Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115959 - 12/15/07 01:35 AM Used a part of my EDC today...
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

It was pretty scary though. I was at my local chain store getting some odds and ends, and then I was outside enjoying a drink I had bought. Then two high-school aged guys came out, very loud, crude, and rude. Probably the filthiest mouths I've heard in a long time, even for a factory worker like me that's heard a lot of colorful remarks. Obviously this caught my attention right away.

A young girl their age went out to join the two, and the poor girl looked scared to death, for good reason. The older-looking guy cursed at the girl, saying she had driven them and told her to find where they parked, and to also give him his stuff. She got something out of their bag - candy? - then hesitated when she tried to find her car keys. WHAM - the guy hits her upside the head for her trouble, and she could only glue her eyes to the ground after that, as he cursed at her some more. The two kids chuckled at this, and I couldn't believe it. I've never seen such callousness, especially so close to Christmas.

When they got to their car and pulled around I took my pen and pad I have on my EDC and wrote down the plate number (it was easy to read and remember, a vanity plate) and the car make. Then me and the security guard (he saw what happened as well) went to the service desk to report what had happened, and after reporting this to the police, they got the camera footage. After all this was said and done I left my contact info for both the cops and the service desk in case they needed to contact me again.

I hope they nail this punk and the poor girl can be convinced to press charges. I don't mean to put a damper on anybody's holiday, but I just wanted to share my story here and maybe get some thoughts if I did the right thing. Looking back I'm glad I was prepared with just the right tools to help out and be a good samaritan.

Anybody want me to keep you guys posted, if this story has a happy ending?

#115965 - 12/15/07 02:00 AM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
You did the right thing. If they were just loitering outside the store, maybe throwing out the occasional cuss word, I wouldn't have given it a second thought (pretty normal teenage behavior). But, there is no excuse for a guy whacking a girl upside the head like that. mad

#115967 - 12/15/07 02:09 AM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: Paul810]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
By taking the steps you did, you may have prevented something far worse from happening to the girl. Its sounds like some kind of abusive relationship that can never be good.

#115973 - 12/15/07 02:38 AM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
You did the right thing. If you had actually confronted them at the time things could have gone very bad. I've seen situations when a woman being abused turned against a samaritan trying to help. Any kind of domestic/relational situation is volatile. Good judgment on your part. Cudo's.

#115983 - 12/15/07 03:22 AM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: Blitz]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Agreed, you responded appropriately.

The temptation to bash heads together is strong in the moment; but that puts you square in the middle of a situation with dynamics you know nothing about. Too often these messes span many generations. And the bashing, while initially satisfying, may not in fact be the most helpful move in the long run.

That said, as a citizen of a democracy, it's your right and responsibility to speak up when wrongs are being committed. IMHO, if you shirk the responsibility, you erode the right.

If nothing else, it's worth building a paper trail on these characters. We all can guess where they're headed. It gives the police and the courts a better picture of the pattern of behaviour (i.e., a slick lawyer couldn't argue that it's an accidental, one-time thing that won't happen again).

#116006 - 12/15/07 01:38 PM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
You did the right thing in the right way. I agree with Blitz, if you had tried to intercede, you would have been fighting 3 not 2, because the female will almost always defend the lunkheads who are abusing her.

Remember, the strangest animals on this planet all get around on two legs, primarily. (beware of bi-pedals)

#116012 - 12/15/07 02:17 PM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: wildman800]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Thanks for the feedback guys! I wholeheartedly support the comments thus far. It's reassuring, but I still hope the girl is going to be OK. Hopefully the girl's parents are proactive and will keep her seperated from these creeps...

#116025 - 12/15/07 04:41 PM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Kudos on the response!! I agree that trying out some of my martial arts skills would have been great fun in that instance. But that would have gone against the first principle we learned in said training "The best fight is the one that never happens" You did everything you needed to do.

Also, since you were most likely not noticed by the punks you will probably not be targeted for retaliation later.

We can only make supplication to the Almighty that she and others like her will be able to be removed from those situations.

Again, kudos for doing the right thing.

#116077 - 12/15/07 11:50 PM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
As several of my cop friends have told me, "it's better to be a good witness".

#116078 - 12/16/07 12:01 AM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
More often than I would like to admit, I find myself forgetting about an article of my EDC that would really help in situations like that: the video capability of my camera phone. wink Quite possibly the best witness ever.

#116126 - 12/16/07 12:36 PM Re: Used a part of my EDC today... [Re: JCWohlschlag]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
In my younger days, I'm only 39 grin ; the two morons would have been lying on the ground unconscious and the girl filling out a police report. Now that I'm older and wiser,HA HA, I would have done the same thing you did but only at the insistance of my wife.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.