Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#115753 - 12/13/07 04:42 AM PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I've posted a thread on how to store your woolens some time ago. Chris K. recommended to professionaly dry clean all your woolens before storage.

But now I just read that dry cleaning uses a toxic chemical called perchloroethylene (perc)and that it's classified as a probable human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer and that it's even banned in the state of California. It also has been designated under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act as a persistent, bio-accumulative chemical that is toxic to the environment.

Should I be concerned about dry cleaning? Should I look for a dry cleaner that doesn't use PERC? Or should I hand wash even "dry clean only" garments?

Thanks
Frankie

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/02-10/dry-cleaning-alternatives-eco.htm

#115759 - 12/13/07 04:59 AM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: Frankie]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
It seems like everything is a carcinogen nowadays. How I haven't died from cancer already really amazes me.

With that said, I don't think dry cleaning your woolens once a year will really bother you. Maybe if you got your suit for work dry cleaned every other day for 30 years it might, but even then my guess is it has the most effect on the people who work in dry cleaning places....and the ones I know are older than average, so I don't feel like I'm in that much danger. whistle

#115762 - 12/13/07 05:05 AM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Is your clothing being dry cleaned or you?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115772 - 12/13/07 09:33 AM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: ironraven]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Around here, dry cleaners were forced to switch away from Perc about a decade ago... The new chemical (which I gather is basically kerosene - and sure smells like it) doesn't seem to do as good a job as Perc. Heck, I remember dry cleaners using Carbon Tet - I've pictures of the 1939 worlds fair when they had a trench full of carbon tet, (to show if dry cleaning - walk in one end, and out the other - clothed, and get your clothes clean
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#116250 - 12/17/07 08:17 AM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: KG2V]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Wool has been harvested from sheep since before the Iron Age. People had two choices: wash it, or wear it until it rots off.

Dry-cleaning was invented in the mid-1800s. That's a span of 3000 years without dry-cleaning.

I don't know about men's Armani suits, but I would (and probably have) wash practically anything else made from wood: blankets, socks, casual wear, sweaters, etc.

Wool is hair. The best advice I ever received was to wash it with shampoo and then use a hair conditioner in the rinse water (Suave is fine) (washing machine on gentle is fine -- cold water). Hang to dry, or dry in very short increments at low temps in the dryer (check frequently -- it dries quickly, even heavy blankets).

Sue

#116268 - 12/17/07 01:45 PM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: Frankie]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I wore drycleaning required uniforms for over 30 years, didn't seem to do me much harm (except in the pocketbook). However, the county our home is in, (the only county in CA without a traffic signal), will not allow a drycleaner, due to the polution they creat...

#116286 - 12/17/07 03:58 PM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: Susan]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
I don't know about men's Armani suits, but I would (and probably have) wash practically anything else made from wood: blankets, socks, casual wear, sweaters, etc.

In my case it would be more like "Salvation Armani" suits but anyhow, would you hand wash Filson's or other whipcord wool pants?

Here is the method recommended at CustomWoolenMills:

Quote:

Wash Instructions
  • Fill your machine with warm water and soap. Agitate the water to dissolve the soap.
  • Stop the machine and add your wool.
  • Plunge gently up and down by hand to clean.
  • Let soak for a 15 minutes.
  • Set machine to spin and turn it on, allowing the machine to spin out the soapy water.
  • Fill your machine again with warm water to rinse.
  • Stop the machine (do not allow it to agitate the wool).
  • Add fabric softener.
  • Plunge gently up and down by hand to rinse.
  • Let soak for 15 minutes.
  • Set machine to spin and turn it on, allowing the machine to spin out the rinse water.
  • Hang to dry: comforters, sleeping bags, mattress pads, socks, mitts or hats. Lay flat to dry: sweaters.

Just remember... DO NOT agitate the wool!

So is it warm water of cold water?

There is also a "green" alternative to dry cleaning called "wet cleaning" that uses computer controlled washing machines. I don't know if I can find one here. And would they apply a moth proofing stuff anyway?

BTW, is it possible that this thread has been moved to Around the Campfire, I'm not sure but to my mind I have posted this thread in the Survival forum, but it's all right though.

Thanks
Frankie

#116289 - 12/17/07 04:34 PM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: Frankie]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I wash my heavy wool clothes (pants, sweaters, socks, hats, mitts) in a heavy duty washing machine in cold water, gentle cycle, with Sportwash detergent. I then lay them flat over a rack to dry. I also do not wash them more than is needed, often light dirt can be brushed away instead of washing.

Occasionally I will shrink something (my DW is bad for this) but since I wear extra-large size and my son is a large, I just pass the item down to him.

Mike

#116341 - 12/18/07 12:50 AM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: Frankie]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... would you hand wash Filson's or other whipcord wool pants?"

Yes, I would. Even if they were mine. :grin

IMHO, I don't see a great diffeence between warm and cold water. Fill your washer with warm water and stick your hand in it. Tepid, is more like it. Close enough to cold that it probably doesn't matter.

Just remember that there is also a product called 'wool felt'. It is created by heat and friction. You don't want to do that with your clothes or good blankets. Cool and slow is what you want.

I usually use a short 'gentle' wash for woolens just to swish any soil and body oil out of the fibers, and it has always turned out well. I received a queen-sized, primo wool blanket as a gift several years ago, and it is still light, soft and fluffy.

The blanket that my stubborn sister washed on a long cycle and dried for 40 minutes on (probably) med-high or high, is a hard, stiff, itchy mess, like wool felt cardboard. She is not allowed to wash anything of mine that even resembles wool. EVER AGAIN.

Sue

#116527 - 12/19/07 01:09 PM Re: PERC - a stain on the dry cleaning industry [Re: Susan]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the advice Susan. It's clarifying.

Frankie

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Eugene), 540 Guests and 140 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.