Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#116319 - 12/17/07 07:43 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Dan_McI]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Dan,

The attached article describes how the folks in Bermuda have collected and cleaned water for 100's of years. Might be a good starting point for some further research. Bermuda Cottages

BTW, that's one place in which I'd love to bug in, er, out, whatever. I've been lucky to have spent a lot of time there, a wonderful place with friendly people and beautiful vistas.

Interesting future thread, how do you cope if you're on vacation and disaster strikes?

#116321 - 12/17/07 08:18 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Andy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
A bit expensive, but this might be nice to use for a vessel to hold a filter. http://morebeer.com/view_product/8419/102211

Andy, Thanks, I'll read about the Bermuda cottages today.

#116328 - 12/17/07 11:07 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Dan_McI]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
While there's no easy way that I can think of to make a continual supply of activated carbon or activated charcoal in a long term emergency, charcoal by itself is still a chemical "filter". Though charcoal won't do as good a job as its activated self, I've read an article or two that stated using between four to ten times the amount of un-activated charcoal in comparison to activated charcoal will do a very good job. It's all about available surface area, and that's the magic of activated carbon/charcoal.

Also, you'll want to create as much surface area as possible to run the water through, so break down the large chunks of charcoal into smaller and smaller and smaller pieces.

So, if you're going to boil your water supply using wood, you may as well collect or make some charcoal while you're at it to use as a filter. It's not going to hurt.

Also, don't burn chemically treated woods...

#116331 - 12/17/07 11:27 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Nicodemus]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
So, if you're going to boil your water supply using wood, you may as well collect or make some charcoal while you're at it to use as a filter. It's not going to hurt.

Additionally, distilling the water before filtering through (activated) charcoal is an excellent purification strategy. Distillation removes everything except for a few volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that evaporate at a lower temperature than the water. Carbon (charcoal) filtration removes all of these VOCs very effectively.

Using the fire to do the distillation, then using the charcoal from the fire to do the carbon filtration not only seems like a very effective purification means, but it seems almost self sufficient as long as you can find wood for a fire.

#116335 - 12/17/07 11:45 PM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If collecting rainfall is viable for you, just go ahead and collect some, then have it tested. I think you'll be surprised at what you DON'T find. Do this first, before you go crazy with the purification systems.

From "Harvesting, Storing, and Treating Rainwater for Domestic Indoor Use" from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
http://rainwaterharvesting.tamu.edu/drinking/gi-366_2021994.pdf

"The water in a raindrop is one of the cleanest sources of water available. Rainwater can absorb gases such as carbon dioxide, oxygen, nitrogen dioxide, and sulfur dioxide from the atmosphere. It can also capture soot and other microscopic particulates as it falls through the sky. Nevertheless, rainwater is almost 100% pure water before it reaches the ground."

I see you are in NYC. I read a clever way to keep birds from perching on the peak of your roof: screw a sturdy eye-bolt into each end of your roof peak, then stretch some stainless steel wire or strong fishing line between them. That's it.

Sue

#116339 - 12/18/07 12:07 AM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Dan_McI]
Hornfrog Offline

Loc: Central Texas
What I am considering doing is using a cistern type collection system. In my area, most of the rain falls in the winter and early spring. Then we go 6 to 8 months with unpredictable amounts of rain. So, old timers in this area have done for many years, is have good gutters installed on their houses and outbuildings. Then have the water routed to go into a tank of some kind. I am buying a tank of poly 3,000 gallon capacity to be my above ground cistern. The water will be filtered in a filter similar in some ways to what you describe. If the first tank is a success I will add three more for a total capacity of 12,000 gallons to get us through the dry months. I want to make certain to have plenty of water for our yard, garden and orchard. If power goes in a severe problem we would have lots of soft potable water. My main concern for immediate use is for irrigating our food growing plants.

#116340 - 12/18/07 12:16 AM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: wildman800]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Wildman, Good luck rethinking your water gathering. If you find any food safe garbage size bags send me a PM. I've been searching for a supply of nonpoisonous garbage size bags for a while now, with no luck.

Edited by hamilton (12/18/07 12:18 AM)

#116511 - 12/19/07 04:53 AM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: hamilton]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Intro to distilation
http://lorien.ncl.ac.uk/ming/distil/distil0.htm

How it is done on submarines
http://www.fleetsubmarine.com/fresh_water.html

Solar Stills
http://www.txses.org/epsea/stills.html
http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/sstill.htm
http://www.rotarnet.com.au/users/9/9520/SolarWater/swp.html
http://www.davesplanet.net/solarstill/

If you would like them I have several links to building stills. These are primarily for alcohol but can work the same to purify water.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#116516 - 12/19/07 05:15 AM Re: Water, designing a system to clean a supply [Re: Raspy]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
In New Zealand many properties take their water supply from their own tank, which is filled by rainwater from the roof. No treatment is done, nor is it necessary. A simple diverter discards the first few minutes of rainfall (i.e. until the roof is "clean") and a grating deflects leaves and other debris.

Tank sizing at the beginning is very important, but if you don't get enough rain you can pay for a water tanker to show up (bit expensive though).

A

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 494 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.