Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#116784 - 12/20/07 07:56 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: garland]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: garland
You know, in reading this article I think they did fairly well, all things considered. I mean basically if you look at it they left the car to look for a tree and got lost in the woods - which many of you should know is NOT had to do. Unless you check behind you from time to time, it's downright impossible to navigate in a pine forest. EVERYTHING looks the same.

Ben East was a writer for Outdoor Life from the '40s to the '70s and reported on many survival stories. One of his favorite maxims was, "Never step off a road or a marked trail unless you're ready to spend the night in the woods."

#116845 - 12/21/07 03:09 AM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: brandtb]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Saw an intrview tonight on the news. Daughter said next year the tree was going to be plastic.

They were even luckier. From what I heard on the news was the flight that spotted them was going to be the last flight.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#116852 - 12/21/07 03:52 AM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: Raspy]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Okay, this brings up and interesting question...when do you start walking out? James Kim decided to walk out after several days and it killed him but his family stayed put and was later saved (although wikipedia says they were seen by a helicopter pilot while walking down a remote road). While this family was rescued by the last flight since weather was worsening. How long do you sit in the snow cave wondering whether anyone is coming? A week, two? Should you walk out while you're still strong or wait until your body has used up much of its reserves?

For people who've done SAR work, when are search efforts normally called off?

#116860 - 12/21/07 04:40 AM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: Russ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Russ
First it's an EDC knife, then a lighter, then a GPS, next thing you know one of these guys will start carrying a backpack with equipment to build a shelter even though he doesn't plan to stay overnight. THEN he starts carrying a piece of gear he hopes to never use, he joins a forum much like this one and shakes his head when he reads about other clueless people getting stuck in a wilderness area.

Sounds like a confession to me.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#116861 - 12/21/07 04:51 AM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
+1 on that.

I don't expect normal people to be prepared like us. I don't even expect us to always be as prepared as we'd like- we all have done the "I'm just going a mile to get milk" or "it's only a hundred yards off the road to get to those crab apple trees" and left everything but what is in our pockets behind.

In some ways they were better prepared than most of us are with our EDCs- they had a good saw. The difference between planning and luck sometimes is just do you make a habit of it?

I don't think the dad and the oldest son deserve medals, but they do deserve credit- everyone survived, even if the one daughter did get some frost bite. They got a shelter up. They stayed warm, even if it meant doing things that might seem counter intuitive to Joe Average. And he moved when he needed, rather than taking time to put his shoes on first.

In some ways, that they pulled it off without being like us is more worthy of merit than if we did it with our EDC.

Although it does nicely illustrate my point about a KISS pocket kit built around shelter for people who aren't as heavily trained.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#116871 - 12/21/07 10:08 AM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: ironraven]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Why is he driving in areas with snow in the first place like that? Either prepare to get stuck, don't go there, or turn back as soon as a key assumption fails (snow!). It appears he checked the weather forecast, saw no prediction of snow, and then started - and didn't turn back when the weather forecast proved wrong, even though a pick-up is not the best snow vehicle around...

Sure he could have hauled a lot of gear along to handle being stuck for days with the kids, but most people don't have that kit and can't afford it. A better answer might be, avoid that situation, don't drive a pick-up into snowy areas, turn back when weather is so much worse than forecast. And perhaps just take along the older boy, so you can perhaps take along a couple of thick blankets, etc.

One suspects that when snow was first seen on the road his comment may have been "hmm, snow, better hurry" not "Uh oh, I've got a truck full of kids & can't handle snow, time to head back, *now*".

I'm not sure the lesson here is so much prepare to spend the night in the woods as it is to know the limits of what you prepared to handle and turn back rather than go further. Dealing with a multitude of possibilities is expensive, but *not having to deal with them in the first place* is often a practical alternative.

#116877 - 12/21/07 12:52 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I dunno, I don't like passing judgement on such things. Were it me, I would've either planned to go up earlier, got more suitable transportation for those conditions, or bought a tree downtown. It seems like the father was stupid, lazy, cheap, and a little too egotistic. That he risked such an act with children without a back-up plan is reprehensible. I would encourage parents to take their kids into tough situations, but with the understanding that if things don't go as expected, then there should be an out; some alternative to recover the situation effectively. What he did is incompetent and he ought to be treated as such, not rewarded for being lucky.

#116897 - 12/21/07 02:31 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: ironraven
. . .Although it does nicely illustrate my point about a KISS pocket kit built around shelter for people who aren't as heavily trained.
My KISS kit is centered on navigation as most cases (just like this one) start with getting lost/turned around and "where the hell are we" sets in. A compass and map (assuming you know how to use that lost art), or a mapping GPS, or a compass, map and any GPS.

A non-mapping Garmin Geko can hold a whole bunch of waypoints and the first one you set before walking should be where your car is parked. Then mark points on the trail or just leave it on and it will mark your path. Getting lost is very easy, but not getting lost isn't that difficult.

My walking kit (Camelbak Rim Runner) has all I need to make an expedient shelter and boil water. Tea, chicken soup -- all the comforts of home. . .okay, not all, but enough for an unexpected overnight.

As for my "confession", I don't have a PLB yet, looking seriously at the SPoT, but will probably wait for Doug's final assessment and maybe v2.0.

#116901 - 12/21/07 02:35 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Another thought is that he was being a Dad and trying to bring back memories of cutting his own tree and turned it into a family thing. Not necessarily cheap, but very traditional. I remember doing the same thing with my Dad in the late 50's. After that we moved on to live trees and we planted them. . . most are quite tall now.

#117172 - 12/22/07 07:45 PM Re: Another family not prepared is saved [Re: stevenpd]
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
Originally Posted By: stevenpd
1. The unexpected can can happen at any time.

... but it usually happens when you least expect it grin

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 284 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.