Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#119092 - 01/06/08 10:32 PM The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything!
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Well many of you asked for it so here it is. Pictures of my complete gear including EDC stuff, SAR stuff, BOB stuff, and stuff stuff.

This is the max and there is some redundancy. It's unlikely that I'd ever be carrying ALL of this stuff at once...but I like to have it all together so that I can reconfigure on the fly and just in case it's nice to have it. There will also be several differences between this set up and what I'd have in the summer time.

I did forget to take pictures of a few things. I'll try to make note of anything that slipped by the camera un-photographed.

Also, I have several other posts featuring the kits inside the pack...I won't repeat myself but I'll try to link the other posts where applicable.

Lastly, I bought a lot of this stuff recently and only came up with the ideas in the last few months so this exact setup has yet to be tested. As always advice is welcome.

I'll start with some of the smaller stuff

This is my 'eat it while it's hot' kit. It's attached to the outside of the pack so I don't have to dig to eat a previously prepared hot meal on the fly:

• Outdoor Research 1L bottle holster
  • Thermos Thermocarafe wide mouth jar
  • GSI stainless mug
  • Plastic Spoon

This is what's in the top pocket. I don't like to put too much in here because it's hard to get to and isn't waterproofed.

• Garrity high power LED headlamp
  • Tape Measure
  • Coghlans bug net hat (not needed in winter but it lives inside the hat so it doesn't get lost)
  • Outdoor Research full brim Gore Tex hat
  • waterproof maps of Edmonton and Alberta
  • 4 Chemical hand warmers
  • NOT PICTURED: Leather palm work gloves for rope work

This is what is in one of the side pockets:

• Trangia alcohol fuel bottle
  • Stainless cup (I don't really need this little cup. I just love it when one piece of gear fit's into another!)
  • lightweight cord (looks like it's time to buy more, I'm running low)
  • NOT PICTURED - Gerber Gator Exchange A Blade folding saw. It fit in the pocket so nicely I didn't notice it when I was taking everything out of the pack

This is what's in the other side pocket:

• Gerber Gorge folding shovel
  • Fuel for the canister stove
  • Gerber LMF II knife (without all the extra MOLLE crap that it comes with.

Food is very important if I'm going to be active so I keep up to 4 days worth of light weight eats in the main compartment of the big pack:

• 2 freeze dried entrées (2 servings each). The idea is to prepare it all and put 1/2 in the thermos jar for later.
  • 4 pouches of instant oatmeal
  • 1 Tube (Coghlan's reusable squeeze tube) of Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo. The recipe can be found here.
  • NOT PICTURED: Most of the time I'll have some crackers, flat bread, or tortillas to put the goo on...but for storage I don't keep any perishables in the pack.

As seen in another post, the much of the main compartment is filled with another pack which is in itself filled with more stuff. Here's what's in that pack:

• Mountain Hardwear Scrambler pack ('citron' color)
  • Orange Outdoor Research Helium dry bag
  • Gray Outdoor Research Helium dry bag
  • Big First Aid Kit (I won't get into the details here as I've already made a post about my FAK. The yellow box is a bite/sting extraction pump from Bestglide)
  • Clothing Kit (posted here. )
  • Signal Mirror (there's a little flat pocket in the pack that's the perfect size)
  • Assorted cargo webbing straps

So what's in those dry bags? I'm glad you asked!

One of the problems I've always had with big expedition style packs is that it's a huge chore to get anything in or out unless you take them off or have a friend who's got some extra inches on you. I combat this by carrying up to 2 shoulder bags.

One is the BCB Integral Survival canteen kit and the other is a small shoulder bag from the MEC.

The shoulder bag is also my EDC bag which I carry to work so it's contents are a bit all over the place:
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2105/2173226200_56620b2a58.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2222/2173263498_11e1cc90a3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2340/2172508101_ff017acc2d.jpg[/img]
  • Shelter Kit (posted here. I've packed the guy lines and pegs on the outside now to make room for a space blanket and to make getting the poncho in and out easier and less risky)
  • Kuny's 4 pocket belt pouch
    • Gerber Diesel multipliers
    • Mechanical Drafting Pencil
    • Sharpie
    • Empty pocket...believe it or not I can't find anything to put here
    • NOT PICTURED: Mini Mag Light with Lite-ize LED conversion bulb(there's a loop for one on the side of the pouch)
  • Coghlan's medium dry bag
    • Emergency TP
    • SAS Survival guide pocket book
    • Sar training log
    • Secure USB key
  • Small grid paper Moleskine
  • Battery box (8xAA)
  • Black roller ball pen
  • Cross 3 way pen (red, blue, pencil)
  • Cigar tube
  • Personal pocket kit
  • Waterproof wallet (SAR info, credentials, etc)
  • Snacks
  • Cotton Bandanna
  • Black garbage bag
  • SPF 30 lip balm
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Mini Bic lighter
  • SPF 45 sun block
  • Pocket First Aid Kit
  • NOT PICTURED: My compass...what a thing to forget to take a picture of!
  • NOT PICTURED: Maps. There is a nice flat pocket in the back where I keep any topo maps when hiking or doing SAR work.

The Canteen kit is a bit on the heavy side but that's only because it's full of water. It has everything needed to purify and/or boil water on it's own or in conjunction with what's in the pack. The picture shows the old cooking cup and cooker but functionally the same.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2024/2098070563_1cbfe5af8f.jpg[/img]
  • BCB NATO style canteen
  • BCB NATO style canteen top cup
  • BCB NATO style bottom cooking cup (PTFE coated)
  • Lid for cooking cup
  • Hanger for cooking cup (to cook over fire)
  • Cooker (can be used with alcohol stove, ESBIT fuel, or as a makeshift tealight stove)
  • Modified Vargo Titanium alcohol stove
  • Iroda jet lighter (clipped to outside)
  • MSR MIOX pen
  • 4 Hexamine fuel tablets
  • Waterproof container with strike anywhere matches

Since we're talking about everything, here's a picture of my EDC pocket and belt stuff:
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/2172653367_5c17c2085d.jpg[/img]
  • Petzl E+Lite
  • Victorinox Cybertool 34 Swiss Army Knife
  • Highgear watch (compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, etc)
  • Benchmade ERT-1 rescue tool
  • Blackberry Pearl 8130 (The GPS comes in handy sometimes)
  • Wallet
  • Gerber Infinity Ultra flashlight
  • Gerber EAB pocket folder (and money clip)
  • Ronson Jet Lite butane lighter
  • Micro magnet compass
  • Gerber S30V Freeman Hunting knife
  • NOT PICTURED: Kershaw Cyclone folding knife (It's not likely I'd carry both the folder and the belt knife anyhow)

For me, my jacket is an important piece of gear...especially in the winter.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/2173318318_98b2804f3c.jpg[/img]
  • Columbia Vertex Shell (waterproof/breathable)
  • Rite in the Rain notepad
  • Fisher Space Pen
  • Earbuds/handsfree for Blackberry
  • 2x chemical hand warmers
  • Helly Hansen polypro glove liners
  • MEC cycling gloves (aka: Ninja Turtle Gloves)
  • Mec lightweight toque
  • MEC fleece head over
  • NOT PICTURED: Balaclava (not often used...hence the reason I didn't know where it was at for the picture.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2367/2173358558_d494b466ef.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/2172546951_f61f835ed1.jpg[/img]
Here it is all splayed out on my couch. There are several items not mentioned above which are shown here
  • Uniden GMRS radio (optional. On shoulder strap pouch)
  • Garmin GPS 12 (std. SAR GPS for our group. On shoulder strap pouch)
  • Gerber brush machete (optional)
  • 2 telescopic trekking poles (each has button compass and thermometer on wrist strap. Each has threaded head under the knob for use as a camera mono-pod)
  • Telescopic Aluminum Snow Shovel (optional)
  • Princeton Tec submersible emergency strobe (on pack. I'm working on a quick release system that will attach the strobe to 10 or more feet of light cord. The strobe floats...I'm not going to count on the pack floating)
  • Cycle Planet red LED flasher (on pack)
  • 2 light weight aluminum carabiners
  • Snow baskets for trekking poles (on back. Attached with split rings and an accessory 'biner)
  • 1 extra MEC accessory carabiner
  • Sleep System (posted on here. )
  • Thermarest Ridge Rest sleeping pad
  • NOT PICTURED: Large stainless Thermos bottle. I just came up with the idea to carry one to keep water from freezing (as can be seen in a recent post) and I haven't decided where to keep it yet.
  • NOT PICTURED: Source 1.5L water bladder. This usually gets tossed in at the last second with the hose hanging out wherever and once again in the last seconds I forgot about it. For winter I wouldn't use this and will be using the (not pictured) thermos for keeping water from freezing while I carry it.

Here's a picture of everything packed up ready to go. the shovel would attach to the axe loop on the right side of the pack...as could one of the poles if only one were needed. small bungees hold the sleep pad onto the pack. I may buy a stuff sack for the pad just to make things a little easier to reconfigure.
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2102/2172611587_389eacd05d.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2039/2172589435_b434508998.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2390/2172779611_739ee5b069.jpg[/img]
And here I am wearing the pack. Since I put it on to pose while my wife took the pictures, I weighed myself. This was the real scary part since I had no idea how much ALL of this stuff was going to weigh once put together. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it comes in at 51.5 lbs. While that's too heavy IMO for most activities and definately too much for anything long range, it's manageable...especially since for most activities I'm not going to have ALL this gear, just a selection of it. I forgot to include the big Thermos full of water and that would add some weight as well but not too much. I weigh about 230 and consider myself to be in fair shape so I could do 50 lbs if I had to...I wouldn't win any races but I'd get there. There's also the fact that this is winter gear. In summer several pounds would be shed at least.

I hope that all of you still reading enjoyed it...it took me all day to make this one post! smile

#119095 - 01/06/08 10:56 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice Post Hacksaw!

You have some really neat equipment and I like you "kit within a kit" concept.

Thanks,

Mike

#119096 - 01/06/08 10:57 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Jeff Offline

WOW. You're impressively organized.

Thanks for taking the time to post your equipment.

It is helpful for people to see and compare it to what they have.

Jeff

#119099 - 01/06/08 11:15 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need a "we're not worthy!" smiley face.

Very good job.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119104 - 01/06/08 11:44 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: Blast]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Impressive!

#119105 - 01/06/08 11:48 PM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Very nice post Hacksaw! What brand or where did you get the small zippered pencil cases?

smitty

#119114 - 01/07/08 01:01 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Lots of good stuff. I am a little surprised that the weight is only 51 pounds tho.

You have one piece of gear that I do not recall every seeing mentioned here before. Tape measure. I use one a lot in my everyday life, but never needed one when backpacking. What do you use it for???

#119120 - 01/07/08 01:36 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
jasond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
You have an awesome settup there. Looks like some great gear. Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos it's interesting to see how other people combine all their "stuff"

#119123 - 01/07/08 01:52 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I wouldn't win any races but I'd get there.

Exactly. There's nothing wrong with stopping to rest once in a while. As long as you have all your gear, you can set up for the night just about anywhere.

Those Gerber folding shovels are awesome. I have one. I was surprised by how compact it is.

#119137 - 01/07/08 03:03 AM Re: The BIG one. Pictures and lists of everything! [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I really like your organization. I know there has already been a request as to where you go the pencil cases.

You mention that you wouldn't be carrying all of it- can you give us a typical load out, in general terms?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 555 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.