down the stranded car make/model, color and plate number then put this paper in my sock before getting out of the car to offer. The idea of putting this info in my sock is in case I get beaten, robbed, car-jacked etc. Chances are slim the perpetrators will make me remove my socks and hopefully this hidden info will allow the police to catch the pinheads.

How do you deal with stranded motorists and what precautions do you take?

#119962 - 01/14/08 12:58 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Usually I will stay in my truck to ask them if they need me to call for assistance. If I need to get out and help then I will never turn my back on the person or persons (while helping hook up jumper cables, tow ropes etc) If someone does try something funny, then I always have my trusty folder and years of knife fighting training. A good pipe wrench never hurts to have on hand either.(lol grin) you can tell usually if a person is sketchy just by their posture, attitude, appearance etc. Every situation will be different, and lots of info can be gained by sizing up the surroundings. If something looks out of place or I get that "feeling" that something is not right then I will ask if they need me to CALL for assistance but I will not get out of my truck. Rather I will take the plate # and location, keep driving and call help for them. If it is an elderly person, or a couple with small children and such Then I tend to feel better and will usually get out to assist. It’s sad to think that we live in such a world where we may be beaten trying to assist people, but that is just how it is. Any time you decide to do so it is a risk and the best thing to do is try and use good judgment.

#119963 - 01/14/08 01:08 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: Taurus]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I hate to sound heartless, but most of the time I never stop or ask if they need help. I usually just call the police and report the disabled vehicle, its information, and that of the occupants. There's just WAY too many idiots that live in my area, and I don't want to take any crazy risks...

#119980 - 01/14/08 03:08 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I spent a lifetime (or 30+ years) helping stranded motorists as a part of my job (in addition to a lot of other stuff). Enough of them turned out to be stolen vehicles, wanted felons, etc, etc, etc, that I no longer do it. I will call in a vehicle description, location, etc, but will not stop. Call me heartless, or call me smart, call me a survivor...

#119982 - 01/14/08 03:15 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

My dad told me a story about how one day he passed by a car with it's hood up and a women trying to flag him down. He turned around and was slowing down to help when he looked over and saw a guy that was trying to hide in the bushes by the car he decided to haul butt outta there. He found a patrol car and told them what was up and where the women and the man was. What I took away from this little story is it's better to just report the stranded person cause you never know who you may be trying to help. Oh and something I learned many times since then is good deeds rarely go unpunished so be very careful out there.

#119988 - 01/14/08 03:40 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: Cyblade]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't stop to help if I was alone. I'd want at least two other people with me. One to watch my back and one to stay in my car/truck.

#120017 - 01/14/08 11:58 AM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: Paul810]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i'd go one up on that, and say I'd want at least two ARMED people with me.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#120020 - 01/14/08 12:30 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: ]
HerbG Offline

Generally, I think the need to stop has been negated by the availability of cell phones. I don't know many people who don't carry one when they travel, but I am sure there are exceptions.

#120036 - 01/14/08 03:34 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: HerbG]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I think it's situation and locations dependent. In many locations that I travel in (what most people call Northern Canada, but is really Central Canada) it would be considered ignorant not to stop and ask if you he/she/they need some help. This is especially true beyond the range of cell phones. But is is a difference between an urban and a rural mentality. There is still a world out there in which people will slow down and wave or just stop and say hello when they are passing another vehicle on a narrow gravel road. Its a way of life not yet forgotten, but often overshadowed by news reports of violence, TV program's, and looking to long at certain select areas of North America where their is a car jacking problem. It is correct that I would not stop to help someone on a south Florida highway or in East LA.
boreal.net

#120073 - 01/14/08 06:28 PM Re: Helping stranded motorists [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: DrmstrSpoodle
I hate to sound heartless, but most of the time I never stop or ask if they need help. I usually just call the police and report the disabled vehicle, its information, and that of the occupants. There's just WAY too many idiots that live in my area, and I don't want to take any crazy risks...

Second that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.