The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117779 - 12/28/07 07:07 AM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: Stretch]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
This is a survival site not a bushcraft site. I get the impression that Moras are perfectly adequate for anything you'll need in a camping trip but might not be up to cutting your way out of a crashed aircraft or prising open a jammed lift door. Decide which you need. The gear guide on this site recommends knives including the Moras.
The Sock

#117830 - 12/28/07 04:33 PM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: TheSock]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Well, one of the nicest things about the Moras is the price and the fact that they're lightweight. After using a heavier-duty blade to cut or pry in an unorthodox manner, if it were broken or sufficiently dulled, I'd be happy to have the Mora....or any other sharp knife. I agree they're not for chopping or prying.

#117831 - 12/28/07 04:36 PM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: TheSock]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Knife 'robustness' is much like tie widths. We have seen thin cutting stock like Moras to prybars like my old Adams Mark 4. Present thickness is somewhere in the middle.In survival we look for greater robustness because the knife may indeed be called upon to perform above and beyond it's dedicated purpose. That said, A few years past I indeed took my Adams and locked myself into an abandoned old trailor, or caravan.It took me the better part of a day to hack my way through marine plywood, insulation, aluminum and wiring. My hand from the rather unfriendly grips was a mass of blisters. I next picked a fight with a 4' palmtree and chopped it to pieces. Now, this is a 1/4" thick, relatively soft Rockwell tool. Finally I dug out a native onion growing in the irrigation gully of the orchard. I bent the blade. I couldn't cut myself falling on it roman like let alone basic survival tasks after this workout. It took a mil file to give even a working edge on what was left.It now had a distinct family resemblance to a anorexic kukhri. The final cut is this: Use your knife carefully and if possible in extremis fabricate a dedicated tool for non knife jobs. If your knife, and your hands are trashed doing vigorous work forget about fuzz sticks, a fire and cuppa tea. Thats one thing the people at Adams probably make right!I dug a hole for it and buried with full military honours, on the batlefield where it fell.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (12/28/07 04:39 PM)

#117837 - 12/28/07 06:07 PM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I have a Mora that has been with me for over 10 years. Keeps a sharp edge and is very utilitarian, not expensive at all.
Been thinking about picking up a couple of extras since the price is right.
Not the best/most expensive knife I own but one I use frequently.

#117852 - 12/28/07 07:29 PM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have a few Mora's and use them frequently, I particularly like the Clipper but hate the plstic sheath.

I used the Clipper (stainless version) to skin/butcher a deer this fall and now keep one in my kitchen as a utility/paring knife.

I have a carbon steel Clipper that I can get a little sharper that the stainless version but rusting is a pain in the kitchen enviroment.

Mike

#117881 - 12/28/07 11:06 PM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: SwampDonkey]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think a assessment all knife people can agree on is this: Moras are an excellent introductory knife for the gross majority of people opening up their Hannuka and Christmas presents with car keys, preparing a basic kit on a budget or attending an already costly survival school. In fact, Buying two and using one to learn proper knife sharpening, and even Moras can be improved with initial reprofiling, is still cheap. We all had the initial Walter Mitty need for Excaliber when starting out. A Mora is a good deal when your trying to assemble even a basic kit within budget.That many survival instructors such as Mors Kochanski use the Mora is not so much a recommendation as reflection of their use of additional tools, in Mors' case the axe.Scandinavian knives reflect a history of development in a specific region, arboreal sub arctic with smaller, softer trees and a ready food base of; reindeer, fish and birds. Again, Moras have their place and time. Mine are still treasured adjuncts to a more robust Fallkniven F 1.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (12/28/07 11:07 PM)

#118244 - 12/31/07 02:51 PM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: SwampDonkey]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
For people in Canada, the only source I found from the internet is http://www.karamat.com/supplies.html

There is an interesting note about the Clipper which has a Progrip handle versus the conventional polypropylene handle.

I don't like to use Mora knives in the kitchen because you're normally working on a flat surface (the cutting board) and although they don't have much of a guard, their handles still exceed beyond the cutting edge while kitchen knives have room to lay flat the cutting edge while allowing room for holding the handle... (I hope you get what I mean)

But I found Mora knives to be perfect for peeling pumpkins. Pumpkins are similar to wood. The saber ground on Mora knives allow them to peel more easily and shave wood, while micro bevels on kitchen and other knives act like a ski and makes the knife slip.

Frankie

#142991 - 08/06/08 02:55 AM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: TheSock]
gitarmac Offline

Originally Posted By: TheSock
This is a survival site not a bushcraft site. I get the impression that Moras are perfectly adequate for anything you'll need in a camping trip but might not be up to cutting your way out of a crashed aircraft or prising open a jammed lift door. Decide which you need. The gear guide on this site recommends knives including the Moras.
The Sock

If I wear going to pry out of an aircraft and such I would not use a knife. After you get out of that crashed aircraft you might need to make a fire or shelter, a knife would be good for that. It could cut bait too. Or cut your own arm off if you are pinned under that aircraft.

#142992 - 08/06/08 03:29 AM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: gitarmac]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
I have serveal Mora knives also, all have their place, but one I am never caught without in the field is a Gerber Big Rock.
Straight edge....26 bucks from Walmart, Serated edge...33 bucks from campmor.

#143000 - 08/06/08 06:24 AM Re: Inexpensive Fixed Blade [Re: gitarmac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have never owned a Mora. Now my Gerber BMF, now thats a knife to make Bowie proud. To damned heavy though for anything but Grunt work.

I actually bought the Ritter folding knife last year. Love it. Put it through some tough chores and works like a champ. Holds my hand well, solid locking mechanism. Its my EDC knife.

I have a pretty extensive knife collection and never appreciated cheap. Cheap is usually flimsy, breakable, dull. Like I said never owned a Mora, heard good things, but trust study, thick blades over cost. I'd take a buffalo skinner over a Mora, though its 10-20x the cost.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 194 Guests and 73 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.