Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#117032 - 12/22/07 01:01 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Microage97]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
my my, how did we ever survive the 1918 pandemic? (my Dad did, as an infant he got that flu and lived into his middle 80's)

The harsh reality is that however tragic and however many may die in a bird flu pandemic, it is unlikely to end the world as we know it. Yes, bad for you or your family if you get it, but in the scheme of things, a bump in the road.

I'm more likely to be killed during my 7 mile commute to work by the good folks talking on their cell-phones while diving then by the bird flu: forced off the road twice in the last year! mad

#117034 - 12/22/07 01:08 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Blast]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
Anyway, even if it did transmit directly to people, it could also mutate right out of it, too, couldn't it?

I'd like to clarify this particular issue. Out of all the gadzillions of virii in all the birds/pigs/people, only ONE of the viruses would have to mutant into the direct-transmission form for this flu to begin spreading from person to person. But then ALL of its offspring would need to mutate back into a non-transmittable form.

Baically, it's like the cliche says, it's easier to get into truoble than out of it.

That being said, bird flu is still way down my fear-list.

-Blast

Pay attention people this man knows his S#!#.

#117047 - 12/22/07 01:47 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It doesn't even have to be an avian flu- a normal, "human" strain could mutate and turn into a monster. Stuff happens, and the more I learn about virii the more I worry. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#117053 - 12/22/07 02:01 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
t doesn't even have to be an avian flu- a normal, "human" strain could mutate and turn into a monster.

That is very true. The most likely scenerio is that someone will be infected with strains of both normal and avian flu at the same time. In such a situation the two viruses could swap some DNA and make an offspring with all the fatal aspects of bird flu with the quick person-to-person transmission of regular flu.

That's when things turn ugly fast.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#117115 - 12/22/07 03:53 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Great, just great. In that case, I guess I got my flu shot for nothing....

#117116 - 12/22/07 04:00 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: OldBaldGuy]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
No, it is worth something.

A virus isn't really alive, it a machine made of biological material. Think of them like Legos. Blocks from set A can interact with those from set B easily, if they are in the same container. Because of this modularity, they can mutate faster than most things do, much faster than I would have once given them credit for.

The trick is, (a) getting both strains in you, and (b) having your body not knock out any mutant versions, and (c) having a mutated strain that actually amounts to something.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#117134 - 12/22/07 11:48 AM Re: U.S. still unprepared for disaster: report [Re: ironraven]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
It is possible and probably more like in our current day over crowded world. Kinda like when there is an over population in the animal world, some kind of disease will raise up and wipe most out ect. Oh yes Viruses are creepy little monsters.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 272 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.