Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#118830 - 01/04/08 05:17 PM Bandana Uses During Survival Situations
Jeff Offline

The garbage bag uses thread came up with 38 uses. People came up with ones that I would have never thought of.
We ALL benefit from sharing this type of knoweledge.
I will post the 38 results shortly.

Now let's share all of the possible surival situation uses for the standard bandana.

I'll get the list started.

-Signal

-water filter

-neck gaiter for cold weather

-tourniquet

-pot holder for cooking

-collection basket for wild edibles

-Sunblocker for neck

Let's hear yours.

Edited by Jeff (01/04/08 05:18 PM)

Jeff

#118831 - 01/04/08 05:24 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: Jeff]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Makeshift dust mask.

To keep the sun off my bald spots, if I do not have a hat.

#118832 - 01/04/08 05:25 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: Dan_McI]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Bandage

blowing your nose... grin

#118833 - 01/04/08 05:30 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: JIM]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Evaporative cooler for hot weather. Soak in cold creek water and tie on head. Repeat as necessary.

#118834 - 01/04/08 05:30 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: Jeff]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Last ditch wound cover.

#118836 - 01/04/08 05:41 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: Jeff]
pworks36 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
Let's add

sling (first-aid)
sling (as in David and Goliath)
sling for a staff sling
blackjack/cosh (must add weight)
compress
cordage (either destroy by making into strips or using as is)
washcloth/towel (little small for a towel, but for critcal areas)
sweatband
waistpack pouch
hobo pack pouch (on the end of a pole)
padding for that hotspot
pillow cover (admittedly not all the way around a regular pillow)

I'll try to think of more...

#118839 - 01/04/08 06:14 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: pworks36]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

as a super cool bandanna, al be it by modding it a little (see the ultimate bandanna )

also as a purse

*I actually made this for my cousin whose a girl

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#118840 - 01/04/08 06:16 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: pworks36]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Cleaning patches for firearm
Bullet patches for muzzleloader
Gun wipe cloth (add oil)
Char Cloth
Toilet Paper

Mike

#118842 - 01/04/08 06:19 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: SwampDonkey]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

oh yeah also (some of these have been mentioned, as i did not make this, i found it)

*To blow your nose*as a head cover*western style for dust and grit*wet, for escape from a smoky fire*headband*sweat rag*under cap for sun protection (aka Foreign Legion sun shade*tourniquet*sling*mark a trail*signal flag*diaper*washcloth*dish rag*napkin*eye patch*bind a splint*ice pack*pre-water filter*pot holder*cover food to keep bugs away*coffee filter*emergency toilet paper*sink drain plug*hand wrap for jar and bottle opening*hobo lunch box*hang flashlight from tent ceiling*neckerchief*tie up a pony tail*shine shoes*clean glasses and other lens*wrap a gift*canine bandana*table cloth*feminine hygiene*ear muffs*wrap up tiny or rattling pieces and parts*1st aid bandage*mark luggage at airport*blindfold for sleeping or surprises*temporary gas cap*wrap breakables in backpack or luggage*flag for lumber or building materials that are too long for trailer or truck*pillow cover*all terrain sitting cloth*waving down a taxi*wipe away a tear*distract a charging animal*disguise*whisk away pestering insects*muffle a sneeze*pad shoulders for carrying a load*pad a tumpline*self defense with a rock in it*bind a stone and toss a line over a limb*place mat*hot/cold compress*scarf/ascot*as a gag to shut someone up*bikini top/bra*watch fob*belt*bookmark*bib*salad spinner*window shade*whip*garrote*handcuffs*parachute for toy soldier*dog mussel*chafe protector*show your gang colors*flag football*lamp shade*alarm clock muffler*to show someone what paisley is*patch material for muzzleloaders*drink cozy*sunglasses retainer*

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#118876 - 01/04/08 09:56 PM Re: Bandana Uses During Survival Situations [Re: climberslacker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

The simple, reliable, adaptable bandanna is possibly the single most useful piece of kit available. It still surprises me when a man doesn't have a handkerchief, or bandanna, and a pocket knife.

Don't discount the effectiveness of a bandanna:

I have had people scoff at the usefulness of a bandanna as bandage. The main objection was 'it isn't sterile'. OK, fair enough. If you have a sterile bandage use it. But don't fail to use a bandanna because it isn't sterile. As pointed out to me by a expert in disease control: 'Sterility is a myth. Items are more or less clean but nothing is ever perfectly sterile'.

For first-aid use laundered and relatively clean, and ready for immediate use, is far better than 'sterile' and back at the house. Use what you have on hand.

Or a bandanna as a water filter. Again, if you have a better purpose-built unit then use it. But if all you have is a bandanna use what you have. It could save your health, if not your life:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=cloth-filters-combat-chol

Water poured through four layers of cheap cotton cloth prevented half of the cases of cholera. Seeing as that exposure to contaminated water is possible without drinking, bypassing the filtration effort, it would seem even such a simple filter prevents something over half of the cases.

Never underestimate what a simple piece of cloth can do for you. Keep one handy.

Handkerchiefs are a bit smaller than bandannas. Usually about 16" square. They also have a tighter weave and fold up tighter. So even in dress pants you can always have a bit of cloth handy. A silk handkerchief is both sensual and chivalrous when offered to, or used on, a lady.

Bandannas are usually about 20" square and made of a looser cotton weave. Still compact enough to ride easily in the hip pocket of jeans.

The big brother of the bandanna is the triangular bandage. Typically about 36" square of rough cotton muslin.

http://www.brooksidepress.org/Products/O...ularBandage.htm

One or two of these, pre-folded and inside its plastic to keep it dry as you slog through the swamp, fit inside BDU pockets and can be used as a good start in first-aid. As demonstrated in the link uses, in first-aid use alone, is limited only by imagination. The OD green ones in the medic's bag were the preferred 'dew-rag' in more than one conflict. They are still doing that job in desert tan.

IMHO every kit should have a couple of triangular bandages. No first-aid kit is complete without at least one.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.