Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#115533 - 12/11/07 11:55 PM Re: Nalgene water bottle pulled from shelves [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Actually Susan, cancer rates are in decline.

Of course, we could do like Chilie did and ban the use of chorine in water purification plants. Sure, the resulting cholera outbreaks resulted in many deaths among children and other weak individuals, but at least it was a "natural" death by naturally occuring bacteria. wink

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115554 - 12/12/07 02:09 AM Re: Nalgene water bottle pulled from shelves [Re: dougwalkabout]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
On the topic of PETE, yes- truth and hype. Same way there is with BPA and eventually with nickle and chromium from stainless, it isn't enough to matter for an adult human.

And when I talk about scuzzed Nalgenes being more likely to leach, remember, it is the inside surface that is important here. Outside isn't in contact with your water, so unless you've been using it to store something like nails in or scouring it with steel wool, you'll be fine. I use mine every day, and last time I had blood work done my hormones were fine. smile

And they should all be hand washed. Dishwashers suck on water bottles.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#115574 - 12/12/07 03:16 AM Re: Nalgene water bottle pulled from shelves [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Blast, actually I meant over the last 100-200 years. When the CDC says the cancer rates are down, it just probably means a lot more people have died and are no longer in the figures.

Government figures are different than what we tend to think. When they say unemployement is down, what they really mean is that more people have run out of unemployement benefits and are living under bridges.

So what's wrong with cholera? If it was good enough for our ancestors, it should be good enough for us. wink

Sue

#115588 - 12/12/07 04:21 AM Re: Nalgene water bottle pulled from shelves [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
actually I meant over the last 100-200 years.

Susan, as a scientist I need to point out a few things. I'm not picking on you in particular, just certian beliefs.

First, in the last 100-200 years our life spans have almost doubled. It seems whatever we are doing the good results are blowing the bad results away!

Second, the ability to diagnose cancer (and other aliments) has improved dramatically in the last 200 years so of course the number of cases will appear to increase.

Basically, the past sucked for most of mankind. Take away the what IS THOUGHT to be bad in this modern world and you lose a lot more that keeps us healthy.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#115606 - 12/12/07 11:43 AM Re: Nalgene water bottle pulled from shelves [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan

So what's wrong with cholera? If it was good enough for our ancestors, it should be good enough for us. wink

Sue

Part of what seperates us from animals is the ability to learn. We lrean that sometimes things that were accepted in the past are bad for us so we have to change our ways. Lead paint was fine in the past why not use it now, smoking was accepted in the past so why no do it now? There are many more examples like that.
Its ok though, I have to keep making the same point to my parents and my in laws. Both insist that you put infants to sleep on their stomach despite all the evidience showing thats the least safe way to do it and everything now quotes the "back to sleep" to remind you to place them on their back. They seem to forget that the infant death rate was much higher in the 60's and 70's and that things like switching from tummies to backs to sleep was something we learned since then.
If we all followed the "If it was good enough for our ancestors, it should be good enough for us" then forums like this wouldn't exist since there would be no need for new gear or techniques to learn about.

Edited by Eugene (12/12/07 11:44 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.