Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#112626 - 11/15/07 06:13 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: thseng]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: thseng
I've recently become interested in making my own tactical gear for similar reasons.

I might be willing to take a stab at something simple like a split-front MAV in yellow (might have to be yellow w/ black webbing) eventually - on strictly an amateur basis.

I wonder if there is a huge un-met demand out there for high-vis tactical gear. It seems that if someone tested the market and there turned out to be serious demand, the big names could jump right in simply by adding some other colors to their fabric inventory.

My personal experience with tactical gear is extremely limited but my experience with finding places to put gear is extensive and when I look at what's normal for EMT/Fire/SAR use they seem to be just regular vests with big pockets in the front (like the picture JIM posted above)...they're not 'load bearing' and in no way can they be customized. As a volunteer SAR member I have to provide all my own gear...why put it in a vest that it doesn't fit in? I can't be alone...there must be demand.

I like the tip about the light colored khaki or desert/coyote colors. They would blend in well and wouldn't look tacticool if paired with a nice pair of hard wear khaki pants which matched.

#112650 - 11/15/07 10:03 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
Ok here's a question that might have some bearing on this topic.

Can lets say OD green ammo pouch be bleached and then dyed the chosen color?

I think it would be okay for bags/jackets/etc., but not for anything load-bearing. The bleaching process may weaken the fibres of the material, so be careful. I suppose it's the same warning about putting stickers on, or painting, a motorcycle helmet- you have to know for sure that the stuff won't react with the helmet material and weaken it.

A

#112652 - 11/15/07 10:49 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: ame]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Good point.

It would seem that the best options are also the most expensive...but that's just how things go. I think I'm going to try a compromise. Stay with the standard SAR vest (it's the only freebie in the whole deal) but purchase pocket organizers similar to this.

I'll keep the items I need to get at fast where I know they're at. Any items which just won't fit I'll put on my belt...might end up with Batman syndrome but the price is right.

#112665 - 11/16/07 02:44 AM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: thseng]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I don't know if I would say high-viz, but certainly something other than mil-issued colors.

But I've also been trying to find a PALS holster for a revolver for four years now. The military contracts are too large, and the side market of mall ninjas and airsofters is just as big, so the LE portion gets dwarfed. I don't think the manufacturer's perceive there to be a large enough market for hiker/hunter items. Everyone who's interested, we should pick one or two makers and poke them as a group.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#112669 - 11/16/07 11:54 AM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: ]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
A lot of guys in the tactical forums spray paint their webbing to desired colors and it acctually looks good. Never seen it done with bright colors thou...

#112686 - 11/16/07 05:19 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: Polak187]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
a couple companies make decent SAR vests but (with one exception) none in bright colors that are worth a damn. I have spent years looking without success. I did find a few manufacturers willing to make current or custom products in any color of cordura, however you pay the price and wait times can be from extreme to ridiculous. I do have a custom manufactuer that is currently making a Bail-out bag for me, that I plan on having him build me a custom rig for SAR work... until that happy day I am still tinkering with my setup.

EMS vests like JIM posted have multiple issues that make them unsuitable for Wilderness SAR or even USAR. These vests (as another noted) are far from "Load Bearing" and most are uncomfortable after a short period of time. These vest may be good in some situations, carrying limited amounts of gear from an ambulance to a wrecked vehicle in a ditch for example they just don't work for SAR.

Special Force's Gear makes a couple SAR/Survival vests that they offer in Blaze Orange (and the cheaper one in Tan). I have used one of these in the past but found that it failed to fit my carrying needs in the long run. While this vest is IDEAL for mounted SAR work (ATV and Horse) it is uncomfortable with a pack and the attached expandable pack is not quite big enough for longer missions with more then personal survival equipment.

I have recently started using a TrueNorth Aerovest which is much better suited for SAR and is comfortable enough for use with pack. The vest carries enough for personal survival needs as well as some basic tools and medical gear. It is still black, but has some reflective on it. It is a load bearing vest and can be equipped with a belt and additional pouches. This vest is better suited for USAR (which it was designed for) and shorter simpler missions (less then 24 hours). In fact, setup right with a belt and additional pouches/packs this vest is more versatile then the SAR vests mentioned above (although the more expensive SAR vest is built by SoTech and it is bombproof).

Also a high quality vest, designed again primarily for USAR is Wolfpack Gear USAR Load Bearing Harness. Again, it is comfortable and can be expanded with a belt and pouches. But again, is only offered in Black.

In the end, for longer missions I choose to simply use a larger radio chest rig that I can carry some basic survival stuff and admin tools in and keep the rest of my kit in pockets and the lion's share in a good pack like the Conterra Longbow Ranger (link chosen for it's pictures, after the exceptional service I have received from Conterra I purchase all my stuff direct).

Edited by Alan_Romania (11/16/07 05:21 PM)

#112693 - 11/16/07 06:39 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: Alan_Romania]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Well that answers my question, I just talked to Nick over at County.com and he said you can't bleach or dye Codura Nylon.
I guess I should have known that but then me not being a taylor or in the textile business I guess it slipped by me. Was worth a try though.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#112699 - 11/16/07 09:39 PM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I just came up with another idea to compromise. First, I love the harnesses Alan referenced...looks like awesome hardware but don't think they'd be quite right once I have the yellow vest on for visibility AND a backpack.

I was thinking about my previous post about putting stuff on my belt instead and I realized that this too is a bad option as I could need to wear my backpack and it has a very wide weight supporting belt which would interfere.

I'm now thinking about supplementing my load bearing needs with MOLLE drop legs so that I don't need so much load bearing out of the vest. They also seem to come in a much wider range of colors and aren't nearly as expensive.

#112724 - 11/17/07 03:05 AM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: ]
Sundance Offline
Stranger

I don't know if this is pertinent to "load bearing" gear,but Gerber makes 1 or 2 hydro packs in screaming fluorescent green,fire resistant material w/reflective strapping.The 1 I got Only holds about 300 cu.in., but comes with a 70 oz. semi rigid reservoir for either hot/cold fluids which, if needed, could be removed and filled with more gear( just checked-the other unit is strictly hydration). Has anyone else checked these out?

#112728 - 11/17/07 03:31 AM Re: Load bearing tactical gear in yellow? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Try it for a while. You'll discover that you NEED suspenders.

You might also discover how well you can walk when you feet fall asleep- in my experience, most drop leg stuff is going to bounce and shift unless tighten it up more than you want if you are going to be on foot or wearing it for an extended period. I'll wear them for short term, but not for the long haul. One thing I have found is that it works better (at least for me) if it is very little drop, so it rides high on the thigh/low on the hip. Other people's results might very.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 264 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.