Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#117228 - 12/23/07 03:04 AM holiday big meal
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Someone remembered I can cook. So, I figured I'd ask what ya'll are doing, and when (Christmas, Eve, Boxing Day, already had it)?

For me, Christmas Eve I'm making lasagna, a heavy one with salami, pepperoni, ricotta, and mozzarella. Chef salad, steamed broccoli/cauliflower, and rolls- the dough is in the freezer now. Fortunately, my brother does desserts better than I do, so he's making pies.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#117232 - 12/23/07 03:53 AM Re: holiday big meal [Re: ironraven]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
We tend to do deli platters for Christmas. Everyone opens presents together and then eats when they're hungry or bored playing with their new toys. Cold cuts and cheese, pickles, olives, fresh vegetables, crackers. Everyone does a little work and can eat when they want. No-one cooks all day or gets stuck with a huge pile of dishes and misses out on that first day playing with new toys. And lots of pie, like enough for one each in a variety of fillings.

Thanksgiving we have a huge meal, Christmas we browse.

#117254 - 12/23/07 01:48 PM Re: holiday big meal [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Since it will probably just be the two of us, out in the wilds of Arizona, we will probably have what we had on TG...a big hunk of red meat on the BBQ, with a baked spud and some veggies. Maybe a nice green salad too...

#117255 - 12/23/07 01:55 PM Re: holiday big meal [Re: OldBaldGuy]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Christmas dinner this year will be only my Darling Bride and I. More than likely it will be a quiet thing, nothing too special. Darling Bride is pretty much down in the dumps since our oldest son is moving from South Jersey to Tampa with our only 2 grandchildren in tow.
2008 will include multiple trips to Tampa.

Have a happy and safe holiday evryone.

Edited by 91gdub (12/23/07 01:55 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#117260 - 12/23/07 02:18 PM Re: holiday big meal [Re: 91gdub]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wild game prepared in a number of ways, heaps of potatoes, corn, beans, and hopefully some of DW's freshly made oat bread. Oh, and a nice port.

Merry Christmas!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#117269 - 12/23/07 03:27 PM Re: holiday big meal [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
On xmas eve, we are going to a brazilian steak house with a big crowd.

On xmas, we are doing a small lunch/dinner for us (just wife and myself) and another couple. Just a basic turkey, homemade green bean cassrole (had my first one last month - how can something so basic be soooo good?), corn bread stuffing, and 4 types of desserts (dessert is my favorite part of EVERY meal).

Rest of week will be filled with being at work or at the beach with some sort of umbrella drink in my hand.

#117282 - 12/23/07 05:29 PM Re: holiday big meal [Re: Kris]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Our Christmas celebration is a series of meals, starting with Christmas eve morning. I will be making a mountain man breakfast in one of my dutch ovens, composed of fried shredded taters, onions, smoked kielbasa sausage, diced Hatch green chiles, eggs and shredded sharp cheddar cheese, with salsa on the side. This will be served with fresh buttermilk biscuits and country sausage gravy.

Lunch will be skipped, mainly because after breakfast no one needs to eat again for at least 6 hours. Dinner will be Venison/Jalapeno/cheddar summer sausage, smoked cheddar, crackers, veggies and dip. Dessert will be hot chocolate with cookies, peppermint bark, and tangerines.

Christmas morning will be an assortment of pastries and fruit, coffee cake in one of my dutch ovens, and of course coffee. Snacks will be out most of the day (remnants of the cheese, sausage, veggies, cookies, dips; whatever hasn't been eaten previously). Christmas dinner will be a 10 lb rib roast cooked medium rare, mashed potatoes, beef/onion/wine gravy, home made buttermilk yeast rolls, baked butternut squash rounds, and lettuce and tomato wedges with roquefort dressing. This year I am having to also grill some sockeye salmon for one of our guests who doesn't eat beef anymore.

Dessert for Christmas night will be Christmas spiced apple cake with bourbon candied pears and bourbon sauce drizzled over the top.

That enough for ya?

#117284 - 12/23/07 06:17 PM Re: holiday big meal [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I will be making breakfast for the DW, college DD (if she shows up that early), and my DS. I usually making omelettes and/or Freedom Toast or something along those lines.

We will start the unwrapping of the gifts precisely at 10 a.m. (it is the only time I have any control the whole year). We stop at 10:10 am to sing happy birthday to our DD. We then resume the festivities.

Lunch will be a commerical honey-baked ham 'cuz that is what my DD wants this year. You see, since it is her birthday she gets to decide what is for lunch/dinner.

All in all it is a pretty sedate affair. Nice though.

Edited by MoBOB (12/23/07 06:17 PM)

#117289 - 12/23/07 07:34 PM Re: holiday big meal [Re: benjammin]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
"Our Christmas celebration is a series of meals, starting with Christmas eve morning. I will be making a mountain man breakfast in one of my dutch ovens, composed of fried shredded taters, onions, smoked kielbasa sausage, diced Hatch green chiles, eggs and shredded sharp cheddar cheese, with salsa on the side. This will be served with fresh buttermilk biscuits and country sausage gravy."

Care to share that recipe for mountain breakfast? Sounds good.

Edited by 91gdub (12/23/07 07:35 PM)

#117297 - 12/23/07 08:26 PM Re: holiday big meal [Re: ironraven]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
We'll do a traditional (for us) standing rib roast, Yorkshire pudding, veggies and pies. Be my Mom's 86th Christmas so I'll probably be doing some of the cooking. DD1 will be joining us, DD2 will be having Christmas in Alaska (last year it was Hawaii).

Hope y'all have a warm, safe, dry and happy holiday.

PS. Special round of cheer for all of you wearing a uniform be it military, LEO, EMT, nurse and all of you who make mine and my family's life free, safe, and secure. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.