Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1185 - 08/05/01 07:40 AM handheld vhf for kayaking
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all. I'm looking for experience with handheld vhf radios. Some of the new models look promising, but also are lean on reviews. I'd like something submersible, small, and easy to use in kayaking. So far, I've found the Simrad AXIS 50, and Standard Horizon HX460.<br><br><br>

#1186 - 08/06/01 04:37 AM Re: handheld vhf for kayaking
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Welcome Raye, I am also looking into VHF handhelds,both Marine and Aviation.I haven't drawn any product conclusions yet, but do you know the features you need? Your handheld will have limited range,@ 5 miles without an accessory external antannae. The battery life can be critical. Look for units that can drop from the 6 watt maximum to 1 watt, or come with various booster packs. Your most important channels are 16, for emergency which is monitored by the U.S.C.G. ( you will most likely be redirected to 22 for further communication after initial contact) and 9, which is the 'business channel' and of course the weather channels.Handhelds do not have DSC, which as of now is not monitored and requires a registration number . A small point, examine the lanyard system. Is it STURDY and could you connect it with a flotation system to prevent loss? thats my knowledge so far. Our Mentor and website creator is off for another Month to Australia giving a lecture. When he returns Doug can probably provide better information.Good Luck. <br><br>

#1187 - 08/06/01 05:46 PM wind up radio
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure if its water proof... but thats what the big ziplock baggie is for :)<br>http://windupradio.com/freeplay3.htm<br>check it out sounds pretty neat.<br><br>

#1188 - 08/06/01 09:02 PM Re: wind up radio
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are several of these radios on the market. They are only receivers and quality varies considerably. They were a hot item after the Earthquake here.They're ok for an urban kit to receive updates, but vulnerable to any abuse. <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chris Kavanaugh on 08/06/01 02:03 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#1189 - 08/16/01 12:12 AM Re: handheld vhf for kayaking
PeterR Offline

Loc: Wollongong [ 34.25S 150.52E ] ...
Raye, I have fairly wide experience with the use of handheld VHF radios in a kayak. Your best source for US based experience is a moderated list called PaddleWise which I can strongly recommend. If you subscribe to PaddleWise you will find an archive with lots of advice and anecdotal use of various brands of radios by US based kayakers. I can summarise them somewhat by suggesting no-one has really had bad experiences with the major brands, ie , ICOM, STANDARD, UNIDEN, GARMIN, RAYTHEON. Most people seem to use the Standard. But all experienced users will keep their radios in a waterproof pouch, no matter what the manufacturer promises. The problems are usually related to the waterproofness of the battery compartment. So a rule of thumb would be to look at how the controls of your radio will operate through a bag. That will narrow your field down somewhat! In other words, the ideal is a front panel push button operated radio, with controls large enough to be manipulated with cold and/or gloved fingers through a waterproof bag. The latest models are good in this respect. I especially like the GARMIN for its layout. As far as transmit/receive operation goes, there is very little between them. Remember, VHF operates by antenna line of sight, so transmit power is not really a crucial issue. All handhelds to my knowledge have either 5w HI or 1w LOW switchable TX. And in most realistic situations 1w will get through as well as 5w. All models have a 16/9 emergency 'hotkey' which will take you straight to those channels. As far as battery types go, the new technology, no memory NiCAD type seem to be as long lasting as the alkaline AAs. And most units have the usual scan facility which enables you to program which channels you want to monitor. My own unit is a Uniden, which is unique to the Australian market, but which contains what is called Seaphone. This enables me to link by radio to the landline telephonic system. You may have this system in some parts of the States. It is a nice feature, mainly found in the fixed 12volt VHF sets used on yachts etc. Hope this is helpful. PaddleWise is easily found through a search engine. Regards, PeterR, Wollongong, Australia. <br> <br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 333 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.