Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#116117 - 12/16/07 05:36 AM Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter?

What are benefits of using a hunidifier ?

#116128 - 12/16/07 01:56 PM Re: Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Kinda depends I think. We spent the last three months of last year, and the first three of this at sea level, right on the water in WA state. Then moved to 6500 ft in Wyoming. Really dry air there. Within a week I got the nosebleed from hell. We are not talking a drip here, but a flow. Went to the local urgent care, where the dr worked on me for over two hours, and could not get it to stop. So then we drove 75 miles to a hospital, where they had to use cocaine to get it to stop. Thankfully I didn't have to take a drug test the next day. Dr said to put some neosporin type stuff in my nostrils, and get a humidifier. Did both, no more bleeds. We assume that going up in altitude, and to a much dryer air, was the cause, the humidifier was worth the money...

#116131 - 12/16/07 02:00 PM Re: Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter? [Re: picard120]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Using a humidifier will also stop the itchy dry winter skin that plagues many people.

OBG: The nose bleeds from Hell were part of the 6 month acclimatization that occurs when most Southerners move up north & into the drier air. I know exactly how you felt!!

#116149 - 12/16/07 05:25 PM Re: Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter? [Re: wildman800]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A certain amount of humidity makes a living space a lot more comfortable. Too much and you get condensation and mould.

I can tell when it's too dry at my house. I get little splits on the ends of my fingers, and they hurt like the dickens. I also start zapping things after I walk across the carpet -- potentially fatal for my computers.

House humidity comes from many sources -- the shower, cooking, plants, and people. In our house, add a clothesline in the basement and big open kettle on the wood stove.

Our new forced-air natural gas furnace has a humidifier installed. Every year I break down after a while and get the humidifier going on its lowest setting. I suppose this is more energy-efficient as well as being more comfortable, since water vapour holds a lot more heat than air.

#116155 - 12/16/07 05:36 PM Re: Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter? [Re: dougwalkabout]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Humidifiers help. The issue of mold is particular concern to me so I have to be careful when it comes to using a humidifier. However, I have found that if I drink enough non-caffeinated beverages throughout the day it takes care of the majority of the problem. Cold weather has a sneeky way of sucking the liquid right out of your body. Look at what happens in the fridge it something is not properly sealed. The same thing happens to the body. Having lived in upstate New York, northern Maine, Alaska, Tucson, The Republic of Panama, and Oklahoma (to name a few places) I have found that proper body hydration is the key.

#116213 - 12/17/07 12:01 AM Re: Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter? [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I know exactly how you felt!!..."

I felt like I was gonna bleed to death. Scared the crap out of my wife! I could feel the blood coming from waaayyyy up in the sinus cavities, the doctors kept trying to work on the nostril area...

#116232 - 12/17/07 04:44 AM Re: Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Humidifiers are helpful if you have a forced-air furnace, as forced air systems thoroughly dry the air as they heat.

Radiant heat, from radiators, doesn't dry the air so much, so humidification is not as necessary for these systems.

In other words, it depends on the type of heating system used in the building.

Edited by GarlyDog (12/17/07 02:11 PM)

#116267 - 12/17/07 01:33 PM Re: Is it necessary to use humidifier in the winter? [Re: picard120]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've found that most do more harm than good. When we ran a humidifier in our bedroom I would have to sleep with a blanket covering my nose as the moisture would gather there and it would get run and get very cold.
The first year we lived in our house we found it had been smoked in because the moisture from the humidifier sitting on the dresser by the wall caused the wall to bleed nasty brown stuff. Its no wonder we were sick so much, we had to buy a sander and sand that stuff out of there then paint everything good.
Now we've learned to only use the cool mist ones because the warm ones just breed nasty crap in them and the heating element rusts out wfter the first use and lets all the rust in the iar too since they are all made so cheaply.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 551 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
47 minutes 17 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.