The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#115680 - 12/12/07 08:23 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: paramedicpete]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
Very good point. As far as I know the laws here are very good in that regard. I am not anywhere near the level of training as someone like yourself. My training involved mostly battlefield injury, such as shrapnel wounds, burns and moving soldiers out of armoured vehicles by pulling on TAC vest straps and the like. Most of this has little place in the Civilian world. Maybe I should find a suitable replacement for the quick clot.

#115681 - 12/12/07 08:33 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Taurus
Originally Posted By: JIM

Your list also seems good. Some things you should add:

- Gauze, lots of the stuff. Make sure you have 4x4 and kerlix-rolls. The more, the better
- more gloves and a pair of working gloves
- flashlight and safety-vest
- lots and lots of tape. a Roll of Duct-tape is also usefull
- blankets, both wool and mylar

Also, realise that quick-clot and CAT are last-resort means to stop a bleed. Use them only when all other methodes fail.

Once again, Thanks for the ideas. Its Great to draw from professional experience. I am by no means an expert.
I wanted to keep the kit small enough to keep in the front of my truck in the console, so if I am the one in the accident it is within my easy reach. If I am hurt it would be very hard to crawl to the back of my quad cab to grab the kit from under the rear seat storage bin. Weight is not an issue as I won't be carrying it, but size is. I didn't add any gauze as the shell dressings appeared to be enough, and to keep the size down. There are some items that are always stored in the truck such as an LED headlamp, duct tape, gloves, etc which would always be of use. I don't have a safety vest but I always have road flares. The quick clot and C-A-T tourniquet I use because I have training to use them and I can get them, along with the shell dressings and triangular bandages for free. I hope to never have to use quick lot on a stranger though, especially if it was a child. I have seen a hard core soldier bust into tears and scream at the top of his lungs when the Medics had to close a wound with quick clot.

HemCon-bandages (shrimp-bandages) and Gauze have their own place. Furthermore, HemCon is $80/100 per bandage mad and they do the same thing as Quick-Clot. I would suggest that you pick just 1 and definately get some gauze. 2-3 rolls of Kerlix will get you a long way, won't break your bank ($2-3 a roll) and if you get Pri-Med gauze (wich is even cheaper), it packs down quite small (a deck of cards).

Also, what kind of Quick-Clot do you have? The original,powder form does get quite hot, as oppose to the newer ACS+ and 1st-Response versions.

#115684 - 12/12/07 09:01 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: JIM]
Taurus Offline
Addict

I only have the original stuff. It is Currently Army issue and comes in small olive drab vacuum sealed pouches. I use it only because it is available. It does get very hot when it is applied to wounds. I have only seen it used once to close a wound, and I won't be forgetting that anytime soon. I think the guy actually passed out from the pain, but he lived.

#115696 - 12/12/07 10:47 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Mylar emergency blankets can also be used to keep rain and snow off a victim, and off the people caring for him. I passed an accident once where it looked like a couple of civilians were stretching an emergency blanket over the victim and the paramedics caring for him (or her) in the rain.

It may not be a necessity, but it certainly could be a kindness. In bad weather, I'll be those paramedics run from one accident to the next, without taking time to change to dry clothes.

Sue

#115704 - 12/12/07 11:32 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Susan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'll agree with the gauze, blankets, GLOVES and ice packs. Also, given you're in Canada, how about some of the heat packs? 1 in each armpit and 2 in the groin can help maintain heat.

Ace bandages- you can't sit there holding pressure all day if there are multiple wounds.
4x4's. They're dirt cheap, and you can save the bigger trauma bandages for the real nasty wounds.
Second duct tape.
If you're comfortable, a C-collar. Just beware of the legal ramifications of leaving somone alone that you've applied a collar to.

One of these days I'll get around to posting my car's FAK.

#115711 - 12/13/07 12:01 AM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
After spending 30+ years responding to traffic accidents, more than 20 of them as an EMT, I figured out what I needed more than anything, so, even tho I had a pretty good kit, compete with oxygen, hard collars, etc, what I stuck right on top, for easy access, a bunch of ziploc bags, each one packed with a stack of 4x4's, a roll of Kling (or whatever is available now, a roll of stick to itself gauze), a roll of surgical tape with one corner turned under (peeling up the end of tape with gloves on is a bummer), and a pair of those gloves. Add a pocket mask, with one way valve, if you know CPR, and a pair of EMT shears. We had "body blankets" in the vehicles, but add anything to help keep body heat in and the weather out. Down a tad deeper a couple of sanitary pads, for lacerations larger than a 4x4.

If you have the trng, some vaseline gauze for a sucking chest wound, and some sterile saline if you are lucky enough to encounter an abdominal evisceration. But with enough of those 4x4's you can do a lot of good...

#115742 - 12/13/07 03:46 AM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy

If you have the trng, some vaseline gauze for a sucking chest wound, and some sterile saline if you are lucky enough to encounter an abdominal evisceration. But with enough of those 4x4's you can do a lot of good...

The training I have with sucking chest wounds is strictly of a military nature, Bullets or frag as opposed to shattered ribs against a steering wheel. As such I carry an Asherman chest seal in my hunting packs trauma kit (the self adhesive one with the little rubber valve in the middle) I don't have it in the truck because It is designed for a single puncture, as which could result in a hunting accident. Maybe I will toss one in the truck if it is something common to vehicle accidents though. I am not trained to use I.V, saline, or fancy stuff and as such I will stay in my own lane and do only what I know. I would hate to make matters worse for someone. The whole point of the kit is only to keep an airway open, stop bleeding and prevent shock until the professionals arrive on the scene. As such, the first thing I plan to do is call, or have someone else call 911. I have seen some bad things in my time, but was always fortunate to have a Medic at hand. I honestly wouldn't know how to handle an abdominal evisceration.

Just a quick question OBG. Would you recommend a rescue knife, like the Gerber hinderer or a life hammer to be the better tool?? I figure the first thing after calling for help would be to get the person out of the vehicle somehow. With 30 plus years under your belt, you must have done it more than a few times. I carry a bunch of tools in the Ram, but none are specifically designed for rescue. I plan to add one of these to have within easy reach, just in case.

#115779 - 12/13/07 01:13 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I'll second the Ziploc bag method.
The big kit is totally secondary to the bag of stuff to stop the leaks and plugs the holes - and the majority of that is 4x4 and 6x6 sponges, tape, Sticky Gauze, Shears, Mask and Nitrile Gloves. Under that is a blanket and a towell. I do the current version of CPR - compressions only - and don't need/have the CPR mask anymore.

I used this kit at a motorcycle wreck I happened upon in New York City not too long ago, it did exactly what I needed and best of all the paramedics that showed up replenished my kit for me from their stock right there on the scene!

#115780 - 12/13/07 01:15 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: paramedicpete]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
wool blankets are constantly on sale at Sportsmansguide.com - that's where we buy ours for the fire company.

#115807 - 12/13/07 04:39 PM Re: Accident trauma kit [Re: Taurus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Taurus

Just a quick question OBG. Would you recommend a rescue knife, like the Gerber hinderer or a life hammer to be the better tool?? I figure the first thing after calling for help would be to get the person out of the vehicle somehow. With 30 plus years under your belt, you must have done it more than a few times. I carry a bunch of tools in the Ram, but none are specifically designed for rescue. I plan to add one of these to have within easy reach, just in case.

I third the ziploc method.

To get people out of the car? Try opening the door. Really, a little muscle goes a long way. If you can't get them out that way, you probably shouldn't be getting them out. Let the professionals do that. I don't think Good Sam laws will do much good after you've paralyzed someone by enthusiastically "rescuing" them when they were trapped but in no danger.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, SRMC), 599 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.