Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#119139 - 01/07/08 03:12 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ironraven]
Lance_952 Offline

Really good pack!!!!
As for the weight, I am in poor shape and did fine with a 50pound pack, ended up doing 6 miles in 90+ degree weather with way to little water (never make that mistake again)

#119143 - 01/07/08 03:57 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: smitty]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: smitty
Very nice post Hacksaw! What brand or where did you get the small zippered pencil cases?

smitty

My wife bought them at Walmart during the back to school sales. I'm sure something similar can be found a similar store...Super K, Target, Dollar Stores, etc.

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Lots of good stuff. I am a little surprised that the weight is only 51 pounds tho.

You have one piece of gear that I do not recall every seeing mentioned here before. Tape measure. I use one a lot in my everyday life, but never needed one when backpacking. What do you use it for???

You and me both! I was expecting it to come out over 60 lbs for sure with the shoulder bags. The tape measure is part of my SAR gear. I've never needed it, just supposed to have one just in case.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
You mention that you wouldn't be carrying all of it- can you give us a typical load out, in general terms?

It depends. I'll pack my bag differently each time I go out into the wild for whatever reason.

If I were to pick up the bag right now and say go on a weekend hike in the woods (the most likely scenario at this time of year considering the weather is so warm!) I'd ditch some of the gear. The first aid kit would go unless I were going to be out for more than a couple of days (my pocket kit is enough to cover me for that), I'd get rid of the extra cooking fuel and go with just one type (I don't need all of it for just a couple of days). The toiletries bag would go...I can put up with my own smell for a day or 3. I'd only take the food I needed with maybe a bit extra for an emergency situation. Leave the tape measure. Take the 'personal' stuff out of my shoulder bag (I don't need so many pens for example). For camping I'd cut back on the tools. Just a shovel, saw, a knife and a multitool.

For a SAR call out I'd try to bring it all and repack quickly once I know more about the situation. If I'm just on a hasty team I might only need the shoulder bag by itself...though I might trade out a few things first. Or just take the Scrambler pack and throw some essentials in it, leaving the bulky and heavy stuff back in my Jeep. The big first aid kit converts into a fanny pack so I might also take that by itself...or I might be carrying a SAR FAK backpack rig instead and wouldn't be able to carry my own pack. It all depends.

Because everything is so modular, and because I do silly exercises like I've done today, I know exactly what is where and can repack for any situation in little more time than it takes to fit the stuff into the bags. I like not being tied down to a single (or even just 2 or 3) layouts. I can adapt quickly.

#119144 - 01/07/08 04:00 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Lots of good stuff. I am a little surprised that the weight is only 51 pounds tho.

You have one piece of gear that I do not recall every seeing mentioned here before. Tape measure. I use one a lot in my everyday life, but never needed one when backpacking. What do you use it for???

Maybe it is for the fish that was "this big". grin

#119154 - 01/07/08 09:08 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: cedfire]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Umh, sir...can we have our survival-forum back? grin

Looks really nice. The only thing I could think of is replacing your spoon for a spork and adding some more Esbit-tabs (3 won't cut it)

I probably missed this, but rain-gear?

#119165 - 01/07/08 02:23 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: JIM]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: JIM
Umh, sir...can we have our survival-forum back? grin

Looks really nice. The only thing I could think of is replacing your spoon for a spork and adding some more Esbit-tabs (3 won't cut it)

I probably missed this, but rain-gear?

I normally carry more in the pack but I'm a little low right now...having a hard time sourcing quality tablets up here.

#119173 - 01/07/08 04:19 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
MajorMarv Offline
Stranger

Loc: Carson City, Nevada
Great report, thanks

#119181 - 01/07/08 04:42 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: MajorMarv]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

There's another item I forgot to mention (I bet it won't be the last either) as I'm looking for a good way to carry them without damage in the pack. I try to carry 3 pair of spare lenses for my sunglasses. an extra pair of tinted, an amber pair and a clear pair. I've nearly learned the hard way how dangerous it can be moving through the bush in the middle of the night without eye protection. I've had laser surgery so it's extra important for me to protect my investment...the amber/yellow lenses also help with my twilight vision (it's not as good as it was before the surgery).

As a side note I always buy the same glasses from the MEC. When I break a pair, they can be replaced for about $30 and the old pair is then salvaged for future spare parts.

#119204 - 01/07/08 06:13 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ironraven]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Wow - thanks. I need to organize my stuff like this...

teacher

#119205 - 01/07/08 06:13 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
horizonseeker Offline
Journeyman

great thread, I've been meaning to put everything together and weigh it, I need to get it down to be about 30 lbs. Here in So Cal, low temp is not a big problem so I'm hoping to get by with the minimum.

#119265 - 01/07/08 10:46 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: horizonseeker]
suzykaye Offline
Stranger

Nice Kit Hacksaw!!!

And thanks for the link to the MooseGoo! I can't wait to mix some up for my next camping trip or I may take it on the river kayaking!

I saw you had some Sharkies too! I LOVE those...take them kayaking all the time. Reminds me I need to get some to stick in my ever growing emergency food kit in the house and some to keep in my car!

Great job!

Suzy

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.