The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#117040 - 12/22/07 01:35 AM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: bws48]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
That is not exactly true, in the early days both used pencils. Then when fisher came up with a "space" pen both space programs used space pens. Much safer than having a pencil lead break off. Having a conductive bit of trash float in behind a panel with all sorts of electrical connections in it is not a good thing.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

#117089 - 12/22/07 02:56 AM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: RayW]
BigAssDiesel Offline
Journeyman

Don't buy Write in the Rain pens. They stink. I had one that lasted less then a week this summer at boot camp. Their notebooks and paper are the bomb though, highly recommended!

#117132 - 12/22/07 11:28 AM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: bws48]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I like the Red Army (or was it Adolph Hitler?) saying that can be the best approach to self defense.

"quantity has a quality all of it's own".

Never mind getting the black belt; just turn up with 20 pals :-).
The Sock

#117684 - 12/27/07 06:12 PM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: fespo276]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
does yours have the removable clip? I ordered some bullets and they had removable clips.

#117685 - 12/27/07 06:20 PM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: yeti]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
I guess it is clear from the above msg that I went with the space bullets. The shape and closed size made it most attractive. I'm going to try it with the clip for a while...then without. I tried to get them locally but everyone was sold out. Luckily, I found a shipper who was ready to send and got them in time.

Thanks all for the input. It was truly appreciated.

BTW, I didn't go with rite In Rain as I've had some poor results. I didn't try any of those with rubber grips/parts/etc. Over time they will come off and why replace when I don't have to? In the short-term they sound like they would be a little better though. As for the longer pens, or those with more classic shapes, I wanted something I'd be likely to carry, and full-sized pens (when closed) didn't really work for me in any of my experiments. I also found them more likely to catch on stuff, where ther shape of the bullet might not creaqte the same issues.

#117724 - 12/27/07 11:06 PM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: bws48]
ki7he Offline

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
another alternative is the Soviet "space pen"

aka, a pencil wink

For those who might not have heard the (probably untrue) story, in the 1960's space race, it was discovered that the pens of that time would not write in weightless conditions. The NASA approach was to spend $250,000 in 1960's bucks to develop the "space pen." The Russian approach was decided by a General who said "F*** it, use a pencil!"

There actually is a survival lesson in this, resulting in my signature line, attributed to Soviet Admiral Gorshkov, but he probably heard it from somewhere himself... wink

You're right, it is untrue. People like to hear about the government spending outragous amounts of money on ordinary items but most of those stories just never happened.

Originally both NASA and the Russian space agency used mechanical pencils. The Fisher pen company developed the "space pen" independantly and asked NASA and the Russians to try them out. They both used them and paid $2.39 per pen.

Here's a good account:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa004&articleID=9CF01C5C-E7F2-99DF-3EEFFCD06138AEC4

#117737 - 12/28/07 12:10 AM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: ki7he]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Interesting. I'm just wondering why NASA had their space pens for $3.98 (before the "in bulk" discount), but we have to pay "the low, low price of $50.00"?

Also, why not a pencil? We don't have to chase the chipping graphite particles flying away and straight into our cell phones circuitry... smile

Personally, I prefer a sharp point permanent marker.

Edited by Alex (12/28/07 12:18 AM)

#117766 - 12/28/07 04:58 AM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: Be_Prepared]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Be_Prepared
another alternative is the Soviet "space pen"

aka, a pencil wink

The ultimate survival 'pen' is still a pencil. Little known fact: A pencil, as long as it is gently sharpened, will write more pages and last longer than any pen. Pencils are usually lighter, they never freeze or leak, they are still usable if broken and they provide a ready supply of tinder if your in a bind.

I have also used the graphite in a pencil to keep a firearm going after it gummed up from dust and sand. I removed the bolt assembly, wiped everything dry and spent some time rubbing the side of the pencil point on the pieces until they developed a shine from the graphite. Put back in the mechanism worked smoothly and shrugged off the dirt.

That said, I usually have a pen in my pack. But I always have a pencil. Don't look down on the simple reliability of a pencil.

#118193 - 12/31/07 12:38 AM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: Art_in_FL]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
I agree with SwampDonkey. Find a pen you like for weight, style, size, etc., then just get the Space Pen Refills.

I like a thick, heavy pen (easier to write with when using a wrist brace). I've received several as company promo gifts. After I'd been embarrassed enough when it stopped writing on paper with hand oils, I got a Space Pen refill and have never looked back. Much cheaper than the full pen, especially when I've lost them.

Space Pen has refills for Fisher, Cross and other brands.
http://www.spacepen.com/Public/Products/PenRefills/

Tirec

#118277 - 12/31/07 07:29 PM Re: help from the space pen folks... [Re: yeti]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

rei has a nice model...all black about $10

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 256 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.