Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#115625 - 12/12/07 02:04 PM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: Susan]
jjmagnum Offline

Originally Posted By: Susan
Now, I would hate to think that Grandpa LIED, but.... aren't most "youth rifles" .22 caliber? Can you easily kill a bear with a .22?

Yes, yes, I know: my cynicism is flaring up again! But I would bet a whole quarter that there are at least two bullets in that bear. And I'll bet another quarter that one of them isn't a .22.

Sue

Sue I got a look at his "Youth Rifle" on the video news clip this morning. It looked like a New England Firearms (or H&R) single shot. In which case it could be about any caliber he could handle. "Youth Rifle" designations happen when manufacturers supply the rifle with a shorter than average stock for use by a person of smaller stature. Even with the "Youth" stock it looked big next to him.

The only comment I have is that there must be no requirement for age on a hunting license in Arkansas and there must be no "Hunter Safety Class" requirement.

#115627 - 12/12/07 02:32 PM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Hey Blast,

Make sure it's the Red Rider BB Gun Edition that has the magnetic compass in the butt stock.

That way DD1 will know which way to drag her deer to get it home,,,,,for you to clean!!!

#115631 - 12/12/07 02:49 PM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: jjmagnum]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

Quote:
The only comment I have is that there must be no requirement for age on a hunting license in Arkansas and there must be no "Hunter Safety Class" requirement.

Link. (Thanks Goodsearch!)

Quote: "A hunter born after 1968 must carry a valid Hunter Education card. A card is also required of youth applicants for permit hunts. Hunters under 16 do not need to have a card if they are under the direct supervision of a holder of a valid hunting license at least 21 years of age."

Not sure about the age requirements for a license. I'll bet it is similar to the reg quoted above regarding adult supervision.

#115632 - 12/12/07 02:57 PM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: Themalemutekid]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

"When a man wants to murder a tiger he calls it sport; when a tiger wants to murder him he calls it ferocity." ~ George Bernard Shaw

#115633 - 12/12/07 02:57 PM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: norad45]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I grew up in WV and I don't think there was any age limit there. We were hunting under landowner status so I didn't need a license. I live in a different state now and just about the time I was going to have my parents sell me an acre of their land so I could qualify as landowner they changed it to be resident landowner. And residnet status must meet a minimum number of days living there which exceed the number of vacation days I get so I lost out there and now have to have a license. They still have a lifetime license though that I'm going to get one of these days.

#115635 - 12/12/07 03:05 PM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: jjmagnum]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: jjmagnum
Originally Posted By: Susan
Now, I would hate to think that Grandpa LIED, but.... aren't most "youth rifles" .22 caliber? Can you easily kill a bear with a .22?

Yes, yes, I know: my cynicism is flaring up again! But I would bet a whole quarter that there are at least two bullets in that bear. And I'll bet another quarter that one of them isn't a .22.

Sue

Sue I got a look at his "Youth Rifle" on the video news clip this morning. It looked like a New England Firearms (or H&R) single shot. In which case it could be about any caliber he could handle. "Youth Rifle" designations happen when manufacturers supply the rifle with a shorter than average stock for use by a person of smaller stature. Even with the "Youth" stock it looked big next to him.

Yea, It looked like an H&R youth rifle. If that's the case they currently comes in 243 Rem, 223 Rem, 243 Win., and 7mm-08. Plenty for large game with a good shot.

#115695 - 12/12/07 10:36 PM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: Eugene]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Eugene, there are usually mobile butchers who will come out to your place, kill and butcher the animal right there, and then hand it over to you.

You could probably find them in the Yellow Pages under Butchering, or have a word with your local large animal veterinarian.

Sue

#115720 - 12/13/07 12:32 AM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: norad45]
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
I think, since there are only a limited number of tags given out, that subsistence hunters should be given priority, because believe it or not, many would starve if not for hunting. Why should sport hunting interfere with a family merely trying to survive? Also, if I were the dude, anyone who killed on public lands merely for a rack or head would lose hunting priveledges for life. Tough doohdoohs!
Also, if deer populations were not curtailed as much by hunting, the reduced predator populations would probably rebound, which might actually be a good thing. Predators are much better at "thinning out" the herd, genetically speaking, thus promoting better offspring. Human hunting, as casual as it is, probably only serves to weaken the herd by removing the strongest reproductive members.
I am all for hunter/gatherer living and for permaculture. Anything else seems overly inefficient, destructive and cruel.
We humans used to live by nomadic hunting/gathering, but some weak guy decided to settle down and the forests were destroyed to make way for agriculture and the meat industry, so he could sit there and create cities. Cough, cough! We can't just up and be hunter/gatherers again. The carrying capacity of the land is already full. But, if we replace agriculture and the meat industry with family permaculture farms, we would all be fed, healthier, happier, probably live longer, and the carrying capacity of the land would be maximally increased. Then maybe some of could go back to a hunter/gatehrer lifestyle without contributing to the dwindling of already strained resources.

#115721 - 12/13/07 12:47 AM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My parents farm is way out there and the closest town doesn't even have a grocery store anymore. The trip charge for anyone to come out is more than what it would cost to buy the meat in the store. Its gotten to where they hate to even call the vet because the trip charge is so high. UPS won't deliver there if I try to ship them something.

#115722 - 12/13/07 12:51 AM Re: Five Year Old Boy Kills Bear [Re: Paul810]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I still have my "youth" rifle. I have a 22hornet and 20 gauge barrel for it and looked it up on their web site and can send it in to have others fitted such as 12 gauge, etc. The youth part is as others have said shorter. Its my bug out shotgun now since its small and lightweight.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, jds, UncleGoo), 188 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.