Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
This is a classic problem with 'prepers'.

Often a result of a failure to define and make concrete the situation, plans and/or goals.

Leave any or all of those open ended and your setting yourself up to be always needing more and still always coming up short.

Reason is that if you define your needs and desires as prepared for 'anything' and the required duration as 'forever' you are sliding down a hole. Using that definition if you go to buy even something simple how much do you buy? With duration defined as from 'now to the end of time', there are always the kids and grand kids to think about, you could never have 'enough'.

Most people have at least something in every category but I have seen people who have huge amounts of money invested and they still have gaping holes in their kit. Guns and knives are pretty commonly waaay over invested. Lots of guns and knives aren't necessarily a bad thing. Not as long as you have something approximating equal depth across the line.

Your not going to get by effectively overly prepared in one area and light, or completely unprepared, in another. Survival is a package deal. Like a chain your limited by the weakest link.

I recommend people start small and work their way up. Start simple. Limited goals and objectives. A three day kit is a good start. Cover all of your bases for three days given a set situation. Aspirin to toilet paper. Leave no need unprepared for.

Once a three day kit is mastered multiply it to cover longer periods of time. Start to cover slightly more unusual and extreme situations. Go as far as you wish and stop when you feel satisfied. But always work to a plan and known scenario and toward known, well defined and limited goals.

When you reach a goal stop to savor the feeling. Celebrate. And stop buying. At least until you work out another complete plan and list of required supplies and materials. Never buy items piecemeal. Only buy as part of a plan working toward a known and well defined goal.

That's the ideal and IMHO the way to go. I don't too often reach this ideal in all particulars. It just isn't in the nature of humanity to do so very often. But that doesn't mean that I don't get close and, of course, I keep trying as time, disposition and resources allow.

Over time my ideal time horizon has shrunk. Age, experience, confidence that I can adapt and persevere, and some understanding that in the end survival is both not enough and always a temporary reprieve has mellowed my approach and allowed me to relax a bit more.

Well said.

Bona Na Croin